Ok ,,,,,,basically,,,I had put an older fixed 12 x leupold on my Sako 22PPC and had no problem zeroing the scope but when it came to dialling in some ranged and dialled in distant targets it became apparent that shots were going high all of the time.Zero was a pretty good 200yards and no reason to be having quite large errors.With everything being double checked especially velocity and data input I then began to suspect the scope.In the bottom of my shooting gear box I had an old folded up drawing with accurately laid out MOA lines that I had used yonks ago to check accuracy of a scopes dialling.I put the drawing on a target board at exactly 100 yards and with the help of a friend firmly held the scoped rifle down on rests whilst my friend dialled the old scope up and down whilst I observed movement of the reticule.It was soon confirmed that the scope was "over" dialling and most accurately observed that when dialling to 4MOA on the scopes turret the crosshairs sat firmly on the 5 MOA line and dialling to 8 MOA the crosshairs sat on the 10 MOA line....quite how this was happening is a puzzle but clearly something consistently wrong within the turret?,,,,,The scope returned to zero without problem each time so began to think about the scopes future use if any?,,,,later that day and playing./checking Strelok programme I noticed that it was possible to change click values on the zero and scope setting section,,,,mmmm hope!!

I worked out the actual click value of the scopes turret with some simple maths and this came out to .327 of and inch at 100 yards,,,loaded this into the programme and setting vertical clicks to inches not MOA at 100 I can now work with the programme telling me the number of (.327] clicks to dial for any given range.,,,Yet to be tested I,m confident but still wondering what the technical fault within the turret is all about???It is an old scope but is nice and light and quite bright and very clear.When I,ve field tested the rifle again I will report if the fix was successful or not....

So there we are,,,just thought I would post it up ,,,,and if your having mysterious dialling errors,,,,check your scope out on a MOA checker at 100 yards perhaps,,,,,,regds ,,,,O

• 2 weeks later...

Update,,,,,Cast in stone no wind 200 yard zero was obtained and,finally got out to field test dialling the 12x leupold using Strelok,s modified "Click" values and right away it was apparent i was on the right tract but still shots were going high ,,,,I picked a small embedded stone about the size of a half bunny at 380 yards and dialled down untill I made contact,,,reworked the maths again and came up with a more accurate click value of .350 per click @100 yards which starngely is very very close to a mil spec value???,,,,,anyway using this value and ranging and clicking to Streloks figures I was dialling and making clean kills anywhere up to around 400 yards,,,,,not gone further yet as land i was on limited any shots further out but will open her up a bit more another day.At least I,ve got a 0 to 400 workable window now with this old 12x which was actuallu made in 1975!!!!!!,,,,Really cant understand the click value in this scope but it tracks absolutely spot on up and down the turret but nowhere near any MOA click value???....I could just slap on a NF but it looks cool as an early days "Varminter" USA style,,,,,,O

Some scopes do have a degree of tracking error in them, like you have found out with yours.

Best method to use to avoid working it out several times over multiple distance is this.....

(Tall target test)

Draw a vertical line on a tall target approx 36", make sure it is perfectly level with a spirit level or plumb Bob.

Put it out at 100 yatds and zero your rifle there.

Dial up 30MOA and fire another group.

Here you are checking a few things, 1) is your scope level and 2)checking your scopes tracking error.

Then you need to measure the distance between zeroed group and the group dialed group. This will give you an excat tracking error figure after you have done the math.

Let me know if your going to do it this way and I'll be more then happy to share the formula to work this out.

Cheers fella

Steve

Some scopes do have a degree of tracking error in them, like you have found out with yours.

Best method to use to avoid working it out several times over multiple distance is this.....

(Tall target test)

Draw a vertical line on a tall target approx 36", make sure it is perfectly level with a spirit level or plumb Bob.

Put it out at 100 yatds and zero your rifle there.

Dial up 30MOA and fire another group.

Here you are checking a few things, 1) is your scope level and 2)checking your scopes tracking error.

Then you need to measure the distance between zeroed group and the group dialed group. This will give you an excat tracking error figure after you have done the math.

Let me know if your going to do it this way and I'll be more then happy to share the formula to work this out.

Cheers fella

Steve

Thanks Steve,,,,,yes I could have checked more thoroughly and actually shot at an extended MOA target but my field test with the rifle pinned down and a friend turning the turrets looked so accurate in showing the faultI didn,t think to actually shooting at the MOA lines.Pretty sure I have fudged Strelok to whats actually happening but I have now put a NF on this rifle and the Leupold has gone on my Howa mini 223,,,,,I will be getting this zeroed up shortly and run a test similar to what you suggest.I,m ok on the maths but thanks for you offer of help.

I,ve moved the scope off the Sako as I will be doing a lot of dialling with this rifle and really need the accuracy of the NF in this case.The Howa is more linked to 0-250 maybe 300 and don't mind working with just a few clicks on occasions.

Akeld,,,,yep ,,,may just do this in the end,,,,mmmm

Thanks for you responses,,,,,,,O

OK matey no probs, please let us know how you get on with the NF scope and it set up. Would be interested to here.

Atb

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

OK matey no probs, please let us know how you get on with the NF scope and it set up. Would be interested to here.

Atb

Steve

Update for you Steve,,,,not tested NF yet,,,,was more concerned with the old Loop which now sits on a mini 223 Howa,,,,,,made up a tallish target with lines drawn up to a max of 14 MOA as this little rifle would seldom be asked to do more than 500 at best!!! and internals of scope probably wouldn,nt do a great deal more after zero loss etc,,,,,anyway,,,,good news the scope tracks perfectly and dialled up group at 40 clicks up landed dead on the vertical line and also intermediate groups,,,,happy with that,,,,,.Dialling!! well pretty much as suspected and proven in the field I shot groups at 16,,,,,20,,,,32,,,,,and 40 clicks up and with averaging on group size and measuring as carefully as possible the value per click came out at .around .36/.37 and pretty much concurs with what worked well in the field.....So the fact that it does this so consistently I will work with it given if it were even min .35 or max .37 per click that's pretty much only 1 click error at 500 yards,,,,,,,conditions would probably equate to more,,,,,interesting experiment,,,,,will do the NfF on the Sako PPC another day,,,,,thanks for your interest.,,,,atb,,,,,,O

Update for you Steve,,,,not tested NF yet,,,,was more concerned with the old Loop which now sits on a mini 223 Howa,,,,,,made up a tallish target with lines drawn up to a max of 14 MOA as this little rifle would seldom be asked to do more than 500 at best!!! and internals of scope probably wouldn,nt do a great deal more after zero loss etc,,,,,anyway,,,,good news the scope tracks perfectly and dialled up group at 40 clicks up landed dead on the vertical line and also intermediate groups,,,,happy with that,,,,,.Dialling!! well pretty much as suspected and proven in the field I shot groups at 16,,,,,20,,,,32,,,,,and 40 clicks up and with averaging on group size and measuring as carefully as possible the value per click came out at .around .36/.37 and pretty much concurs with what worked well in the field.....So the fact that it does this so consistently I will work with it given if it were even min .35 or max .37 per click that's pretty much only 1 click error at 500 yards,,,,,,,conditions would probably equate to more,,,,,interesting experiment,,,,,will do the NfF on the Sako PPC another day,,,,,thanks for your interest.,,,,atb,,,,,,O

Interesting test and results. Can we conclude that it's a 1 cm per click scope then.

1cm at 100mts = .394" at 109.36yds.

= .36 at 100 yds. :)

Interesting test and results. Can we conclude that it's a 1 cm per click scope then.

1cm at 100mts = .394" at 109.36yds.

= .36 at 100 yds. :)

Yes this does appear to be whats occurring ,,,,,I,d better come clean on this,,,,,,what I have been using is yes,,,an older 12x Loop which did not originally have any target turrets fitted but I did have a couple of spare turret assemblies from years ago that were once fitted to a 6.5x20x40 VarX 111,,,1/4 MOA clicks,,,,,,,I had seen a turret swap/conversion/fitting done many times by a noted "person"and confidently thought I would give this 12x "a turret",,,,,what I think has happened is that the turret is acting on a either a shorter or longer part of the scopes internals thus giving an increased value per click,,,possibly?? Anyway all seems to be working well ,,,,the scope only stands me in for £175 so didn,t hold my breath during the process,,,,,probably making some of you wince ,,,,should have been a brain surgeon or not ?,,,,,,,,,O

Archived