Re barreling a 6.5-284

newsatten

Picking your brains guys, What sort of time scale we talking?

Only a mate of mine put his in to be done and almost 5 months later still aint got it back :wacko:

Is this normal?

Got my 308 back from Dolphin in 12 days............but he did have the barrel on the shelf.

H/man

Er, not 100% sure but , think my mate was expecting it back late Jan early Feb?

From what i can see this is an unusually long winded job, so he needs to get on the smiths case!

Er, not 100% sure but , think my mate was expecting it back late Jan early Feb?

From what i can see this is an unusually long winded job, so he needs to get on the smiths case!

Certainly shouldn't be - there are plenty of serious players here in the gunsmithing world who ought to be able to advise.

The rifle builder In question is me. I agree it has gone on longer than originally quoted, and I have explained both the personal and workload reasons for the delay. Rifle is complete and is awaiting collection on Monday.

I am not perfect, I have been juggling a vastly increased workload along with the learning curve of expanding a small business, I am also not the most organised individual at the best of times, and things have gotten on top of me the last few months.

I am implementing new systems currently as well as looking for staff to help deal with the administrative burden.

I thoroughly love my job, and really enjoy getting to meet new people and accompanying them on their journey through the process of having either a new barrel fitted or a full build. Sadly as workload increases there is less and less time for this side of things, and unless you have your ducks in a row it is very easy to become swamped and have to claw your way out.

I can only apologise for the less than ideal situation, and try and learn from the lessons I have been taught.

Having known Paddy first as a customer and then watching him start up in the rifle building business and make a success of it, I can say I do not believe he would ever let a customer down without very good reason.

As in any business run and operated by a sole owner, it starts by doing a good job for someone who then recommends you to others.Then the snowball effect kicks in and before you know it you are working until midnight most nights and trying to catch up at weekends. You try not to turn business away as "it's just another barrel job - I can fit it in" becomes the norm. Admin like ordering components, vat returns and quotes become harder to get done and you have a list of jobs you never seem to get around to.

To you the customer there is only one rifle that matters, yours. However your rifle builder may be juggling 10, 15 or more builds or rebarreling jobs at the same time.

It sounds like this rifle is completed and I'm sure the owner will be pleased with the work done and the delay in this instance will soon be forgotten.

Paddy, you honesty is very refreshing, not always easy to be so candid. I can think of one smith, not in this country, who could learn a thing or two from you.

Top man, keep up the good work.

Mike

No matter what business you are in you can gauge the calibre of the business how they deal with you when there's a hitch. We can all impart good news, however most find it difficult imparting bad news or simply bury their head in the sand without explanation hoping it goes away.

Paddy, I can only applaud you for tackling this head on and with an audience as well. I wonder how many others would be so brave?

Archived