New rifle in build :-)

Blue Haze

So have recently decided that I am fed up with TR, and having been playing with a home built F-TR rifle at my local clubs I have decided to jump into the F-Open world. I miss competing at a good level, and from everything I can tell the F class circuit if full of fun and friendly people....

So I spent a lot of time scouring this and other sights researching actions, calibres etc. and here is what I settled on:

• Barnard P in RBLP
  • .284" Win with .318 neck (To just 'clean up' the necks in turning)
  • Throat for the 180 Berger
  • Joe West Stock
  • 1:9 5C barrel @ +-31"

And of course Mik took all of my money as a result, but I hope that I will have the rifle as quickly as Joe can supply the stock...

So now I need to ponder the question of what rest and glass? The obvious answer seems to be a Seb Neo and either March or NF scope - what would you choose and why?

Personally I would choose a March over the Night Force, mainly because Night Force took two attempts to get it right, where as March got it right the first time around :)

But seriously I would choose a March with the MTR-2 ret, it just plain works. I haven't looked through the Night force but I'm reliably informed that the glass is every bit as good as the March. You get a lot more configurations with the March as well, 10-60, 5-50, 8-80 etc and a wider choice of reticule to suit.

Everything else in your build looks A1, good luck and see you on the firing point.

Cheers Elwood - I look forward to getting on range, and will try to join you all ASAP after I get the rifle. Need to learn fast as I will be in the 'all the gear and no idea' camp to start with! :P

With regard to scopes, I am starting to hear March recommended again and again which is a good sign I guess... In my understanding the 5-50 and 8-80 both have 34mm tubes, and the 10-60 is a 30mm tube... What is the real life difference on range? Will I ever use the 60+ mag range, or is it just a 'because you can' thing - ie do you loose anything in exchange for the extra mag? They are all within the same 10% cost wise, so what would you choose and why?

I have looked through and used all three of the scopes you mention. The 8-80 is a magnificent scope but very few people ever go over 40x. I use a 8-80 and have never once shot a competition over 40x. The higher you go the more shake you will notice and the darker the picture, your field of view will also get narrower which isn't always a good thing when shooting F class and trying to read other targets. I love my 8-80 and it's the last scope I would sell, but realistically 80 power isn't needed, a bit like a super car that can do 200mph with a 70mph speed limit, nice to have and own.

The 5-50 is always my recommendation unless you just want to have the very best (which is the 8-80) again I have never used it on 50x in a match, but I always like to have that bit extra. The 10-60 is used more widely by the F/TR brigade due to weight restrictions, although quite a few Open shooters do use them.

March 5-50 is the way to go, 1/8th ajustment and FMA Reticule

Good food for thought...

What sort of neck clearances are people using? Is 3 thou too little in f class?

Three to four thou will be fine, mine are all three thou, but you certainly don't want to go any smaller.

Archived