Sabatti STR Rifle review

Zzrpilot

So Today I got to strip a Sabatti STR rifle.

The trigger adjustment was the excuse but I wanted to see how well they are made also

The answer is very well indeed...

The Fore end / handguard is held on with 9 Machine screws, 3 each side and 3 below. This means it is very well anchored onto the main chassis (unlike most).

With the fore end removed you can see how thick the barrel truly is and the overall finish is excellent no skimping on the concealed bits.

After removing the pistol grip the barrel and action is held with 2 action screws, the rear one passes through the trigger guard unit which also has the magazine release built in.

With the trigger guard removed you could adjust the trigger with no further disassembly as the adjuster and lock nut are clearly visible.

However I removed the barrel and action from the chassis.

The chassis is a solid piece well machined and with a quality finish, from a mechanical engineering point of view it is well thought through and manufactured, with the barrel and action snugly held in place by high tolerance manufacturing even before the screw are fitted.

Trigger was adjusted to 1Lb 4oz

Very happy I got a chance to fully strip one of these for a client ( I have not taken ours apart yet ) and even more happy with the build quality.

The Sabatti STR does not just look a very well made, well put together rifle, it is a very well made and put together rifle.

Is this the MK1 or MK2 I haven't attempted to strip mine yet (MK1) .I am trying to find out if it would be possible to fit a larger capacity magazine to the gun AI style like the MK2.

It was a Mk1 and you would need to re machine the receiver to fit a larger magazine...

strange the website quotes 28 inch .

When first introduced the 6.5 Creedmoor version was listed as 24-inches on Sabatti's website and that's what the original deliveries were. An acquaintance who is in the gun trade fancied one, but as it was entirely for range use queried whether 26-inches was available and told 'yes - as a special order, will take an estimated six weeks' - 3 months later he was still waiting.

Then .... every one arriving was 26-inches in this calibre. 28-inches I've not seen quoted anywhere and it would make no sense for a rifle in this category / market.

• 2 years later...

I have the STR desert tactical in .300 win mag with an IOR crusader scope to help with the long shots.  Great rifle at a sensible price that weighs a tonne, but that helps to give it rimfire recoil.  The bolt was a bit rough at new, but I gave it a good oil and after some use it is now nice and smooth, the trigger was superb for me out of the box, and the old addage of if it works don't fix it comes to mind.

• 1 year later...