22LR Accuracy Expectation Challenge - 3 consecutive 5 shot groups - Post Photos

brown dog

I shot this series of targets last summer, the same ammo was used and the barrel had been deep cleaned before being conditioned again before shooting this target. Conditioning was firing a box or 50 randomly to lead and lube the barrel up a bit.

IMG_0789.jpg

Since I shot this series I managed to find myself a really nice original Finnfire, my feeling is that it would shoot better than this, I will try and do the same card again and post it. Ammo quality really frustrates me, Ive tried it all over the years and I never found that the really expensive stuff shrunk the groups enough to justify the cost.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Matt, when testing different brands...a good tip is to plink 10 away before you test for a group. That way, when you change ammo, the bore is conditioned well , with the new bullet lube. They are all different.

What a treat to see real targets with proper information.

Here's three more I shot this week. Sako Finnfire, Lilja barrel, Eley match, 51 yards. wobbly bipod, no rear bag, light breeze. 2.5-10x50 scope.

.Snap_2016.08.18_19h29m36s_001_zpso4xllda

there is a couple of nice groups there.mine would match that no prob.the target I posted wasn't great at 50 and 60yds but it held well to 90yd. There is some small written numbers by the yardages.theyre the average drops.110yds was 230mm/9.5 inches from its zero showing at 50yds.not sure I would of seen much difference if I used a sandbag under the butt.ive a leupold vxr 4x12x40 cds on it now.ive got to sort the parallax out so it's perfect for 70yds on 12 mag.ive not got around to getting it done yet.hunt on 7 mag.prefer the extra mag for plinking or a long shot. Had a fox a couple of weeks ago from 100yds.chest shot it did 10yds and keeled over.RIP charlie

I'm loving this thread because it sort of ties in with mine (cz 455 help please). I thought I had about sorted my rifle by doing bits and bobs to it, and they all helped, but my targets are too poo and embarrassing to put up here and I don't know wot else I can do except let someone better than me try my rifle. Keep them coming tho it's very educational

Towsey

Going from my .260 that will dump 140grainers on top of each other at 100 yards to the old .22lr is always a let down accuracy wise for me. However, it is fun and cheap to shoot, and will ring a 4" gong time and time again at 200 yards. Wind can be fun....

Interestingly, I found that my rifle hates Eley Subs, but loves RWS subs, even more so when you remove insane volumes of lube.....

I shot this series of targets last summer, the same ammo was used and the barrel had been deep cleaned before being conditioned again before shooting this target. Conditioning was firing a box or 50 randomly to lead and lube the barrel up a bit.t

IMG_0789.jpg

Since I shot this series I managed to find myself a really nice original Finnfire, my feeling is that it would shoot better than this, I will try and do the same card again and post it. Ammo quality really frustrates me, Ive tried it all over the years and I never found that the really expensive stuff shrunk the groups enough to justify the cost.

7mm to 22mm with everything else constant. Great data! :)

Annie 18 inch heavy match cut down barrel,,,no choke?!,,,fitted with a sleeved threaded adapter and "Hogan" moderator.Eley Match at 50 meters off bags.......same time same place,,,some 5 shots in there and really trying hard,,,some light wind if I remember,,,,tenex will shoot inside this ,,,,I,ve no targets to show right now but will do some in due course.,,,, Grouping a 22lr demands some serious handling ,trigger control and follow through,,,,,pretty much akin to shooting a "springer" air rifle,,,,,,Grass roots mastering of a springer and the a 22Rf will pay dividends in your centerfire performance too

post-41-0-83505200-1471554398_thumb.jpg

7mm to 22mm with everything else constant. Great data! :)

Ahem, there is a 6mm in there if you look closely enough! ;)

Ive found the 1" group @ 100yds a challenge for every .22lr Ive owned yet I regularly range, dial and head shoot bunnies at that distance on still summer evenings. I think the .22lr can be a hard rifle to master in terms of hold pressure and trigger control, I often wonder if this has anything to do with the rifles often only being 3/4 size compared to the c/f rifles we have.

I do really well most of the time with single hunting shots that are ranged and dialled for out to 100yds but can I hell get those elusive 1" groups with the same rifle.

I think the .22lr can be a hard rifle to master in terms of hold pressure and trigger control, I often wonder if this has anything to do with the rifles often only being 3/4 size compared to the c/f rifles we have.

I'd agree with that. I think that what makes my Feinwerkbau so accurate is not its barrel, which is superb but its size, weight and most of all, the spectacular 1.7 ounce match trigger.

I changed the trigger gubbins around on mine maybe 2 years ago.trigger is real light.i would agree on the 22lr is different to shoot to a cf rifle.ive been tempted myself to try some tenex match ammo but I've never bothered.h/v 22 ammo is generally crap in comparison to the subs.wtong twist apparently.a 1 in 9 needed for h/v so I heard somewhere.

I changed the trigger gubbins around on mine maybe 2 years ago.trigger is real light.i would agree on the 22lr is different to shoot to a cf rifle.ive been tempted myself to try some tenex match ammo but I've never bothered.h/v 22 ammo is generally crap in comparison to the subs.wtong twist apparently.a 1 in 9 needed for h/v so I heard somewhere.

Tenex and Eley match are both subsonic. Although it obviously depends on your rifle and particular batch Tenex is listed as 1060 and Match 1057 on the boxes I bought this week. (Tenex £22/Match £16.75 per hundred.

Almost all .22lr barrels are 1/16 twist unless custom ordered.

This is an interesting thread/challenge.

Most match ammunition is pretty much 'sub' with the exception of RWS R100 which runs 1130, not sure how much this helps at distance, would think the little 22rf bullet sheds speed pdq?

Twist rates are around 16", my Annie is 16.5, as are Benchmark 22rf BR

Terry

Note to myself - must get 22rf up and running

AMMO mv 25y 50y 75y 100y 125y 150y 175y 200y

RWS 100 40g BC .130 1150 1094 1048 1009 976 946 919 895 872

ELEY 40 Match BC .150 1085 1041 1003 971 941 915 891 869 848

ELEY 40g Subs BC.118 1065 1013 970 932 900 870 843 817 794

RWS 40gSubs BC .092 1000 949 915 869 835 805 776 749 723

Velocities in fps

Drop/drift inches 10mph) with 100y zero for the Eley Subs are 50y +4/1.5 100 0/5 150 -15/10.5

gbal

Annie 18 inch heavy match cut down barrel,,,no choke?!,,,fitted with a sleeved threaded adapter and "Hogan" moderator.Eley Match at 50 meters off bags.......same time same place,,,some 5 shots in there and really trying hard,,,some light wind if I remember,,,,tenex will shoot inside this ,,,,I,ve no targets to show right now but will do some in due course.,,,, Grouping a 22lr demands some serious handling ,trigger control and follow through,,,,,pretty much akin to shooting a "springer" air rifle,,,,,,Grass roots mastering of a springer and the a 22Rf will pay dividends in your centerfire performance too

post-1450-0-57267900-1471682845_thumb.jpg

Great target - hard to judge, averaging 0.5MOA?

post-15179-0-98999300-1471700741_thumb.jpeg

I don't know if this has worked its my first time

This is mine at 50yds on a bipod and beanbag (rear) Outside with next to no wind trying to find which ammo to use, it looks like cci are better at 50yds but then at 100yds the eleys are better but obviously the groups are much bigger. I agree with what has been said before because I can hit rabbits in the kill zone at 100yds but for whatever reason the groups are what I think are poo. Answers on a postcard ?

W= Winchester hp subs

E= eleys hp subs

F= fiocchi hp subs

C= cci hp subs

This is my 2nd cz 455 after the first was accepted back as faulty by Edgar brothers after been tested by them, but this one is not much better, it has got better from me sanding the bottom of the bolt because it was shaving bullets and it seemed to have oil in the barrel from new but that's now gone aswell but this is as good as I can get it, it's hard to believe that one man got 2 bad cz's in a row I know but I can get good groups with my mates rifles...annoying to say the least

Archived