New switch barrel rifle or Complete new rifle ?

Nick 53

Hi all,

I currently own 7mm rifle which is a Remington action, new barrel,trigger, and is used for my main comps F class open.

Option 1 do I purchase a barrel in 6mm br and use my Remington action as it was originally a 308 bolt face.and purchase barrel vice? And swap barrels as I please ? Or

Option 2 currently have a SPS tactical in 223 1-9 Remington rifle and change everything.

What do you guys think?

As Vince says, switch barrel and un pinned lug make hard work of changing barrels - if you havent a recoil lug setting tool...

However the bigger issue is that you have a Rem 700 action which is not the stiffest base for a F Class rifle.

Personally, Id look to buy a single shot action specifically intended for such use and build the rifle from there.

Im not a fan of switch barrel guns as they do not always go back together and deliver the same results when you swap barrels over / back to original - thats regardless of barrel torque setting and who made it.

Some systems work - the DTA and AI MC work well.

A Rem 700 isnt the best base for a switch barrel gun.

There are plenty good switch-barrel rifles on the market ... ... ...

• Sauer 200/202/404
  • Sauer STR/SSG3000
  • Blaser
  • Merkel Helix
  • Strasser
  • Schultz & Larsen
  • DTR
  • AI MC
  • and others
I've used one of the above successfully for almost thirty years, but I certainly wouldn't want the faff of having to use a barrel vice etc., or one based on a Remington 700 action. I can change my barrel in a couple of minutes on the range with no more than an allen wrench.

• Sauer 200/202/404
  • Sauer STR/SSG3000
  • Blaser
  • Merkel Helix
  • Strasser
  • Schultz & Larsen
  • DTR
  • AI MC
  • and others
I've used one of the above successfully for almost thirty years, but I certainly wouldn't want the faff of having to use a barrel vice etc., or one based on a Remington 700 action. I can change my barrel in a couple of minutes on the range with no more than an allen wrench.

All useful systems in their field, but I wouldnt use any as a base for a F Class build (Open or FTR)

Would the Savage 'f/open class' offer anything - 6BR was mentioned....though it isn't really a switch barrel,so much as an easier barrel replace rifle?

Of course,if you wanted to end up with a Savage,you would not start with a Remington!

gbal

• Sauer 200/202/404
  • Sauer STR/SSG3000
  • Blaser
  • Merkel Helix
  • Strasser
  • Schultz & Larsen
  • DTR
  • AI MC
  • and others

I'd totally agree with that. I have a switch barrel rifle built on a Barnard SM action. Whilst the recoil lug is pinned and it alway returns to zero faultlessly, I have to admit that because of the faffing around changing barrel and the tools required ( barrel vice, 4orque wrench for action, another to torque the stock bolts etc) I hardly ever bother and my 308 barrel hasn't been used for too too long! It might onky take 10minutes but its the lugging around of the gear. If I were to do it all again I mignt get another barrelled action and just swap over the stock, saving 700 - 800 £GB.

Archived