The 7mm conundrum

madyarra

Having trouble deciding on the next calibre to partner my 6.5 swede, 7mm but which? Would have to be in a rifle light enough to stalk with and a barrel not much more than 22-24" as I'm on a short bugger! I home load already so no problem there! Maybe the 7x64 could be an option, I see there is a couple of threads with some info already, maybe someone could chime in with some personal e Petrie car?

That's what I'm thinking and 7x64 materials could be easier to get hold of as hads been mentioned in other threads. I see that sako and tikka chamber in 7x64 but not in any of the nice stainless rifles so would probably be a special order!

Just got a 275 Rigby aka 7x57, just finished the load development with 160gr Sierra TMK and its shooting .766" 3 shot group at 223yds. Ill get a chance at some fallow this Saturday with any luck, but think its safe to say it'll be a deer stopper

What's the use of the rifle?

6.5x55 can certainly comply with any and all legalities to comply with the deer act.

I may sound a tad dreary but why a 7mm?

Well, anything that will feed 30-06 will feed 7x64 so start with a Sako or Tikka action, stainless barrel. Be a great chance to build a beanfield rifle. Shooting 7mm long range accubonds could be wicked medicine on hinds and open field fallow

Beanfield rifle, can you expand?

Beanfield = big long open paddock (often with a crop on it).

A US term.

If you've already got a Swede, I'd be looking at moving to at least a 7 Rem Mag/WSM/SAUM/..

7x64 would be a good compliment to a 6.5 Swede for a stalker. Heavier bullets poss, with good trajectory and excellent wind riding. One of the gunsmiths up here was telling me that ammo is easy to source. FWIW.

6.5 running about the woods. 7mm up the hill - even more efficient than the 270. Carries energy and mass a long way out.

I am a believer in a shootable system being more important than maximum oomph. Plenty energy in both of them without going to magnums and getting into potential shootability issues.

I am surprised more people don't own one. Shows the power of fashion.

Each one their own...

+1 Chanonry.

I dont shoot deer, but listen to a lot of experienced visitors/customers.

Once they have been down the factory road, and gained experience, its invariably one of these 7mm,s they come in for. I've built quite a few .280,s 7x57 and 7 x 64,s.

They all rave about the accuracy, stopping power, and relatively mild recoil of them.

Plus the metric calibres have no shortage of factory ammo I believe, due to them being european.

its invariably one of these 7mm,s they come in for. I've built quite a few .280,s 7x57 and 7 x 64,s.

They all rave about the accuracy, stopping power, and relatively mild recoil of them.

Plus the metric calibres have no shortage of factory ammo I believe, due to them being european.

I do like the 7x64 and 280 rem which are the ballistic twin.

With factory ammo for the 7x64 from Sako, Norma, RWS, Geco, Prvi, Sellier and Belliot, Winchester to name a few, quite easy to feed.

7mm bullets are widely available for the reloader. Only thing I wish there was a bit more load data for the 7x64 for target loads.

Thanks for the input folks! Chanonry has pretty much summed up my thoughts and Baldie, sorry I haven't got back to you after e-mailing you but as you can see, I'm maybe not ready to talk components when I can't decide on caliber! It seems like a 280 or 284 may be troublesome for brass, either acquiring or necking up where as 7x64 would be available and ready to go. Thanks folks! Keep any thoughts coming though!

Have recently added 7x64, to existing 223, 6ppc and 260 rem, couldn't be happier. First impressions it loves 162gr amax and 168gr Bergers over 140gr partitions and their initial groups were more than acceptable. About to try 120gr vmax. Local gun shop owner apparently uses calibre and recommends 123gr RWS.

Briar

I have to confess to being a 7X64 owner.

But the new hornady eld-x .30's have me very interested, anything long range needs a long barrel. 26" at least.

Have you ever shot a deer with a light .30?

My woods rifle is an 18" Blaser R93 .308

This is the reason you need two rifles.

Even with all the 7x64 votes I think I'm leaning towards the .284, I've weighed up the pros and cons and there's not many cons with either, brass costing roughly the same, maybe slightly lighter powder loads with the 284. Thanks to everyone for the advice, especially Dave at Valkyrie, very helpful!

Even with all the 7x64 votes I think I'm leaning towards the .284, I've weighed up the pros and cons and there's not many cons with either, brass costing roughly the same, maybe slightly lighter powder loads with the 284. Thanks to everyone for the advice, especially Dave at Valkyrie, very helpful!

Go for it and enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Its no problem for the .284. Simply neck up 6.5 x 284 in one simple die pass. Its readily available, and I always keep it in stock.

Archived