Galloway 1000 Yard Benchrest - 15th May 2016

mole-e30

Galloway Small Arms Club

Gelston 1000yard BenchRest shoot – 15th May 2016

A beautiful morning in the South West of Scotland a bit chilly, but bright, sunny and NO WIND, what a great day this will be!

A bit down on numbers, 11 shooters, welcome to two new folks to try what must be one of the most challenging forms of shooting 1000yard benchrest.

Just to be sure it’s decided to check the weight of all the guns today, not too much of an issue for Factory Sporters but important for Light and Heavy Guns.

First detail starting by 10:30, know ‘cos I looked at my watch. Sighting in was relatively easy and soon we were underway with the first of the record cards. But wait a minute there’s mirage and I for one cannot see the centre bull nor the rings on the target – bl__dy hell difficult to shoot when you can’t see the target. Others not fazed too much, this is the down side of fixed power 50 power scopes.

Tom Thomson is really going for it, first two groups around 200mm or less, and nothing too extreme for the rest of us, but I’m still struggling to see. We’re all doing reasonably but the mirage is a bit of an issue. Relay 3 and Tom loses a shot that puts the rest us back in the running. Relay 4 and oops a bit of wind and the sun has disappeared a bit. This is great I can now see the centre bull and the rings.

That’s us finished and now the winding is picking up a bit and there is certainly a chill in the air.

Check weighing of Tom’s rifle with its moderator finds him “an accidental Heavy Gun”. Sorry Tom, but as he’s the only one, Emily Lenton has a ballet exam, he’s sure to win something.

Next group - one Light gun and three Factory Sporters, including our two new guests. All successfully sighted in just. Relay one – sighters all over the place a massive wind shift, the kindly RO allows a few more sighters and off we go. Unfortunately a number of penalties are about now. The wind has not only picked up in strength sufficiently such that wind to no wind can leave you off the paper but it’s also swinging through 900 too. Scope turrets are getting a fair amount of adjustment as windage is adjust first one way then the other and then back again! This wind is causing folks quite a bit of a headache, not going to be any records now. Bruce Lenton even manages a 500mm+ long time since he’s done that. Our two new guests (David Sharpe and Alan Warwick) kept going despite some shots blown off the paper, well done great start for your 1000yards “careers”. Alan, get some heavier bullets!!!

Change of butts crew now, last group, two factory sporters and two light guns. Lewis is oozing youthful confidence, look out Darrell.

Unfortunately the wind is getting worse, stronger and switching more frequently. Scope turrets again getting regular exercise and all have scores with “P” – penalty, no one escapes the dreaded penalty. Again no records but plenty of humour including the quote of the week “Shooting at Ingleston can make grown men cry!”acknowledgement David Leslie, who is not having all his own way in Factory Sporter.

All finished, I am pleased to have shot first on the morning, mirage is better than wind!

Thanks to the butts crews, sterling work and also Glen with his spotting scope, a fantastic help.

Final results:

Factory Sporter:

1st David Leslie – 19.439”

2nd Geoff McCluskey – 26.280”

3rd Alan Warwick – 43.967”

Small Group – David Leslie – 11.102”

Heavy Gun:

1st Tom Thomson – 10.433”

Small Group – Tom Thomson – 6.378”

Light Gun:

1st Tony Lenton – 9.981”

2nd Bruce Bell – 12.805”

3rd Bruce Lenton – 13.228”

Small Group – Tony Lenton – 7.600”

Nearest the Bull

Tony Lenton – 1.654“

2016 League Update (after 3 shoots) - top three

Light Gun

Bruce Lenton 28pts, Darrell McIlreavy 23pts, Bruce Bell 23pts

Heavy Gun

Emily Lenton 20pts, Tom Thomson 10pts

Factory Sporter

David Leslie 30pts, Geoff McCluskey 25pts, Dave Rankin 17pts

Whilst it was a challenge I’m sure all enjoyed themselves and don’t worry summer’s just around the corner.

Next Shoots:

Peter Jackson’s – 29 May 12:00

Gelston – 12 June 09:00.

Safe shooting

Tony Lenton

Full Results

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1jt1f8eekb5ny9/Gelston%201000yds%2015th%20May%202016.pdf?dl=0

The wind was entertaining in the afternoon to say the least but we all kept our humour. Lewis learnt a valuable lesson of making sure to turn the turrets the right way. If we don't shoot in these conditions we don't learn. Great write up Tony.

i would like to thank every body at the Gelston 1000yard BenchRest shoot , I had a great day and with help from other members managed to get some bullets on the board ,will have to find something a bit heaver than the 110s and maybe the wind won't blow them around as much.

​many thanks Allan

One of the most challenging forms of shooting 1000yds benchrest lol

A bench

Benchrests

50 power upward scopes

Sandbangs

50lb guns

Lmao.that should be one of the easiest shooting sports.

yeah your right-so the next shoot we will see you there and you should beat all comers-because its easy.

so let us know how you get on.

I am not saying was easy I said it should be with all the kit used.i have shot at 1000yds probaly 100 to 120 times so I do have a idea what I am talking about.I use a rear bag to zero with usually.for one I get a more accurate zero.two I conserve the ammo.only usually allow myself 10 zeroing shots.5 or 6 is usually enough but use the rest up to be sure.

I shot at 1000yds 3 times today.i took enough 140gr nosler custom competition loads for 2 details.these shoot amazing at 100yds.they were bloody awful.had the same happen last time zeroing.stopped using them and used 130gr vld load.conditions were alot worse than today.i cant say I understand why why the nos cc are that bad at that range..i used my 140gr amax load on 3rd go and they were way way better.

A bench

Benchrests

50 power upward scopes

Sandbangs

50lb guns

Swaro, your comment is based on a false premise. I have shot long range BR at Diggle for several years and more recently at Gelston which is on my doorstep. Let me assure you that there's not many 50+ powered scopes on the circuit nor really "heavy" guns. Most heavy guns could be more accurately described as "cruiser" weight, coming in no more than 5 - 10lbs above the light gun weight limit.

While the above is worth noting, it should also be noted that benchrest shooting in the South of Scotland is relatively new and most competitors are using factory sporter actions with heavier barrels which move them to light gun class. Front bag riders are generally homemade from blocks of wood, rear bag riders don't exist with competitors using squeezy bags under sporter rifle stocks with a less than optimum rake on them. There are some benchrest stocks to be seen, but not many. Front rests, in the main, are homemade as well (ingenious but not to the same engineering standards that can be found commercially) with some using bipods......yes, there are a couple of Seb rests in use but they are in the minority. I hope The Gun Pimp won't mind me quoting him from the visit the Diggle guys & gals paid last year when he said that the level of kit being used by the regulars at Gelston was what was being used some 10 to 15 years ago at Diggle when long range benchrest was beginning in the UK.

The conditions on the day would have been challenging for anyone (as was proved by 2 shooters who represent the UK at both European and World level) and to minimise the achievements of the shooters on the day with your incorrect assumption of the kit being used does them a dis-service in my opinion.

A bench

Benchrests

50 power upward scopes

Sandbangs

50lb guns

Trouble is Swarovski - everyone has the all the kit you list.

But, benchrest competition isn't just about shooting small groups - like all shooting disciplines, it's about beating the other guys!

I don't really care how big my groups are - as long as they're smaller than everyone else's.

It's all about the competition matey.

Hey guys it is just a bit of freindly banter though the kit used should and does help with the precision shooting,I very often make little gagdits to aide my shooting, to me reading results where you lot have shot 3 or 4 inch groups is amazing at 1k no matter what kit you used to do it, on my 3rd go at 1k I sent my 3 siters downrange and target reappeared and it looked like all markers were touching/overlapping, momoments like that is what makes it all worth while especially when there is 2 other shooters witness it nevermind the others who are watching through spotting scopes from behind us.no offence ment .atb swaro

:-) I absolutely agree with Neil's general position,that all the rests and quality gear and heavy rifles,super ballistic cartridges,great scopes and light triggers etc etc make shooting such BR easy.

:-) I absolutely disagree with Neil's presumed conclusion that success must follow . The really difficult bit is not getting the shot to leave the rifle,but getting it to impact the target very close to the other shots. Wind judgement is the skill,and it cometh not easy,nor can it be had for silver.

And as Vince says,groups vary-from the same shooter/rig,pretty well directly proportional to wind-the criterion is to be the best on the day-and that largely boils down to 'best wind reader'.They of course,will be fairly consistent at that-though a one off fluke is always possible.

And VInce's further point holds too-there have been considerable technical improvements in the gear-no more old socks,now we have super slick ears rear bags,coaxial precision adjustments on the fron heavy rest,really fine cross hairs on increasingly powerful scopes,cloned meplets,improved ballistic bullets and cartridges,and precision rifles,with a corrsponding decrease in aggregate group sizes,and records,especially indeed only consistently-when shot by good wind readers,and differences on paper remain at each competition.

"Accuracy" -putting the bullets where you want them- retains a considerable human element-in essence,gun handling and crucially the 'shooting solution' decided by the shooter to deal with conditions (wind) as the shooter judges.Precision of rifle and ammo set the lower limit;aids to good shooting-rests,scopes,stocks,triggers and so on help the shooter approach intrinsic precision limits;within that,it's the shooter's skill in applying a correct firing solution that remains the critical factor in consistent success.

( the rests etc much reduce breathing control,leg positions and all that-competent shooters are good enough on those now very minor details).

(consistent because,as Vince says,sometimes the wind blows them in!)

All quite basic,when spelled out,perhaps,but not easy peasy to accomplish. The merit of such analyses is to suggest areas for improved precision,and isolate the big one- 'the nut be hind the but' ,especially skill in making the appropriate firing solution as a cognitive decision.

But we all know that,just resist it's full force sometimes,and hope the latest precision breakthrough will sort us out-the joy of a hobby- ( and indeed,lasers did that for field shooting range,so that source of error is err gone but not with the wind,which perseveres and perplexes still.) :-)

gbal

I am a believer too in that your shots get blown back on target.i think it was a 1k shoot back in April I had 2 in the 3 inch vbull.another 2 in the c ring which inside 9 inches.i didn't have much else going for my cof so I assumed the wind helped out swaro for a change lol

• 3 weeks later...

Swaroski1........

The 2 next comps are this Sunday (12th June) @ Gelston or the following Sunday (19th June) @ Diggle.

Please feel free to turn up and have a go.

I am sure we could all learn a thing or two.

There are a number of Novice / Nearly Novice shooters @ Gelston and they shoot very well in some actually quite harsh conditions, the range (until last week thanks to 2 members) didn't have any of the large flag poles and pennants like Diggle or Bisley, so wind reading even for us more experienced shooters is somewhat hard.

If you do want to shoot a 50lb Heavy gun in a co-axial rest, with a 55 x scope, but in 6BR! then you can feel free to use mine and compete against my 9 year old daughter, just let me know enough in advance so I can load you some ammo.

Look forward to seeing you at one of the shoots.

Bruce

Just out of curiosity, can anyone tell me what the weight limit is for light gun?

Many thanks

Hi there. I believe the weight limit is 17lbs max for light gun long range bench rest.

Archived