Which ballistic app

Hi

I'm wanting to download a ballistic app to my galaxy s5, however all the ones I'm finding are more complicated than I need ie.. they ask for altitude, humidity etc.

So I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a simplistic app please, one that doesn't need a lot of imput to get there

Many thanks

SP

I've tried various Apps, but especially Applied Ballistics, Strelok and iSnipe.

My go-to App. is iSnipe which I find very user friendly and accurate, plus it syncs between my iPhone for use at the range and my iPad for use at home. I'm using it on iPhone but assume it's also available for Android.

I have only used Applied Ballistics, it took some time to get the hang of it. However, last time out, on Sat 9 July my drops were all spot on, Not a lot else was however. I don't think you will get much benefit from any ballistics app unless you work with it for some time. The better quality the data input, the more useful the output. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5.

Best regards

JCS

they ask for altitude, humidity etc. Depending on how far you are shooting these inputs are vital. Applied Ballistics app is good out to 1000yds if you plan on shooting farther TRASOL is more accurate you can put in 3 wind variables. I use a Kestrel elite 5700 with AB (2 wind variables), a Rianov eagle gen 2, and the Trasol app.

• 11 months later...

A quick question, have you updated your opinion on these two over the past year? Which one is your go to App? Or have you found something better?

Thanks JCS

Depends what I'm doing tbh. If I'm shooting prone from a vantage point I use my Kestrel Elite 5700 in the Kestrel weather vane and use the Kestrel liNk app. It records instant data and updates your fire solution on the fly.

If I'm walking around I just ten to use my 5700 Elite as thay has the applied ballistic software built into it and give you a on the fly fire solution including bondage.

The strelok pro version on my phone and iPad is the best Mobile app one i find.

Hope this helps and answered your question.

Steve.

Depends what I'm doing tbh. If I'm shooting prone from a vantage point I use my Kestrel Elite 5700 in the Kestrel weather vane and use the Kestrel liNk app. It records instant data and updates your fire solution on the fly.

If I'm walking around I just ten to use my 5700 Elite as thay has the applied ballistic software built into it and give you a on the fly fire solution including bondage.

The strelok pro version on my phone and iPad is the best Mobile app one i find.

Hope this helps and answered your question.

Steve.

Steve

Thanks, that's very helpful.

Best regards

JCS

Strelock pro for me. Easy to use, and has a good database of rets (not that I bother much with the ret function). Wasn't aware of the reported transonic bug. So far out to 1000 yds, it's been bang on the nail for elevation, as long as I take the trouble to verify my hand load velocity data.

Strelock pro for me. Easy to use, and has a good database of rets (not that I bother much with the ret function). Wasn't aware of the reported transonic bug. So far out to 1000 yds, it's been bang on the nail for elevation, as long as I take the trouble to verify my hand load velocity data.

I haven't checked if it affects the trajectory, I just noticed that if you start a bullet at say 2500ft/s when it gets to 1000ft/s the rate of velocity loss is much higher than if you start the same bullet (i.e. same bc) at 1000ft/s. That should not be the case.

I haven't checked if it affects the trajectory, I just noticed that if you start a bullet at say 2500ft/s when it gets to 1000ft/s the rate of velocity loss is much higher than if you start the same bullet (i.e. same bc) at 1000ft/s. That should not be the case.

Ah, gotchyah. That does sem a little odd. I'd expect the rate of loss and trajectory to be matched for any given velocity for the same projectile. Perhaps the BC taken for 1000fps and under is (understandably) less, but that means that the change through the transonic region is factoring in a different drag factor within the app to that input for 1000fps if that is the case. ie for starting at "normal" MV's the app adjusts BC accordingly with distance but if starting out low and you input a higher MV BC, the app doesn't adjust? Speculation I know but it might explain it.

I was RO'ing at the SGA shoot this weekend and took the opportunity to ask folk what they were using. Strelok Pro seemed to be the clear winner in terms of usage on Saturday. I used Applied Ballistics and so did one other competitor I spoke to. Another guy was using i-Snipe.

I'm going to give Strelok Pro a whirl and compare it to Applied Ballistics.

Thanks

JCS

I was RO'ing at the SGA shoot this weekend and took the opportunity to ask folk what they were using. Strelok Pro seemed to be the clear winner in terms of usage on Saturday. I used Applied Ballistics and so did one other competitor I spoke to. Another guy was using i-Snipe.

I'm going to give Strelok Pro a whirl and compare it to Applied Ballistics.

Thanks

JCS

I would be interested in your results/comparison.

Geek

I have started looking at Strelok Pro. It's been much quicker to get going than Applied Ballistics and Igor has been more helpful than Bryan Litz. I also note that all my reticles are supported.

Interestingly I've found that my phone has a pressure sensor that will give me Station Pressure.

http://lowdown.carphonewarehouse.com/feature/meet-the-samsung-galaxy-s6-and-its-sensors/30129/

Given the range of parameters that can be entered and the Lapua custom drag data, I think it's going to be very difficult to make an exact comparison on the output for a specific target scenario.

Regards

JCS

• 2 weeks later...

Archived