Purdey "THE MOST ACCURATE BEST LONDON BOLT-ACTION RIFLE EVER PRODUCED."

Moorlander

55 minutes ago, Moorlander said:

Thats one way of putting potential buyers off , Yardley , the leading **llend of the shooting world.

You may think so, but as I have discovered recently, there's plenty of shooting people that have a "Touch of the Yardleys"

""The most accurate BEST LONDON bolt action rifle ever produced".......the phrase "BEST LONDON" is a meaningful one (implying the bespoke upper market (possibly even 'gentleman's'rifle,though that is too non PC really) and means ...as made by the likes of Purdey,Holland,,and such top rank (expensive) makers/retailers in London (perhaps Rigby too?)

Price then is in context,and used to be given in guineas...still be 'expensive' ,of course. We are  not really comparing an H&H royal s/s 12 guage to a Hatsan pump action.Only the former would be a clear 'London best 'gun,whichever others might consider 'better' by some other criterion (though not 'quality').

Horses for courses. It will probably be supplied in a travel  AImbox,in leather and brass,and not cammo. 

Bradley b/a s are probably good,but maybe a different market?

Don't worry Les,I doubt that it will be an F class contender, nor that a new "London Best" class will be initiated at  Diggle, or even Bisley.

For London's Best urbanite big game hunters usually active around the great plains of Knightsbridge where they can be seen either parading in Range Rover's finest or driving Lambo Aventadors and flying falcons off gloved arms when not attending to their oil fields afar.  Nothing else will do.

Apparently it's as accurate as a £1200 rifle. 

Beautifully made no doubt, but at £32K, it's also a Mickey take.  Remove the scroll work, and that knocks a fair few guineas off the asking price but then it wouldn't be  London Best would it?

A true gentleman's rifle would also retain open sights, surely? 

Whether or not the rifle is worth the money really is a pointless discussion here as most likely none of us are in the lucky position to afford such a luxury in a disposable manner the way that the people who will buy it will.

In a previous life I have worked and travelled with guys who were worth many hundreds of millions of pounds up to a couple who were billionaires. A £32,000 rifle to people who are in this position really is nothing, in context it would be like it costing us £32 or less for such a rifle. Now in that context if you had a big game shoot planned even for the first time as a guest you would arrive with more than one of these rifles just to ensure you fitted in. There would also be a very strong possibility that the pair you buy end up unused afterwards if your didn't enjoy the mozzies while on the trip.

Ive stood with guys who have spent £100,000 to take a few mates pheasant shooting for 3 days or well over £100k for 3 days salmon fishing in Iceland plus the cost of taking their jet. Its a world I have seen first hand many times but not a one I belong to, nice for those who can. 

Purdy and the other similar marques are not interested in our opinions on the price or the product, they have a niche and there are plenty of people to sell to. The amount of wealth in this country that flies well under the radar of the average man has to be seen to be believed or understood, I found it mind boggling and at times more than a little upsetting.

On December 10, 2017 at 7:02 PM, bradders said:

Tested by Yardley

OH GOD 

On December 11, 2017 at 12:35 PM, bradders said:

I'm going to start offering engraving to my "Really the Best London Guns

I have a Dremel for the metalwork and a hot soldering iron for doing plastic stocks

Then have Yardley test it? lol

Archived