UKBRA 100 & 1000 Yards (2nd and 3rd April 2016)

mole-e30

UKBRA Benchrest Round 1 – 2nd and 3rd April 2016

This weekend saw round 1 of the UKBRA 100 and 1000 yard leagues at Diggle ranges.

100 yards - Saturday

A not so great day weather-wise, rain and some breeze, so we all had to be a bit careful, but it is still spring!!

However there were some quite small groups going around, with no less than 6 groups in the 1's and all of the top 6 agg'ing in the 2's, so not bad going folks.

Darrel Evans was the man to beat today in Heavy Varmint, but word has it that he is running out of G&C bullets, what to use next Darrel??

Martin Miles was pushing hard today, but couldnt quite pip Darrel to it.

Best group of the day went to Octogenarian Don Burrows with a very respectable 0.141" group, well done Don.

The Sporter Class boys and girls had a good day today as well, with some very promising results and a fierce battle between Stuart Benson and Steve Barrett for the top spot and the small group patch.

A good turn out too, with 7 in Sporter class, nice to see a good battle going on.

Here are the results……….

Heavy Varmint

1. – Darrel Evan – 0.2316” (average of 5 x 5 shot groups)

2. – Martin Miles – 0.2340

3. – Vince Bottomley – 0.2618

Small Group – Don Burrows – 0.141

Sporter

1. – Steve Barrett – 0.5280” (average of 5 x 5 shot groups)

2. – Stuart Benson – 0.5800

3. – Oliver Monk – 0.5898

Small Group – Stuart Benson – 0.271

Full results can be seen by clicking the link below

1000 yards – Sunday

In stark contrast to Saturday, Sunday dawned and we were greeted with sunshine and a near flat calm…….. how long will this last we all asked!

Well the near perfect sunshine lasted for the entire day, there were some brief spells with a slight breeze, which would catch you if you didnt watch it. However the sunshine and lack of wind did lead to some mirage at times and people were trading windage for vertical stringing.

However on the whole the groups were extremely good and the top groups were as follows, Factory – Nick Parkin 6.181”, Heavy Gun – Ian Dixon 10.039” and Light Gun – Sean Broxham 3.622

Well done Sean on the first "Screamer" of the year.

There was a great tussle going on in Light Gun, with Luke Wadsworth taking the win on the final shot of the day, with myself in second and Sean settling for third.

We also had a great tussle in Light Gun between Grandad and Grandson duo Martin Miles and Dylan Raynor, sadly Dylan just lost out to his Grandad on his last group, he will catch you soon Martin!

In heavy gun we were missing a few of our usual faces, however it was Ian Dixon with his 308 FTR rifle that was showing everyone how to do it with a 10" small group and an 11" agg, remember we are now on 4 10 shot groups in Heavy Gun, so a very consistent performance from Ian. Mark Ellis with his 6mm Dasher came in a respectable second, followed by Sheila McGowan.

In Factory class the “Shooting God” was back out again, but today it was Nick Parkin who took the small group, the win and also beat every other competitor out there with his bog standard Factory Savage....... Laurie Holland also had a Factory Savage in 6.5 Creedmoor, which didnt do too bad coming in second, so "Shooting God" Stuart Benson had to settle for 3rd place, but also using a Factory Savage of course..... Congratulations to you all!

Anyway, without further ado, here are the results

Light Gun

1. – Luke Wadsworth – 8.228” (average of 4 x 5 shot groups)

2. – Bruce Lenton – 8.671

3. – Sean Broxham – 9.163

Small Group – Sean Broxham – 3.622

Heavy Gun

1. – Ian Dixon – 11.299” (average of 4 x 10 shot groups)

2. – Mark Ellis – 14.341

3. – Sheila McGowan – 22.815

Small Group – Ian Dixon – 10.039

Factory Sporter

1. – Nick Parkin – 7.077” (average of 4 x 5 shot groups)

2. – Laurie Holland – 10.266

3. – Stuart Benson – 11.270

Small Group – Nick Parkin – 6.181

Full results can be seen by clicking the link below.

Our next outing at Diggle is the weekend of 30th April and 1st May, so please as always come along and have fun, we may even get some sun, it is supposed to be summer after all.

An out of the box Savage 12 LRP (Long Range Precision) barely run in yet. (26-inch barrel job.) Prepped Norma brass; CCI-BR2, 140gn Nosler CC, BTO batched, trimmed and lightly pointed; 42.2gn Reload Swiss RS62 (NOT the hot Elcho-17/Re17 equivalent, rather the long-grained single-based equivalent to H4350/IMR-4350/N160). A very mild 2,715 fps MV. Best group was number 3 at a shade over 7-inches; worst #4 that saw the wind die and mirage inject vertical. An interesting start - lots of load development to do and many bullets to try. That'll be its only 1K BR outing, but if it gets good enough, it'll get a 100 BR tryout too, and I'll also do a mid-range F-Class match or two to see how competitive such an out of the box rifle can be. The Ruger PR in 6.5 Creedmoor should be capable of similar results looking at people's reports on UKV and elsewhere of early results.

I didn't think the nosler cc would have a high enough bc for 1k.ive tried them in my 6.5 06 and they were superb but only developed the load at 100yds for fun.still got quite a few left I intended to use up in my next 6.5 cal.140 nos cc.am surprised at that.the best load I found in my 6.5 06 was at a tad over 2800fps. Did have them up to near 2900.not accu enough though.thamks for info Laurie. Cheers swaro.

I didn't think the nosler cc would have a high enough bc for 1k.ive tried them in my 6.5 06 and they were superb but only developed the load at 100yds for fun.still got quite a few left I intended to use up in my next 6.5 cal.

That's the beauty of the 6.5s. Even a low BC example in relative terms at a modest MV in a 26-inch barrel rifle is way over the speed of sound at 1,000 yards and just above the transonic speed zone. Litz gives the 140 Nosler an average G7 BC of 0.281 which is near identical to that of the Berger 0.308 185gn BT LR 'Juggernaut'. Pointing likely improves that value by 3-4%, so say in this form 0.290.

Run that at 2,725 fps through the Berger Bullets / Litz ballistics solver and you get (in Diggle conditions 900 ft ASL at 50-deg F):

estimated 1,000 yard velocity .................... 1,396 fps (subsonic below ~1,126 fps; transonic between that and ~1.2 MACH or 1,351 fps)

Windage change per 1mph 90-deg variation ............. 7.7 inches

estimated scope come-up from 100 yard zero ........... 30.9-MOA

In the event, I needed exactly + 30-MOA on a scope checked out a long time ago by The Gun Pimp and found to have very small errors in its settings.

Of course, you'd struggle to win a major 1K F-Class comp against a 180gn 7mm Berger Hybrid at 3,000 fps from a WSM that is still travelling at 1,800 fps at this distance and only moves 5.1-inches per 1mph 90-deg wind change! But compared to those poor b*ggers struggling to make 26-inch barrel 308s work well at this distance ...........

Another good day at the Diggle

Darrel

Very much so ... especially as Bruce and Vince laid on such nice weather! (We have a pic I took from the butts mantlet after lunch up on Facebook and I'm getting all sorts of 'abuse' :) that it's had the Diggle weather Photoshopped out.)

http://www.facebook.com/TargetShooter/?fref=ts

Thanks for info again Laurie.i will definately give the nos cc ago at 1k on next rebarrel.ive recorded all data so it won't need much tweaking with a new barrel.too late in the day to start load testing again.1800 shot frew it now and til recently still shooting superbly.i took out a fox with it an hour ago.

Here ya go Laurie. I couldn't resist trying.i wanted a load for 1k this sunday.thought I would retest 140gr nos cc and 130gr vlds.ive upped my loads by 2grs as throat as worn and ive chased rifling.i upped both loads by 2grs and lengthened them 30 thou.top 140gr nos cc 5 shot group.bottom also 5 shot.harris bipod rear bag.a sock filled with sand.layed in a wet field.think either are good to go sunday ?.had to crop photo to make it less than 1.4 something ?.6.5 06 is smoking ?

post-12052-0-69327300-1460652942_thumb.jpg

Archived