spiral fluting a sako bolt

hi all

I'm in the process of doing a sako 75 Sm rifle, we are putting a custom barrel on her and a MC stock,but as this rifle is for me i would like it to be a bit better looking than a standard 75 so i set about trying to get the bolt spiral fluted,well i have found just the man for the job and she has turned out nice, as i think you will all agree.

P1010184.jpg

P1010185.jpg

but in my haste to get the bolt done i forgot on the sako there is a sako extractor that runs along the bolt body and then cuts through the bolt lugs and this is what ejects the case.

now i have put a spiral flute on the bolt the extractor drops in to the flute and then stops the bolt from moving.

but if you look at the bolt the flutes are straight sided and they all so end with no ramp, I'm hoping that with a bit more work i will be able to put some ramps on the flutes and take the sides of at an angle to aid the extractors to flow in and out of the flutes.

if it had been any other bolt then this would not have been a problem, well it was mine wasn't it.

i will keep you posted to how we resolve this problem.

ATB

Colin :lol:

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It looks good shame it isn't working good yet! good luck with the project.

PS how much would it cost to get fluting done to the bolt on a rem 700?

Dave

hi

normal bolts with out the sako extraction will be done for £60 + p+p

sako bolts to be arranged, as we don't have a cure yet but i don't see it being a problem,I'm thinking a different type of flutes will solve the issue

ATB

I have one that you could do when you ve solved the extraction issue. It looks good Col.

ATB

hi -

lets see what happens with this one first, i can not see it being a big problem, but you never no until we have it liked.

i will drop you a pm or phone call Pete as and when we have a cure

ATB

Must be real nice to have a 4th Axis mill :lol:

Sure the issue can be resolved, maybe thinner flutes or at an oblique angle to that the ejector isnt fouling?

Just ideas...

Must be real nice to have a 4th Axis mill :lol:

Sure the issue can be resolved, maybe thinner flutes or at an oblique angle to that the ejector isnt fouling?

Just ideas...

hi ronin

the spring in the extractor is not very strong,so chamfered sides should do the job, but it has still got to slid smoothly for me,other wise it will be chrome nickle plated and re turned to the original looks,

and it will be back to the drawing board.

but i don't see it going that far. but i like to look on the worst side then if things go better its a bonus :lol:

ATB

Guest northernchris

Col

Why not just run a clearance cut down the length of the body,if you look on an standard bolt you will sea a witness mark from the ejector/stop,and then a good sized Rad on the top side of the stop??

Yup, "fixed ejector", not extractor

hi sorry wrong terminology

i mean the spring loaded ejector that is located just in front of your trigger.

this is a bar that slides down your bolt and then goes throw a slit in the lugs,and ejects your spent round.

ATB

Here's a German machined one, I can't see any difference myself, but then again I'm not a machinist.

bolt1.jpg

I hope you get it sorted Colin, they look the business when they are sitting in the action.

hi -

your flutes are going the opposite way, but that would not do anything different.

ATB

Guest varmartin

I can see two ways to get around the ejector plunger issue..

1. mill a slot same depth as the flutes for the finger to run in down the length of the bolt.

2. `Time` the flutes and skip line them to leave an un milled section of the bolt for the finger to run on....( next time )

ps...looks awesome, I have a PT & G bolt for you to do in the near future out of my 700

Elwoods has been machined with a ball-nosed slot drill, The ejector falling into the grooves is both possible when pulling back and when lifting the bolt, the spiral direction can have an effect on whetther the ejector drops into one of the slots, you could also modify the shape of the ejector so it rides over the slots insted of dropping in, or so it will ride in and out of them, mine is before the 75 and is done differently so nothing to compare it with.

Redfox

Archived