Galloway 1000yard BenchRest shoot – 21st August 2016

mole-e30

Galloway Small Arms Club

Gelston 1000yard BenchRest shoot – 21st August 2016

Sorry this report is a few days late, but away on vacation and diplomacy suggested I spend time with “her indoors”.

Firstly the weather, after a very misty time last month how would it be today, especially after a very mixed week? Well not wall to wall sunshine but not raining either. A bit of a wind though. The forecasts, as usual varied, some said 5 gusting 8 others 15 gusting 20, as ever ask 20 shooters and you’ll get 20 variants!

Whilst it did seem windy it seemed pretty steady, would it stay like this when we started?

How many? 16 signed in with maybe another one or two to follow, just the local gang today no visitors from down South. So it looks like 1 Heavy Gun, 5 Factory Sporters and 10 Light Guns.

All ready to rock and roll by about 9:30, that’s great.

Relay one - 2 Light Guns and 2 Factory Sporters. Steven Lumb unfortunately takes a big hit in the third group when the wind drops off and pushes three shots off the paper, David Sharp also manages to pick up a few penalties on the way through, but Peter Cousar manages 4 penalty free groups, however it is Ross McLean who’s left with a reasonable smile managing to keep reasonably tight around the 10”, with one exception.

As ever the wind needs close scrutiny and we need to get the shots off as fast as possible to avoid the lulls!

Relay two – 1 Heavy gun and 3 Light Guns. Stuart Lumb and I manage to keep all shots on the paper, but apart from my 7” group and Stuart’s 10” nothing masterful is evident. Again James Arneil and Dave Rankin (without an e!) get bitten in one or more groups with the odd shot(s) off the paper. The windage turrets getting well exercised as the wind comes up and down, always a bit if a bugger when wind to no wind means on the paper or the risk of being off the paper, little room for error today.

Lunch time and a new butts crew, the butts crew notice immediately that the wind is easing, we demand a re-run! Dave Rankin also treats Steven, Stuart and I to a taste of “rally driving” as we head to the butts.

How will those blessed with an afternoon shoot fair?

Relay 3 – 2 Light Guns and 2 Factory Sporters. Darrell McIlreavy clearly picks the right wind conditions and keeps his groups around the 10” mark except for a very creditable 4.8” in relay 3 – that’s my smallest group gone! Graeme Lumb also retains control and with a 7.8” final group and hold his agg around the 11”’s. David Leslie wins his Factory Sporter battle with Geoff McCluskey in part due to his 8.8” third group. However, for the first time today all shooters keep all shots on the paper. The wind is definitely easier!!!!

Relay 4 – 3 Light Guns and 1 Factory Sporter. Come on Lewis time to wup the”old man”. Bruce bell gets a tasty 8.6” to keep in the top 5, Glyn does very well with a couple of small 8”’s but unfortunately take a hit in group 1 with one off the paper, Lewis tries hard but groups one and four are the let-downs, Robert Wilson shows the .308’s can do it with a sub 10” in relay 3 but 2 off the paper in relay 4 costs him 2nd place in Factory Sporter.

Thanks to the butts crews, efficient as ever, and to the spotters, this time Glyn, Steven and Dave, the process of sighting in is getting well developed and speedy now.

Final results:

Factory Sporter:

1st David Leslie – 12.135”

2nd Peter Cousar – 17.077”

3rd Robert Wilson – 20.482”

Small Group – David Leslie – 8.779”

Heavy Gun:

1st Stuart Lumb – 14.006”

Small Group – Stuart Lumb – 10.393”

Light Gun:

1st Darrell McIlreavy – 9.320”

2nd Tony Lenton – 9.695”

3rd Ross McLean – 10.954”

Small Group – Darrell McIlreavy – 4.842”

Nearest the Bull

Darrell McIlreavy – 0.551“

2016 League Update (after 6 shoots) - top three

Light Gun

Darrell McIlreavy 49pts, Bruce Lenton 47pts, Tony Lenton 42pts

Heavy Gun

Emily Lenton 39pts, Tom Thomson, Steven Lumb and Stuart Lumb all 10pts

Factory Sporter

David Leslie 60pts, Geoff McCluskey 49pts, Peter Cousar 27pts

Next Shoots:

Peter Jackson’s – 28 August

Gelston – 18th September

Diggle - 4th September - for those venturing to Diggle on the 4th it’s recommended you be there by 08:30 as its planned to start by 09:30, and there will be no lunch break - lunch on the hoof. The UKBRA AGM will start after prize giving I guess circa 15:00.

Safe shooting

Tony Lenton

Full Results

Click here to view

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0931mygydbu7n67/Gelston%201000yds%2021st%20August%202016.pdf?dl=0

Thanks for the write up Tony. I think it's fair to say that Gelston has its own intricate winds to match Diggle, and some of them are unseen as could be witnessed by a "lying" wind flag. Great day with good company as usual though.

Thanks for the write up Tony. I think it's fair to say that Gelston has its own intricate winds to match Diggle, and some of them are unseen as could be witnessed by a "lying" wind flag. Great day with good company as usual though.

Now I've got started on this 1000 yard malarkey....are you coming to the last one at Diggle on the 4th, Panda?

It would be nice to catch up.

Cheers. Paul

Now I've got started on this 1000 yard malarkey....are you coming to the last one at Diggle on the 4th, Panda?

It would be nice to catch up.

Cheers. Paul

Hi Paul, yes myself and some of the other guys from the club are coming down. I'm arriving on the Saturday and staying overnight. My 6.5 is dead (the barrel has gone) so i'll be using the Remy.

Hi Paul, yes myself and some of the other guys from the club are coming down. I'm arriving on the Saturday and staying overnight. My 6.5 is dead (the barrel has gone) so i'll be using the Remy.

Nice one....

I'll be the one with the RPR Precision 6.5 Creedmoor!!!!! :ph34r:

Don't forget it's an 8.30 start!!!!

Nice one....

I'll be the one with the RPR Precision 6.5 Creedmoor!!!!! :ph34r:

Don't forget it's an 8.30 start!!!!

Archived