Loading the 6.5CREEDMOOR whith diferents powders...

BERGEON

Woaa!!! Very impressive this velocity just over 3000fps! (Without signs of higth presure certainly? :unsure: )

Can you specify the load and the powder Zzrpilot? ;)

With Small rifle the new LAPUA case are more brass around the Primer Pocket and perhaps a better resistance to the Presure than a Large primer Case???

(For Pow1 : For the LAPUA Scenar 139 gr I tried one jump : .020'', and I have a good accuracy ! )

​A+

​Laurent

Yes it is fast and we ran it over a good chrono to be sure. When we are happy with the load and the load has been run through proof house I will be publishing loads but not before

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it is fast and we ran it over a good chrono to be sure. When we are happy with the load and the load has been run through proof house I will be publishing loads but not before

Did it come down from 3100 on the second test?

Have you run it on quick load to see what pressures you may be getting?

Laurent,

Thats very detailed and helpful data for me, im a little disappointed at the RS accuracy, RS40 in my 308 is very good...

Im hoping my tikka will actually be available in the next 2 weeks and then over then next few months I will tey some loads and upload my data. I think I will try the 139g scenars as well.

I will uae the lapua cases with small primer.

What jump were you using?

Many thanks,

Paolo

RS40 is too fast burning for the 260 Rem and 6.5 Creedmoor which need powders around 4350 burning speeds - so the three 4350s (i/c Lovex SO70), RS60/62, IMR-4350/4451; H4350/414; Viht N150/550/160.

RS40 is the canister version of the propellant used in the Swiss 5.6mm Gewehr Patrone 90, (GP 90) cartridge, their take on the later heavy (63gn in Swiss form) bullet 5.56X45mm Nato round with which it is interchangeable. It will give very high velocities in .308 Win with 155gn class bullets, but isn't as well suited to heavier bullets in the cartridge as RS50 and RS52.

That's the first I've heard of this - thank you for the link Laurent. I'm not too surprised - all powder manufacturers are moving this way, most likely to stay competitive in military ammunition markets, but we recreational shooters get the benefits too.

Yes Laurie I know the American Powder send this anti-fouling Powder for the .223 Rem if I remember good!

IT's a member of a French forum (TMF) that give me the information, but I quickly searched this PDF on the site Vihta without success!

If you're more lucky than me I'm a taker! ;)

Always a peasure to read you!

A+

Laurent.

Ps : I will test my Magic realod (44 gr H4350 +Lapua scenar 139 gr le 06/23-24 at 600m 1000m and 1270m CAYLUS) :P

IT's a member of a French forum (TMF) that give me the information, but I quickly searched this PDF on the site Vihta without success!

If you're more lucky than me I'm a taker! ;)

Eurêka Laurie!

I find this on Facebook page Vihtavuori :

Vihtavuori Powders – better for barrels with decoppering agent!

All Vihtavuori reloading powders produced today have an added decoppering agent. What does that mean for you, the reloader using our powders?

Well, the decoppering agent reduces the amount of copper residue that forms within the rifle bore when shooting. Less copper residue translates as a cleaner rifle barrel. For the reloading target shooter, this means muzzle velocities with less deviation and increased accur...acy, especially when firing multiple groups.

Shooting tests comparing the results of shots fired using a powder without the decoppering agent versus a powder with the decoppering agent show a notable difference in the amount of copper residue inside the rifle bore after only 50 shots (enclosed picture).

16/03/2017

http://www.vihtavuori.com/en/news/22

A+

Laurent.

Viking Arms said some months back that they would be importing Peterson Creedmoor and 308 brass as well as others.

Viking Arms have had Peterson Creedmoor brass on order since September and they don't know when it will arrive. But they do have Lapua Creedmoor cases in stock.

It likely shows just how mad the demand for good Creedmoor brass is over in the US! I imagine it's cheaper than Lapua there.

So in conclusion - if you are looking for a European powder for 6.5 Creedmoor to run a heavyish bullets - specifically the 139gr scenar and 140gr Berger hybrid

the best is probably RS62 and maybe VV N160 ??? (as the closest to the proven stateside 6.5CM benchmark of H4350)

I am looking for accuracy and good (not mental) performance without frying the barrel in 1000 rounds

does this sound reasonable?

any view on primers - am picking up some supplies tomorrow and my latest research on 6.5CM load data / recommendations with the European powders has yielded pretty slim pickings

Hobbit, I run my CM with H4350 and SMK 142 grain bullets at ~2850/60 fps and 139 Scenars at ~2900 fps. Accuracy is excellent in both cases. I know some like to push theirs faster but the elevation and wind compensation isn't worth it IMHO.

I understand (and QuickLoad verifies this) that RS62 gives higher MVs but I've yet too test it.

Thank you for that Brillo

I picked up some RS62 today to load develop for my new 6.5CM - I will magneto speed the results (I will aim to find a good group/stable POI/stable MV node) and report back given the sparse data here - I got a reloader swiss reloading handbook and it did not even feature the 6.5CM

Regards

Hobbit

Hobbit, I run my CM with H4350 and SMK 142 grain bullets at ~2850/60 fps and 139 Scenars at ~2900 fps. Accuracy is excellent in both cases. I know some like to push theirs faster but the elevation and wind compensation isn't worth it IMHO.

I understand (and QuickLoad verifies this) that RS62 gives higher MVs but I've yet too test it.

Hi Brillo,

It's a pleasure to read you!

It's a very good vellocity 2900 fps (884 m/s) for the association LAPUA Scenar 139gr + H4350 in 6.5Creedmoor !

Is it possible to know your load of H4350 and your lengh barrel?

Because in my RPR (24'' 5R) I run my LAPUA Scenar 139 gr Moly at 2800 fps(853 m/s) and when I see Quick Load the presure is near the Pmax with 43.85 gr H4350...Be carrefull! :o

A+

Laurent.

berg-527f5bb.jpg