spiral fluting a sako bolt

well if the general consensus is that the bolts do not need reproofing then i am happy to go a head and get some done for you lot,

i have a tikka 595 to do and i think she will look very very nice done,one of the early stiller predator to do,(one i got in) just to mention a few.

my rifle is off to be rebarreled and a nice new MC Milan stuck on,so it will not be long till i have her back with me.

i am really looking forward to getting this one done as i have been looking for a sako sm action for some time,this is the 3rd barrel i have brought for the rifle but i have used them for customers who have rang me up with a .270 build,so as all ways the customer comes first.

i will keep you posted as and when the build is done.

ATB

Colin :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi chaps and chapets

now some of you may recognise this little lot :D

i have just had a few bolts back from the machine shop, i sent them yesterday,so turn around is quit quick.

this is a tikka bolt

P1010206.jpg

and a sako bolt

P1010205.jpg

and a sako bolt that has been titanium coated then fluted

P1010204.jpg

P1010203.jpg

and all 3 of them

P1010202.jpg

ATB

hi chaps and chapets

i have just had a few bolts back from the machine shop, i sent them yesterday,so turn around is quit quick.

this is a tikka bolt

P1010206.jpg

and a sako bolt

P1010205.jpg

P1010204.jpg

P1010203.jpg

and all 3 of them

P1010202.jpg

ATB

titanium coated omg i have just shot my load

col is the titanium coating something you can offer if so how much on top of the 60 for the fluting

is it possible to coat a whole action if so how much

thanks mate mark

hi chaps and chapets

this is a tikka bolt

P1010206.jpg

and a sako bolt

P1010205.jpg

P1010204.jpg

P1010203.jpg

and all 3 of them

P1010202.jpg

ATB

OMG my Tikka bolt looks fantastic :D:D:D

I was thinking of something close to the above pictures for my new ST&G bolt. Maybe get it fluted and then paint in the flutes to match the action/barrel and leave the bolt body stainless.

What do you think ??.

Ads

They all look mighty fine to me Col, and no hanging about either.

Good Job !

ATB

P

hi Pete

the bolt will be out for delivery tomorrow, Im sorry i could not get to the post office today,but she will be sent next day by 1

the photos don't do her Justice, she looks better in the flesh.

ATB

titanium coated omg i have just shot my load

col is the titanium coating something you can offer if so how much on top of the 60 for the fluting

is it possible to coat a whole action if so how much

thanks mate mark

hi mark

sorry i don't do the titanium coating,

yes you can coat the hole action and you can do the barrel as well, but i believe the 2 have to be done separate as the 2 have to be done at different temperatures.

Pete lincoln is the only person i know of that is offering this service.

ATB

OMG my Tikka bolt looks fantastic :D:D:D

hi kip

I'm just waiting for your bolt knob to be delivered to the smith (dasherman) and then he fit it and then i will get her back to you.

it should look very very nice when complete.

ATB

hi kip

I'm just waiting for your bolt knob to be delivered to the smith (dasherman) and then he fit it and then i will get her back to you.

it should look very very nice when complete.

ATB

Cheers Col, no rush mate, honest :D:D

I was thinking of something close to the above pictures for my new ST&G bolt. Maybe get it fluted and then paint in the flutes to match the action/barrel and leave the bolt body stainless.

What do you think ??.

Ads

hi ads

I'm afraid you are going have to give me a bit more info on the ST&G Bolt as I'm not familiar with it.

ATB

looks awesome i cant wait untill we have finished harvest so that i can lose my shooter for a day or three

what else can you so to a sako col

looks awesome i cant wait untill we have finished harvest so that i can lose my shooter for a day or three

what else can you do to a sako col

i will put you a photo of my own sako as soon as i get it back from the smiths, I'm having a bolt knob (not badger) fitted and the barrel is being hydro blasted,this process is supposed to be harder wearing than bead blasting,

or you could have it dura coated, fluted barrel, black flutes on your bolt, re stock, and so on.

ATB

Colin

hi Pete

the bolt will be out for delivery tomorrow, Im sorry i could not get to the post office today,but she will be sent next day by 1

the photos don't do her Justice, she looks better in the flesh.

ATB

Thanks Col, this is just the first step in the rehab process, and it looks like a great start.

I could even get to like this rifle eventually !

:D :D :D

ATB

P

i will put you a photo of my own sako as soon as i get it back from the smiths, I'm having a bolt knob (not badger) fitted and the barrel is being hydro blasted,this process is supposed to be harder wearing than bead blasting,

or you could have it dura coated, fluted barrel, black flutes on your bolt, re stock, and so on.

ATB

Colin

i am hoping to have it dura coated in a few weeks with ar15 (i have yet to decide on colours)

cheers mark

For once I plead ignorant but is this spiralling just to please the eye or what???It does look very nice though and again with ignorance can someone enlighten me with regard to the pure custom actions and does the spiralling follow some sort of guidance for the bolt???Sorry guys am lost on this and want to know more.Cheers Onehole.

hi ads

I'm afraid you are going have to give me a bit more info on the ST&G Bolt as I'm not familiar with it.

ATB

STG is the specific tool and gauge replacement bolt for the remmy 700. Just got one to fit to the 243 ack imp. Was only thinking out loud though. ight be an option when i get it back and have a play with it.

Ads

For once I plead ignorant but is this spiralling just to please the eye or what???It does look very nice though and again with ignorance can someone enlighten me with regard to the pure custom actions and does the spiralling follow some sort of guidance for the bolt???Sorry guys am lost on this and want to know more.Cheers Onehole.

hi onehole

it is purely aesthetics on a factory bolt as they are made to bigger tolerances.

on a custom rifle (mostly bench rest ) the tolerances are far far tighter, and the flutes are supposed to catch any that which promotes growth and vigour that is trying to get in to your action and stop it from working, the crap is supposed to go in to the flutes in stead of jamming your bolt to the action.

actions and bolts like a nesika have fluted bolts as they have got a Bordon bump.

ATB

what is the cost for a spiral bolt ??

what do you mean Chris, buy a complete bolt???? and then have it made to fit your action,????????

this would obviously depend on the type of bolt you have got.

are you saying that my prices are expensive??? and it would be cheaper to have a new bolt made??

then please take a look here, they seem reasonable to me,if you are after a new bolt.

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com/product...ngton.htm#bolts

or are you asking how much is it to have one of your bolt spiral fluted??

if so £60 + P&P £5

please explain

ATB

Archived