Heavy Bullets in the .22-250

Guest northernchris

Guest northernchris

Just been playing with heavy bullets through the Steyr over the weekend,the twist rate is 1-12 so it should,nt really work with anything much larger than 60 grn.Anyway i had some 69 grn BTHP Sierra Matchkings to try,so i ran a few loads to see what they would do :blink:

Best load came out at 0.45" @ 100 yards, the load was 41.2 grains N160,CCI BR primer,Norma case,Sierra 69 grn BTHP set 12 thou off the lands. these where doing 3370 fps

Has anyone else done well with heavy bullets and slower than recomended twist rates?????????????????

Guest varmartin

Hi Chris...Done a similar thing but the other way round...

I shot some very `light for twist` bullets at high velocity.

58 grain Vmax in a 1~8 twist 6MM BR. The bullets should have vapourised when they left the barrel, but the only things that vapourised were the varmints they hit. :D :D

Just proves..."If you don't go...you wont know ??

Martin

I took my manlicher 22.250 for a once over today. Found as I thought that it has a very long throat, 15 thou longer than standard so was also thinking along the lines of maybe 63 grains Sierra SPs. He thought they would stabalise ok. Anybody any thoughts?.

The riflesmith concearned (London trained) showed me his fox rifle, a HUGE thing, 20lbs loaded, barrel 1" parrellell OD, hurt my elbows trying to lift if for a look through the scope, a target scope (Urtal? cant quite remember) this itself was about 2 foot long. caliber is a wildcat that he developed some years ago called 22.4000. A 7mm Rem case necked down to .22, fires a 55gr bullet at just over 4000fps. barrel life 700 rounds. He uses it against varmints out to over 600 yardsand showed me a pic crow shot at 720 yards. Trigger is to die for and I use a Jewel most of the time. Made my 22.250 look like a pop gun.

He prefers shorter bullets without plastic tips as he finds that at these sort of distances the wind drift is about half that of say an NBT. He uses Sierra 55 grain SPs by the look of them.

A

I shot a lot of Deer in Eire with my TIKKA Continental .22/250 using the Sierra 63gr. Semi Pointed Softpoint and the Hornady 60gr. Spire Point No.2270 when only the small rifles were permitted.

If memory serves me correctly I was using 34gr. of Norma N202 powder and a CCI 200 standard primer in NORMA brass for about 3500 FPS over the chrono.

That rifle had a 1 in 12 twist but did not like the 70gr. Speer bullets.

It is the twist rate that matters not throat length as most .22/250 rifles are 1 in 14 twist which is better suited to 55gr. bullet weights.

Guest northernchris
I took my manlicher 22.250 for a once over today. Found as I thought that it has a very long throat, 15 thou longer than standard so was also thinking along the lines of maybe 63 grains Sierra SPs. He thought they would stabalise ok. Anybody any thoughts?.

The riflesmith concearned (London trained) showed me his fox rifle, a HUGE thing, 20lbs loaded, barrel 1" parrellell OD, hurt my elbows trying to lift if for a look through the scope, a target scope (Urtal? cant quite remember) this itself was about 2 foot long. caliber is a wildcat that he developed some years ago called 22.4000. A 7mm Rem case necked down to .22, fires a 55gr bullet at just over 4000fps. barrel life 700 rounds. He uses it against varmints out to over 600 yardsand showed me a pic crow shot at 720 yards. Trigger is to die for and I use a Jewel most of the time. Made my 22.250 look like a pop gun.

He prefers shorter bullets without plastic tips as he finds that at these sort of distances the wind drift is about half that of say an NBT. He uses Sierra 55 grain SPs by the look of them.

A

What model Steyr are you running?

Guest varmartin
How did they perform Martin?

Not fired that many yet Chris but the ones I did fire hit every mark and there was very little left of the varmint to inspect !!

I will try them on paper when I get a chance, ( thought they would come apart when they left the barrel )

Martin

A

That sounds like a mighty interesting gun Alycidon. The scope he has is a Unertl. A very odd target/varmint scope, but very good quality.American made, and the scope has no adjusters, its adjusted via the mounts, and it has a huge spring on its main body, so it can slide, under recoil, and the spring returns it to battery.Usually 8 or 10 power, with a very fine plain crosshair, and a very nice bit of kit, but difficult to get, unless one wishes to ship from the states, and a decent one will cost $1000 plus mounts. Unertl made a lot of scopes that were used by the US marine in vietnam, alongside weaver.Here,s one fitted to a ruger number one.....mmmmm

3893.jpg

Now THATS what i call a varminter :o

What model Steyr are you running?

A 22.250 varmint, very few made, mine was one of the first batch of 20. walnut stock with ventilated forend. Dont use it much as I prefer a moddied rifle instead.

Baldys pic of the scope is spot on, never seen one before but nice clear optics.

A

Archived