6mm Creedmore - Real world

maltbuck

Morning folks.

Has anyone got actual real world experience of the 6mm Creedmore, particular when using the new Lapua 6.5 brass. If you read / listen to all the hype on the US forums it would seem to be the new megastar!

But in reality how does it compare to say the 6xc, or 6mmBR / Dasher for mid range work ie 400-800?

ATB,

MB

The US website Rifle Shooter has quite a few details on load development for the 6 mm Creedmoor and its performance at various ranges, plus other details.

https://rifleshooter.com/category/6-creedmoor/

I'm sure there are plenty of other reviews should you do a search for them.

Just chambered a barrel in 6mm Creedmoor. It's replacing my 6mmSmack (improved version of the 6-6.5x47 Lapua) which would shove a 105gn match bullet at around 3400fps.

The Creemoor has a little more capacity so I'm hoping it will be a good round out to 1000 yds for benchrest.

Of course, it's not going to out-shoot the big 'sevens' in F Class at longer ranges but I just enjoy shooting the little sixes.

I'm about to start testing and hopefully get it working on a single-base powder - otherwise barrel-life could be limited.

Fortunately, Hornady do dies for the 6mm Creedmoor.

Just chambered a barrel in 6mm Creedmoor. It's replacing my 6mmSmack (improved version of the 6-6.5x47 Lapua) which would shove a 105gn match bullet at around 3400fps.

The Creemoor has a little more capacity so I'm hoping it will be a good round out to 1000 yds for benchrest.

Of course, it's not going to out-shoot the big 'sevens' in F Class at longer ranges but I just enjoy shooting the little sixes.

I'm about to start testing and hopefully get it working on a single-base powder - otherwise barrel-life could be limited.

Fortunately, Hornady do dies for the 6mm Creedmoor.

Did you get good accuracy at 3400 fps with the SMACK Vince or was it better lower down? What sort of barrel life did the SMACK return?

I too have considered 6 Creedmoor as a benchrest cartridge, what speeds are you hoping for?

Al, I was running mine around 3300fps in F Class but Jeanette was using 4500 fps with good 1000yd BR accuracy.

Barrel-life? Two seasons - i.e. about 500 rounds.

I'm hoping the 6mm Creedmoor will give me at least couple of hundred fps over the Dasher.

Al, I was running mine around 3300fps in F Class but Jeanette was using 4500 fps with good 1000yd BR accuracy.

Barrel-life? Two seasons - i.e. about 500 rounds.

I'm hoping the 6mm Creedmoor will give me at least couple of hundred fps over the Dasher.

What was Jeanette getting Vince, Im guess thats a typo? ;)

Thanks for the replies, have been off grid this last week so only just seen the posts.

My interest is in comparing it to the 6XC, when we consider the questions of brass, powder volume and primers, I.e.:-

The quality of Lapua 6.5 Creedmore brass vs Norma 6xc, particularly in regards to the idiosyncrasies of necking Down brass.

Small primer advantages in relations to pressure issues of loose primers etc, vs the "potential" disadvantage of large powder volume to small primer ratio.

Then we have the issue going forwards of no more H4350 due to Euro regulations (but then we always have the Brexit factor!)

And then the outright accuracy in real world terms vs 6mmXC - accepting that 6mm BR is king from 300-600!

Regards,

MB

Thanks for the replies, have been off grid this last week so only just seen the posts.

My interest is in comparing it to the 6XC, when we consider the questions of brass, powder volume and primers, I.e.:-

The quality of Lapua 6.5 Creedmore brass vs Norma 6xc, particularly in regards to the idiosyncrasies of necking Down brass.

Small primer advantages in relations to pressure issues of loose primers etc, vs the "potential" disadvantage of large powder volume to small primer ratio.

Then we have the issue going forwards of no more H4350 due to Euro regulations (but then we always have the Brexit factor!)

And then the outright accuracy in real world terms vs 6mmXC - accepting that 6mm BR is king from 300-600!

Regards,

MB

Are you looking to shoot this in benchrest/other competition or is it a plinking/vermin gun?

There aren't any issues for small primer brass with charges around the 40gn mark. SR primer 308 'Palma' brass has become the norm in FTR with charges up to 50gn, and as well as that I've been using necked down 308 Palma in 7mm-08 with 50gn charges of Viht N165 and good results. Unless ... you contemplate a bit of really cold weather shooting that is ....

Necking down 6.5 to 6mm is no different from or difficult than my usual 308 to 7mm reforming job. The brass will thicken a little, so if you envisage a small-clearance no-turn chamber you'd need to allow either for that or a mild neck-turn.

BREXIT will NOT provide any panacea for REACH changes. Nobody in HMG, the HSE etc is going to abandon the new EU standards in the short term and most likely not in the long-term either.

Reload Swiss RS62 and IMR-4451 are very good REACH compliant alternatives to H4350, maybe Viht N150/550 too.

Archived