6.5 long range build ideas

I'm dreaming of building a 6.5x47L and I was just hoping for a little feedback on the direction I plan to take, perhaps from those who have paved the way already.

My initial thoughts are to base it on a Tikka T3 action, 26" Border barrel and then mount it all on an AT AICS chassis (if they actually do build the one they have designed for the T3), failing that, something much lighter, like an XLR / MDT / GC Precision.

I guess my goal is to have something that will shoot well out to 1000m, shoot the wings of a gnat at 100m and not be too heavy or too long that I couldn't lug it around after fox or deer if I needed to.

I guess what I'm asking is would I be better off with a UK built Rem 700 based custom action? Longer or shorter barrel? A fancy Proof carbon wrapped barrel? Scrap the 'chassis' and get a traditional stock from the likes of GRS or Manners?

I'd take the Tikka route................mine's a Lothar 30" 8 twist barrel on a Tikka M595 with a CG trigger and a GRS Hybrid stock.

A bit heavy for lugging around shooting stuff, but spot on for targets...........

Pete

I don't know about the T3, but some 700s see serious primer cratering, even 'blanking' with modest pressure loads in the small primer / flash-hole cartridges i/c the 6.5X47L. Some examples are OK, some need the firing pin turned down and a bushing with a smaller aperture inserted into the bolt face.

Do they make an AT AICS for the t3?

There were fairly kosher rumours of one being prototyped, but AFAIK it never got beyond that stage.

There are a number of really good chassis systems for the T3, I own/have owned ... ... ...

• MDT Tac21
  • KRG X-Ray
  • GRS Bolthorn
There are plenty other good chassis systems easily available ... ... ...

• Cadex
  • XLR
  • MDT (Tac21, HS3, LSS, LSS XL)
  • KRG (Whisky 3)
  • Tier One
  • Roedale (yes, I know)
  • McRees
  • CG
  • Ashbury Precision
  • Tubb
  • LARS
  • GC-Precision
  • PDC Custom (Irish)
  • Eliseo
  • Others ... ...

i would have to say go tikka t3 but don't go 6.5x47 for the reasons Laurie states i personally use a custom .260 rem t3 which is light/heavy and still ok for lugging about and fine for the range too good until 1200 with 140 bergers too

post-13546-0-99494200-1472157074_thumb.jpg

i would have to say go tikka t3 but don't go 6.5x47 for the reasons Laurie states i personally use a custom .260 rem t3 which is light/heavy and still ok for lugging about and fine for the range too good until 1200 with 140 bergers too

I don't know about the T3, but some 700s see serious primer cratering, even 'blanking' with modest pressure loads in the small primer / flash-hole cartridges i/c the 6.5X47L. Some examples are OK, some need the firing pin turned down and a bushing with a smaller aperture inserted into the bolt face.

Hmm.. Perhaps .260 Rem would be the better long term choice. What kind of barrel life should you expect from a .260 Rem compared to a 6.5x47L? Greater case volume of the .260 means lower pressures for the same velocity which also means less heat at the throat.

Do they make an AT AICS for the t3?

AI have done all the work, testing and even have the tooling to make an AICS for the T3, they're just not making it yet for some reason.

Hmm.. Perhaps .260 Rem would be the better long term choice. What kind of barrel life should you expect from a .260 Rem compared to a 6.5x47L? Greater case volume of the .260 means lower pressures for the same velocity which also means less heat at the throat.

AI have done all the work, testing and even have the tooling to make an AICS for the T3, they're just not making it yet for some reason.

.260 rem hard use 2500rds and normal use 4000

Im just having one built,

remmington custom action with small firing pin to cope with 6.5 primers better,

Border barrel 24" cant remember the exact profile but its amid weight one,

timney calvin elite trigger,

Im going with a grs stock, i like the laminate ones,

uses will be similar to yourself, fox, deer, long range varmint and punching paper 600y max

The reason i went with 6.5x47 was they are easy to load for, good selection of bullets, low recoil and inherantly accurate.

if you go witb a remmington action vs tikka there are loads of aftermarket parts, i think there is a good selection of tikka ones getting now though,

the world is your oyster build with your head not your wallet!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Is that in both long and short action Dave?

The T3 is only long action.

However, the mags are not. To be honest, I don't know. I would say certainly the short action 308 based calibre mags first.

If it is produced to take long action mags, you only have the 300 win mag, and 338 lap mag magazines. The 300wm mag, can easily accommodate other l/a calibres with a bit of lip tweaking though.

Spot the nugget that's never had a T3 ;)

Looking for an action to build a .338 without breaking the bank(I know, I know.....get what you pay for...)

Never mind, from what I can gather .338 is a bit on the long side for the T3.

Thanks for the info though.

Getting back to the original post, my 47L is a Rem700 with Bartlein M40 profile barrel in a McM A5. If I were doing it again I would lighten the profile a tad to a medium Palma or Sendero profile and use a PSE composites ETac which is now available for the T3 and R700 actions. Would be lighter but not too light and just as shootable.

Hello,
I will follow with attention this post because I will like too build a new rifle in 260rem. (allready : sako TRG 308 border custom barrel, RPA Quadlite 260rem AI stock and soon Manners Folding stock for this RPA)
The difference in my project, I'm looking for a Valkyrie action. (Besides, I said that I was never able to contact them by email :-( )

I have a T3 with a 1-8 twist Bartlin barrel 26" long, chambered for 260 rem. Longest shot so far 1644 yards with 140 Berger hybrid @2811fps. They go through the transonic zone at sea level.

Hello,

I will follow with attention this post because I will like too build a new rifle in 260rem. (allready : sako TRG 308 border custom barrel, RPA Quadlite 260rem AI stock and soon Manners Folding stock for this RPA)

The difference in my project, I'm looking for a Valkyrie action. (Besides, I said that I was never able to contact them by email :-( )

I no longer do any of the Valkyrie actions I'm afraid.

Luckyyou - Lucky you! You just need to contact John Carr of Resolution Precision.

Have a look at the recent Target Shooter article http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?p=1739

He's also got a new action - really nice - built-in Pic rail, built-in recoil-lug - available as repeater or solid bottom.

I no longer do any of the Valkyrie actions I'm afraid.

I think i missed something here in the world of UK guntrade?

It was always a positive to see an individual put his input in a product....

• 11 months later...

Archived