Barrel life 300win mag

DM308

So - been shooting 308 for ever and i'm really impressed by this 'old' calibre - it seems to fit me as an 'old' shooter.

However, a friend of mine gave me a shot of his AI 300 win mag and it just blew me away - the group size at 300 yes was half that of mine and three rounds were clover leafed !

So - yep i now want one - BUT - local gun dealer reckons ammo is scarce as no-one shoots this calibre in this country and have tried to convince me to go the 6.5 route.

I like to shoot and will put lots of rounds through this - mainly target stuff but may take it hunting too if i can be bothered to lug it around.

Is this calibre better on barrel life than the 6.5 stuff and would there be much difference in accuracy over the 6.5 ? (obviously the lump behind the butt helps!!)

I was gonna reload anyway so ammo should be too much of an issue.

Upto 1600 rounds with my 300 winmag HS HTR and no drop off on accuracy so far, however I'm expecting it anytime soon as was told to expect no more than 1200 before groups start to open up

I don't shoot competition just cub shooting and occasional hunting

Cannot comment on ammo availability as I've always home loaded and plenty of options available

Best I achieved was 1/8 MOA group at 400 yds BUT that combination had to go as was rather hot and was blowing the primer pockets in one firing, never quite got back to that but to be fair didn't try too hard due to expected barrel life

Rifle still capable of 1/2moa if I do my bit

I think the 6.5s will have the edge on precision shooting, probably mainly down to recoil and the 6.5s should have a slightly better barrel life unless you do a lot of string firing in which case it won't matter much between either caliber

Duey

From other topics on this site that seems to be the case!!

Oh well.

Thanks for the heads up - i appreciate it - might just stick with my old favourites !

Ian

Archived