New Powder Trickler Works Well

John MH

The trickler is a very very well made piece of kit, hope it works as well as it looks.

Not sure why but it managed to sneek through customs without getting noticed which always makes me feel better :)

Received mine last week Andy, you won't be disappointed, bad news about the scales. Not sure which scales you've purchased, but if it's the FZ's you may have to remove a stuck on electrical ribbon cable, it panicked me to start with but was all ok. Pm me if you need.

Had the same touch on the import tax

Superb results John, thanks for the whole post.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Received mine last week Andy, you won't be disappointed, bad news about the scales. Not sure which scales you've purchased, but if it's the FZ's you may have to remove a stuck on electrical ribbon cable, it panicked me to start with but was all ok. Pm me if you need.

Had the same touch on the import tax

Superb results John, thanks for the whole post.

Cheers Steve,

I've gone for the FX-120i the non auto calibration model.

Do we pay import tax etc on goods purchased from Canada?

I've got a Foxpro I bought direct and thats been sat in customs at Heathrow for days, just waitng for their letter to land on the door step!!

I've been tempted to add the auto trickler to my 120 but have resisted til now.

I'd say I average about 5-6 secs per weigh (throw - end of trickle) so not too bad. If I was doing more bulk ammo, I'd def go there.

Thanks for sharing John.

I've been tempted to add the auto trickler to my 120 but have resisted til now.

I'd say I average about 5-6 secs per weigh (throw - end of trickle) so not too bad. If I was doing more bulk ammo, I'd def go there.

Thanks for sharing John.

A realistic time to charge 50 .308 cases with the automated trickler is 18 minutes, that's using a lee powder scoop. To get it that quick you have to be seriously concentrating on what you're doing,

Cross reference current post on Targetmaster Powder Trickler.

Ther must be some slick ergonomics around-or someone isn't using a Tag Heuer *chronograph.

Alan (targetmaster) demonstrates loading 42.5 g Varget into cases. Powder thrower set for around 40g,and balance trickled in with his trickler. From Throw of the 40,to 41.5 into the case,it's about 40 seconds. Maybe it could be a tad faster,but there is a fair bit of movement of powder pan,and funnel,and pouring....but that is essential,and needs care.

I make that over half an hour for 50 cases to go from empty to charged with 41.5 g each,on the reloading bench (In tag heuer units,it's actually 33m 20 seconds,excluding 2.148 seconds to push tag's button).

Clearly using the trickler only for full load would be much longer...much...as John's video shows.

The actual trickle time is considerably less-that is but one time component though....to suggest something of the order of 5 secs is like saying barrel life is 3 seconds (the total time bullet in in there-true,but real world non sense).

No big deal,and I for one have enough 1/2 hours for it not to matter;and you are indeed getting consistent powder measures to .002 grain....err...very probably (no actual repeat measures of same pan of powder are included,but accept anyhow).

The Sartorious ( I checked another video) I found a bit disconcerting-not just the half hour for it to settle-until you move-but the constantly changing 3rd and 4th decimal place....you just have to block that (think about it as if it undecided about the weight of the hole in the last kernel).

Genuinely,all very impressive.

I note there are no consistent kernel claims made for the Lee plastic spoon.But I could barely get sugar spooned into my coffee at the suggested rates.It may be that my Nigela designed sugar bowl is not optimal,and I used a silver (christening) spoon,which may invalidate it all :-)

Come on guys,John and Alan are into precision measures;let's keep the human ergonomics real.

gbal

* actually an Accurist,so could be out 2/3 seconds total ,if loading 8,400 per week (powder hopper changing etc,excluded)

If you get the flow of movement right, there's very little time wasted. With a basic powder measure throwing around a grain light and a slow trickle there's always a charge waiting by the time you have picked up a bullet and seated it. I run at about 2.5 - 3 completed rounds a minute.

I originally designed the Targetmaster in the 1980's to weigh very light charges (1.5 grains) for .32 competition pistol shooting.

Ther must be some slick ergonomics around-or someone isn't using a Tag Heuer *chronograph.

Alan (targetmaster) demonstrates loading 42.5 g Varget into cases. Powder thrower set for around 40g,and balance trickled in with his trickler. From Throw of the 40,to 41.5 into the case,it's about 40 seconds. Maybe it could be a tad faster,but there is a fair bit of movement of powder pan,and funnel,and pouring....but that is essential,and needs care.

I make that over half an hour for 50 cases to go from empty to charged with 41.5 g each,on the reloading bench (In tag heuer units,it's actually 33m 20 seconds,excluding 2.148 seconds to push tag's button).

Clearly using the trickler only for full load would be much longer...much...as John's video shows.

The actual trickle time is considerably less-that is but one time component though....to suggest something of the order of 5 secs is like saying barrel life is 3 seconds (the total time bullet in in there-true,but real world non sense).

No big deal,and I for one have enough 1/2 hours for it not to matter;and you are indeed getting consistent powder measures to .002 grain....err...very probably (no actual repeat measures of same pan of powder are included,but accept anyhow).

The Sartorious ( I checked another video) I found a bit disconcerting-not just the half hour for it to settle-until you move-but the constantly changing 3rd and 4th decimal place....you just have to block that (think about it as if it undecided about the weight of the hole in the last kernel).

I note there are no consistent kernel claims made for the Lee plastic spoon.But I could barely get sugar spooned into my coffee at the suggested rates.It may be that my Nigela designed sugar bowl is not optimal,and I used a silver (christening) spoon,which may invalidate it all :-)

Come on guys,John and Alan are into precision measures;let's keep the human ergonomics real.

gbal

* actually an Accurist,so could be out 2/3 seconds total ,if loading 8,400 per week (powder hopper changing etc,excluded)

If you pre-throw and top up from 1.500 to 1.530 g it takes about 5 to 7 seconds dependant on the ramp down setting you program into the scale. So let's say taking the time to throw the powder into the pan and place it on the scales is 5 secs, plus the trickling time of 5 to 7 seconds and then let's say it takes 5 seconds to pour it down a funnel on a case in a tray, that comes to about 15-17 seconds per case, round that up to 20 secs, so 3 cases per minute. 50 divided by 3 is close enough to 17 minutes so 50 cases in 18 mins is more than reasonable. If you trickle up from a lower weight that will take a little longer and if you are really fussy, like me and only accept spot on target weights, then it takes a little longer still.

The scales used with the Autotrickler are not the erratic and prone to drift strain gauge scales, they are much more stable magnetic force restoration scales that don't drift as much, if at all. The FZ models have internal calibration that takes less than a minute to check everything is correct. Scale resolution and refresh rate for 0.001 g measurement is as much as is needed for reloading to a single kernel of powder (a misleading parameter as no two kernels are going to be exactly the same weight so there may be more or less kernels in two charges of the same mass, but who cares as long as they are within +/- 0.001 g). Stabilisation time is 1 second when set to 'fast' so it determines the weight in the pan well within 'drop, place, trickle, stop' cycle time of 5 to 7 seconds. Higher refresh rates and finer resolution are not needed so don't bother getting a 0.0001 scale as it's not going to offer any advantage over what the reloader may want given the average powder kernel weight.

gbal

Ok you got me, I made it all up!

I did a test for Adam who's the brains behind the auto trickler. I did 50 cases using my RCBS Chargemaster throwing 46.9 grains and then placing the charge on my A&D FX 120i and trickling up to 47 grains using my Dandy trickler, the time was 26 minutes.

I then did the same load using the auto trickler. I used the Lee 3.1 cc scoop which would roughly be 45 grains of powder. As soon as the auto trickler started to dispense I poured the powder from the Lee scoop into the pan on A&D FX, the time taken was 18 minutes and afterwards I checked 20 cases for the correct powder charge, all of them were within 1 kernel of powder.

• 2 weeks later...

Jeez I wish I had seen this before buying my Gem-Pro/Omega combo a few weeks back!!

Gem-Pro seems steady if left on all the time and omega just doesn't flow steadily! needs a thump every so often!

Still have doubts about gem pro accuracy. Maybe I should move on to this!

• 1 month later...

*drums fingers*

I've got the autotrickler, and was about to put in an order with Oakley Weigh... Very tempted by the FX *and* the FZ, but that forum is a bit offputting! Manual intervention needed for registrations, and they send you an email asking for "...a brief description of why you would like to join our community, how you found us and what you might wish to contribute." And once I've done that, I still "can't access" the for sale side until I'm 15 posts in (we'll debate how I can read the link above without being registered *at all* later...).

Could you possibly do me a favour and get me the contact details of this "rox" chap, while I'm jumping through the hoops? ;)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick question for everyone who has the trickler/ A&D FX120i scale; do you continue to use the power supply that came with the scale or have you swapped to the power supply that comes with the trickler (using an adapter).

My (version 2) trickler from Adam arrived a few days ago; it came with two different power supply cables and the instructions state that you should use one of these to power up the scales/trickler combo instead of the original power cable that came with your scales?

These power cables are the North American 2 pin version for which I have an adapter. I've used both and they work, but then so does the original cable that came with the scales? I've just contunued to use the three-pin UK power cable that came with the scales but note that the original power supply is a 1amp plug while the american version is 2amps?

Not being particularly savvy with electronics myself, I wondered if there was any reason not to continue to use the original power cable that came with the scales?

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...