UKBRA 600 Yards - 4th December 2016

mole-e30

600 yard Benchrest Competition Sunday 4 December 2016

Round 3 of this year’s 600yard series.

At 9 o’clock not a ripple on the water, however by “kick-off” time its windy, not quite a gale but the 6BR’s are needing 5 mins of wind at 600yards! Do not think there will be records broken today, but one never knows.

We have a very full house, 34 shooters; 11 Heavy Guns and 21 Light Guns, but only 2 Factory Sporters, where have you all gone? Welcome back to Sheila McGowan after her “issue” on B range good to see you and Ronnie again.

Morning detail is 5 relays of Light Guns. First groups are as expected no overlapping markers and in most cases a fair amount of white paper between the marker discs – as said not a day for very small groups. Second groups are looking a little better as we start to settle down, Bruce Lenton and Willy Dixon (6BR versus .308) manage to get into the two’s. However, the damned sun is now getting in peoples eyes – a day for the left handers. The next details follow a similar pattern with early groups in the 5-7” range. As we move back to the first four they are grateful for the “gratuitous sighter” which indicates a wind shift and all notice the wind is increasing in strength. At this point a number get the odd shots blown off the paper and take one or more penalties. Willy Dixon records a small group, but unfortunately it’s off the target. Vince Bottomley and Jack Gibb both manage to join the 2’s and Phil Sammons has either a small group or has lost a marker disc with his final group– which is it? Subsequent measuring shows it to be a small group 1.732”- a great group in today’s conditions. And still the wind picks-up. In the last relay Gary Stewart suffers a “mechanical issue” with his trigger after popping a primer so he’s out of the race which is unfortunate as he’s started off well with a 2.7” first group, and his track record in the last two competitions is good.

There are still 3 Light Guns to shoot in the afternoon, as ever who will have the best of the wind – more comments later.

Lunch – now the Heavy Guns, Factory Sporters and the 3 remaining Light Guns.

Only 2 Factory Sporters so it’s a battle between Paul Parkinson and Toni Young - Savage 6BR versus Remington .308. Paul starts off with two cracking 3” groups which unfortunately seals it for Toni who has 3 in the 7-8”’s and her fourth group incurs some penalties so its honours to Paul again with an agg. of 5.930”. Paul also manages the small group too at 3.212”.

Now how have the Heavy Guns done, pretty good! Steve Roberts has two in the two’s, and one in the ones, Laurie Holland has 2 two’s and a three, Dale Almond has 3 three’s and 1 in the ones, Mary Marsden has 1 two and 1 three, Darrell Evans has 2 threes, Jim Marsden has a three and Les Prior a two. Most Heavy Guns are managing sub 5” groups. In the end Heavy Gun honours and the best agg. of the day goes to Steve Roberts with an agg. of 2.662” (just 80thou of the UKBRA record) and small group of 1.641”, closely followed by Laurie Holland then Dale Almond.

So how have the three Light Guns in the afternoon done? Not bad is the response, Dave Jackson keeps it consistent with 1 three, 1 four and two small fives for an agg. of 4.485” and he sits amongst the Heavy Guns. Sheila has 1 three and is mid field, as does Adrian Evans. So who wins Light Gun - Bruce Lenton takes the honours with and agg. of 3.993” followed by Dave Jackson and then Vince Bottomley.

Heavy guns, well either these guys are good (better than the light guns) or the wind had eased off in the afternoon. Never afraid to court controversy I plump for the wind was more favourable to the afternoon shooters! Reports from the afternoon butt’s crew also suggest more favourable conditions. Of the day’s 34 shooters there are 8 heavy guns in the top 12! I’m sure all with have their own thoughts!

As ever thanks to the Butt’s crews, not a great day for hanging about in the butt’s – a tad cold, and thanks to our “master of ceremonies” – Vince.

Let me takes this opportunity to wish all my avid readers a very Merry Christmas and A Happy New Year, may 2017 bring you small groups!

Results for Light Gun:

Ist Bruce Lenton – 3.933”

2nd Dave Jackson – 4.485”

3rd Vince Bottomley – 4.692”

Small Group – Phil Sammons – 1.732”

Results for Factory Sporter:

Ist Paul Parkinson – 5.930”

2nd Toni Young – 11.000”

Small Group – Paul Parkinson – 3.212”

Results for Heavy Gun:

Ist Steve Roberts – 2.662”

2nd Laurie Holland – 3.047”

3rd Dale Almond – 3.596”

Small Group – Steve Roberts – 1.641”

Nearest the Bull

Sheila McGowan – 0.118”

2016/17 League Results (three results and no discards)

Light Gun:

Ist Dave Jackson – 20pts

2nd Mal Roberts, Gary Stewart, Vince Bottomley – 19pts

Heavy Gun:

Ist Mary Marsden, Steve Roberts – 23pts

3rd Darrell Evans – 19pts

Factory Sporter:

Ist Paul Parkinson – 29pts

2nd Tony Young – 25pts

3rd Dan Valmont – 10pts

PSSA/UKBRA prize giving and Xmas shoot - Sunday 18th December

Next 600yard shoot is Sunday 5th February 2017

Safe shooting

Tony Lenton

Full Details here –

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q6joru1xhupzhe9/UKBRA%20600BR%204th%20December%202016.pdf?dl=0

Bruce, Bruce, Bruce! As a shooter on the afternoon detail I can confirm that the wind was far stronger than in the morning session. :) .

The fact that HG shooters had 8 shooters in the top 12 just confirms that they were better shooters than anyone in LG.

Not being biased of course!!!!!!

Honest!

I was on the point for both details and to be honest, I thought it was about the same wind strength in the afternoon but the direction had changed a little so it was more 'head-on'.

The results speak for themselves - unless 'that bald-headed Geordie' is right of course.

Statistical data-but no stats.Use the QM1OS (IF ) * test:

Placed in the top 14 : HG 5 LG 6

Placed in the next 14: HG 2 LG 12

Better group in Match 1 12

Better group in match 4 18

Better in Group1/Group4 for HG 5/4 for LG 8/10

Totals are not always the same-penalties excluded (Willie is way better than the data!)and there are about twice as many LG than HG.

Alas,conclusions are limited since possible variables not included-eg shooting style,fast or not,a likely interactive variable (effect not always the same) with wind/cartridge/LG or HG.

And while on wind ,possible differences in effective cortical insulation between Vince and Les are not known,and 'head on' direction just exacerbates this,so inconlusive-tho' Daryl did give one measured datum,but only for one halfday. :-)

gbal

* Quick Mark 1 Optical Scan (with Intelligent Filter)

I was on the point for both details and to be honest, I thought it was about the same wind strength in the afternoon but the direction had changed a little so it was more 'head-on'.

The results speak for themselves - unless 'that bald-headed Geordie' is right of course.

Me, be right! Nah!!

When is the next one Vince, Bruce? The absence of the 2017 Diggle comp calendar is getting a little frustrating now making post Christmas planning impossible.

When is the next one Vince, Bruce? The absence of the 2017 Diggle comp calendar is getting a little frustrating now making post Christmas planning impossible.

Hi Laurie, I heard that the next 600yd precision is on Sunday the 5th of Feb, but not sure of any others up to now and like you am awaiting for the Diggle calendar to appear.

Hi Laurie, I heard that the next 600yd precision is on Sunday the 5th of Feb, but not sure of any others up to now and like you am awaiting for the Diggle calendar to appear.

Ah ... just noticed Bruce put it on his original post. :blush:

Yes, it's Sunday 5th February. (Heck ... that's a long time away!)

Weather permitting are first 1000yds shoot is the 15th of Jan.when I joined the fcsa I found alot of the dates clashed with my other club which was a real nuisance.i should of checked out the range dates first before joining.i wasted my money and didn't get to attend many range days.lesson learnt.

Well, we actually ended up with one on December 31st - then I realised it was New Years Eve! It wouldn't bother me......but.......

I'll e-mail you a 2017 Diggle calendar Laurie.

Can I have it as well Vince if no bother. Cheers

Well, we actually ended up with one on December 31st - then I realised it was New Years Eve! It wouldn't bother me......but.......

I'll e-mail you a 2017 Diggle calendar Laurie.

Can I have it as well Vince if no bother. Cheers

Ah ... just noticed Bruce put it on his original post. :blush:

Yes, it's Sunday 5th February. (Heck ... that's a long time away!)

Withdrawal symptoms Laurie?

Archived