Galloway 1000yard BenchRest shoot – 16th April 2017

mole-e30

Galloway Small Arms Club

Gelston 1000 yard BenchRest shoot – 16th April 2017

Weather!! If I recall correctly Saturday was OK, Monday was OK too, in fact brilliant sunshine, so what about Sunday? We had precipitation (they used to call it rain), wind and mist, but at least no thunder and lightning. I am convinced whoever controls the weather is a fully paid up member of the anti-gun lobby. Anyway we are tough, we persevered and had a great day – so there!

Darrell said about 20 were expected including a few visitors to see what it’s all about, well we had 15, guess the rest are still on their way, hopefully they’ll make it next time.

After a bit of judicious scheduling by Mr Leslie we’re ready - 4 Factory Sporters up first. Relay 1 – well we’re off to a cracking start, well David Sharp is 6.7”, not a bad start at all, nobody else can get near this, the next nearest is 14” then 2 at 23”. But can David keep it up? Relay 2 – Geoff McCluskey’s turn this time with 7.5” unfortunately his colleagues, including David are out in the high teens and bigger. Relay 3 – back to David as he gets a well-deserved 8.8”, a 10” for Bob Dobie, unfortunately Ed Walker and Geoff now start to see penalties, 1 for Ed and 3 for Geoff- why? The right to left wind was dropping right off and then coming back up during the 5 mins shooting period causing a significant left to right shift – in Ed and Geoff’s case off the edge of the board. Final relay – Bob has the best group but it’s still 12”, Geoff gets well punished as the ruler isn’t big enough and the butts crew have to estimate his group size. So David has the early lead in Factory Sporter with an agg. of 11.5” – that’s pretty good in today’s conditions.

This has not been easy for these shooters, this wind is very fickle, let’s see how the next detail do – oh hell, now we can barely see the targets.

Detail two; 4 Light guns, including yours truly. As we get set up we can see the tennis balls (for those not familiar with the set up the tennis balls are “aiming marks” on the back stop) but our spotter hasn’t a price of seeing the sand splash. Sighting-in is going to be a nightmare. The butts crew can get a glimpse of the splash but from their “safe zone” giving accurate feedback is not going to be easy. Wait a minute all stop the mist has now made it unsafe to shoot – time of a coffee break.

After about 10 mins the mist lifts sufficiently for us to have a go. Relay 1 – well we’re all under 20” that’s a miracle and no penalties, I take an early lead with 7.4”, others between 11 and 20”. Relay 2 – 7” for me, Dave Rankin and James Arneil have 12 and 16” respectively but Glen is testing the limits of the ruler which is just long enough (we’ll not say how long the ruler is). Now it looks like the wind is picking up again, I have now 7 MOA of wind on which is quite a lot for a 180gr bullet doing 3000fps, trouble is if the wind drops off then we’ll be off the board! Relay 3 – Dave is pretty consistent with another 11” James not far behind and Glen makes a significant improvement, I try to fire a dummy round and am surprised when it doesn’t go bang – the time delay as I wait for the “miss-fire” that wasn’t extends my group but today I’ll settle for the 10” – what a prat! Final relay – James, makes it 10”, Dave about as before Glen unfortunately has another biggish group and I manage 9”. I have the early lead in Light gun with an agg. of 8.6” but there are some worrisome names still to follow.

Again the mist put the kibosh on things and the new RO calls a halt as it again becomes unsafe to shoot. Let’s have a butt’s crew change whilst we are waiting for the weather.

OK the mist has cleared (for how long?) off we go again. Detail 3 – 2 Heavy Guns and 2 Light Guns. Welcome to Les Prior and his big new shiny heavy gun and its first outing at Gelston – we have great expectations of Les and his shiny thing. For those who’ve not been keeping abreast of Les and the development of his heavy gun, it’s a 6BR with and 8” fore-end a 3” rear end and it weights 52lbs –this is a purpose made Heavy Gun. But is the BR the cartridge for today’s weather???

Relay 1 – Les has 10” from Campbell Muir at 14” and the Light Guns, Darrell McIlreavy and Ross McLean are also 10 and 14” respectively, so a pretty tight relay. Relay 2 – it’s Campbell that stuns us all with 6.3” – well done, in any condition that’s pretty good. Unfortunately Les is nearly double at 12”, in the Light guns, Darrell starts to compete with 7.4” and Ross records a measurement of 5”, but alas has one penalty to add to the 5. It should be said that we can’t understand what’s happened to Ross’ group it was located in the centre of the board at 5” with one shot off the board, that shot must have got hit by a very big lull/gust – or maybe a rain drop as it is rather inclement out there now! Now things are getting interesting and yours truly is watching the Light Gun results with trepidation. Relay 3 – Les back in single figures with 7.3”, Darrell again in single figures at 8.7”,Campbell gets bitten and returns over 20” and Ross has 9” but with the dreaded one penalty again. Pause for the weather…..again. Relay 4 – Darrell still in the 8’s at 8.8”Campbell at 12”, Ross is now testing the length of the ruler but it’s hats off to Les and his big new shiny thing as he post 95mm (3.74” in English). This is a new Gelston Heavy Gun record beating the previous best by just 2mm, shot last year by Les’ nemesis young Emily Lenton – Les how can you do such a thing to a 10 year old? That aside, a stunning group by Les – well done.

Now we have another break, no not for rain, not for wind but for the farmer who wishes to fertilise his field – 15 mins that’s all and we’re safe to go again.

Final detail - only 3 this time; 2 Light Guns and a Factory Sporter. Relay 1 – David Leslie with his trusty worn out .308 makes it 8.8”, not bad considering the conditions (he’s running with about 13MOA of wind!), Lewis McIlreavy 14” and John Gelpin (another 6BR on a day like today?) 13”. Relay 2 – David is going the wrong way – 13”, mind you John’s group also grows, but Lewis manages 10” with the BooBoo. It should also be noted that another McIlreavy has just “stolen” the nearest the bull at the last minute – with a cracking 8mm away from the centre – just like Dad last time! Relay 3 – as we watch the butts crew mark the target David Leslie is heard to utter mild obscenities, he’s out to just under 19”, Lewis back at 14” and John oops that’s a bit big. Relay 4 – Lewis has to accept a penalty, but what’s this David Leslie has 2 penalties and John also has another big one but at least they are all on the board. So today’s second record; David Leslie misses out on Factory Sporter first place for the first time in at least 12 shoots (can’t find the records for 2015 – shame on you David!

All done!

Another “interesting” day at Gelston, I for one used to think Diggle was tough but this is hard work here and so unpredictable. The wind switches (be they direction or strength) seem to provide disproportionate effects on the size of the groups, get caught mid string and you are going to be severely punished.

Thanks to all those who endured the butt’s (and the rain), to the RO’s and spotter Cartright another great day and the usual fantastic crack.

Final results:

Factory Sporter:

1st David Sharp – 11.594”

2nd Bob Dobie – 13.907”

3rd David Leslie – 18.513”

Small Group – David Sharp – 6.771”

Heavy Gun:

1st Les Prior – 8.375”

2nd Campbell Muir – 13.297”

Small Group – Les Prior – 3.74” ……. New Heavy Gun Record for Gelston

Light Gun:

1st Tony Lenton – 8.632”

2nd Darrell McIlreavy – 8.927”

3rd Dave Rankin – 12.539”

Small Group – Tony Lenton – 7.047”

Nearest the Bull

Lewis McIlreavy – 0.314”

2017 League (after 2 shoots)

Light Gun

Tony Lenton 20pts, Darrell McIlreavy 18pts, Dave Rankin 16pts

Heavy Gun

Les Prior 10pts, Campbell Muir 9pts

Factory Sporter

David Sharp 19pts, David Leslie 18pts, Ed Walker 15pts

Next Shoots:

Peter Jackson’s – 30th April

Gelston – 14th May

GSAC AGM – Sunday 23rd April at the Galloway Arms, Crocketford – 2pm.

Safe shooting

Tony Lenton

Full Results

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7v6neucwrsh9nyb/Gelston%201000yds%2016th%20April%202017.pdf?dl=0

Many thanks to Tony for the write up and yes there is no mercy or quarter given to my Nemesis Emily even at 10 years old. Just makes the revenge even sweeter, mwah ha ha ha ha (evil laughter).

Just a few photos of the day added.

post-11148-0-45440900-1492724375_thumb.jpg

post-11148-0-27939600-1492724396_thumb.jpg

post-11148-0-86022000-1492724421_thumb.jpg

Hello.

I've just got a quick question for you re. the pictures. Please bear in mind I know nowt about BR, but whats the story with the large plastic containers / drums with the bottom & side cut out of it thats placed around the muzzle?

Always interested to learn something new!

Cheers.

Hello.

I've just got a quick question for you re. the pictures. Please bear in mind I know nowt about BR, but whats the story with the large plastic containers / drums with the bottom & side cut out of it thats placed around the muzzle?

Always interested to learn something new!

Cheers.

They are for sound suppression as there is a farm nearby(ish).

Hello.I've just got a quick question for you re. the pictures. Please bear in mind I know nowt about BR, but whats the story with the large plastic containers / drums with the bottom & side cut out of it thats placed around the muzzle?Always interested to learn something new!Cheers.

Hi. IIRC, they were initially sevrving a 2-fold duty. They serve as a safety device by limiting the swing of the rifle barrel and initially were complete drums that were foam lined to reduce noise to the surrounding area. The foam didn't last long once the "big boomers" appeared, and was also helped on it's way by muzzle brakes on some rifles. The cut-outs only happened at the start of this year when after a discussion with those who attended the range prep day that the mirage induced by the air contained in the drums being heated up by hot rifle barrels may be mitigated by cutting holes in them. Again, in discussion it was felt that due to the "staggered" seating positions the drums could still be used to shield the shooter on the left from some of the noise. Hope this answers your query.

Atb

Panda

Archived