It probably dates back to the "only hitmen use them" attitude.

Way back in the 90's I applied for one and was given a flat no.

Then the above quote.

I appealed and then they changed to "You cannot silence a supersonic round so there is no point in having one". I retorted that if it failed to work then it was not really a moderator so I could buy one without a slot !

Herts then had a special meeting with the home office and as a result, I got mine. Without being a hitman :-)

to try.... and stop the drive by killing ,ie moderated rifle out of the window to kill game at night .most law abiding people dont shoot game illeagally but a lot of people do.so if moderators are not on ticket any one can buy one,we know in the real world these people get them any way but thats why the law came to pass.

to try.... and stop the drive by killing ,ie moderated rifle out of the window to kill game at night .most law abiding people dont shoot game illeagally but a lot of people do.so if moderators are not on ticket any one can buy one,we know in the real world these people get them any way but thats why the law came to pass.

They may make things a bit quieter at the shooter but that is all. Downrange no discernible effect. There is a forestry enterprise study kicking about on t'internet somewhere which demonstrated this.

They may make things a bit quieter at the shooter but that is all. Downrange no discernible effect. There is a forestry enterprise study kicking about on t'internet somewhere which demonstrated this.

Indeed, anyone who's done a detail in the butts will know a bullet going overhead is much louder than the muzzle blast, moderated or not.....

This is why I'm not fussed if my mod is the absolute most 100% super duper quietest possible in the world. It matter's not a monkeys once you let that round go, if it's supersonic.

Indeed, anyone who's done a detail in the butts will know a bullet going overhead is much louder than the muzzle blast, moderated or not.....

This is why I'm not fussed if my mod is the absolute most 100% super duper quietest possible in the world. It matter's not a monkeys once you let that round go, if it's supersonic.

Absolutely and the hearing experts say you still need protection with a mod , ear plugs is what I use in the field....if I remember or have time :) , a low weight mod is top of my list...

Weight, being robust, and aesthetics(yes, sad I know.....)...

The ludicrous part is that only a detachable moderator has to be on ticket. If a rifle is permanently 'moderated' such as a DeLisle, then it is just a .45 cal Rifle on an FAC with no mention of being moderated

Likewise the old Ruger .22 pistols came with a fully 'silenced' version, which again was just a .22 pistol on an FAC

Which further makes the requirement superfluous

• 5 weeks later...

I blame the OSS and their Welrod.

The law society did recommend that the law was changed to make moderators an accessory but it hasn't happened yet.

Wasn't it the OSS and OUR Welrod - rather like our magnetron, our jet engine, our CRT for computers and so on...oh and our Merlin which 'made' the Mustang what is was.

An interesting lesson to learn for the post-Brexit world. We are going to have to be much more protectionist about our intellectual property if we are to thrive. That includes not teaching foreign students how our biotech works for example, or selling ARM to the Japanese.

Archived