What four rifle calibres - factory ammo

David Hancock

Which 4 (better which 4 categories) has to reflect your quarry(and/or target comps )-if you shoot large plains game,and dangerous African-that's two no compromise must haves :if you shoot lots of close in bunnies,and don't Safari-you  have diffferent options.

There are also various legal issues worldwide (and different). OK,mine are one each from :

!7rem/204/222/223 class,for small quarry out to say 250,gimme distance for these cartridges

243/6mm /6BR/maybe some 6.5s, for medium  size  up to smaller/medium deer quarry or a bit further distance for the small quarry.

308 or similar (3006/284 etc) for big  UK quarry 

4th....well,depending on useage etc,could be an expansion of any/overlap above-though the above three cover most pretty well....how about a 17/22rf where quarry is small,with very short ranges,and 'minimum disturbance'? Or even a general purpose target rifle-though one only, has to be a compromise (6BR;6.5)...12g shotgun maybe-but not if only as a (slug) rifle.

I don't think wildcats would change much-of course there are some good ones within each 'category' but very few that change the parameters enough.

All hypothetical,verging on 'in extremis,'of course,just camp fire  chat for those Desert Island Disc type characters.

gbal

I've not had too many calibers, but i love the following -

FAC Air in .25 Cal.

.22LR

.204/.223? Apologies, can't decide! .204R Lazer flat, and good distance for caliber. .223Rem, versatility...

6.5 CM God i love that rifle/caliber....

Chaz

• 3 weeks later...

Well I had to shoot a rat the other week,  under my range cooker at about 3 feet !!.  so factory ammo users only:

177 air rifle at sub 12 ft lbs.

17 Hornet centerfire,    ( could do without this if only 3 needed)

1 of either 204, 222 or 223

6.5x55  ( no experience of these new 6.5 cals such as Creedmore)

A

Hi Geoff.  Happy New Year, trust you are well.  Answering my own post, these will be my 4:-

.177 Air - HW100 running at 11.4ft/lbs

.22LR - CZ Varmint fluted - loving Eley Match

.17 Hornet - just got my ticket as I swapped out my .223.  Now have to get the rifle.  

6.5 Creedmoor - Bergara HMR

For me it would be

.25 fac air  it does most of what my .22 lr did rabbits rats ect variable power 

.17  hmr  rabbits over the range of the pcp 

.22 hornet foxes and just the fun of shooting it .

i have had 223 and 308 but they would be too much for the land I shoot on now 

Archived