Roe deer with 6,5 Grendel

This one might be of some interest.

The Grendel performed surprisingly well on the roe. Well, perhaps not considering it mimics the old anemic 6,5x55 loads that dropped game in the thousands.

However, I still think it's daft to build a Grendel unless you have external restriction. (I have the short Sako action with maximum cartridge length 59mm).

In an AR15 and when compared to a 223, the Grendel is a super cartridge. Put in a shortaction bolt, 6.5 Creedmoor, x47 or 260 is simply a better choice. I simply see no need to willfully build a rifle with a ballistic handicap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srOveJ4UnTA

Great video as always Thomas

I did think about building a 6.5 Grendel or 6.8 SPC just for muntjac roe and fox

But went with a 6mmbr in the end

Nice video, as usual I will add! Was that the Hornady 123g Amax you were using? I have just started trying them in my 6.5x47 as a dual purpose target game round so your results are encouraging

Nice video, as usual I will add! Was that the Hornady 123g Amax you were using? I have just started trying them in my 6.5x47 as a dual purpose target game round so your results are encouraging

As I commented on the video i have been having good success with the 123gn AMAX Bullet with RL15 and BR4's, deer drop on the spot with a good blood trail for tracking....gradually moving most of my rounds across to AMAX for all my calibres as i also range use and this saves re-zeroing every time i need to visit the range from conventional soft point bullets normally used.

i also range use and this saves re-zeroing every time i need to visit the range from conventional soft point bullets normally used.

That was my immediate reflection as well when I transited to Amax! I feel very confident using the same bullet for everything, know exactly what it is doing.

I use a Minox ZP5 scope.

The Grendel will likely last 6-8000 shots and I'm not keeping the rifle for that long.

In this rifle, max cartridge lenght is 59mm which leaves me with no other option than 6,5 Grendel - it is the most powerful cartridge that can be stuffed into the small Sako action.

If you have a normal short action, I can see no reason to handicap yourself. Any of the other 6,5mm offers higher velocity and more versatility.

The Grendel is perfectly capable, but why bother with it if you don't have to?

The Grendel will likely last 6-8000 shots and I'm not keeping the rifle for that long.

In this rifle, max cartridge lenght is 59mm which leaves me with no other option than 6,5 Grendel - it is the most powerful cartridge that can be stuffed into the small Sako action.

If you have a normal short action, I can see no reason to handicap yourself. Any of the other 6,5mm offers higher velocity and more versatility.

The Grendel is perfectly capable, but why bother with it if you don't have to?

Hi what might you change to when the time comes

Bah, not sure. It is not more than 3000 rds total (all calibres). It is more often closer to 2000 than 3000. I seem to get around 2400/2500 rds out of my 6,5x284's. They still shoot excellent out to 400'ish meters, but lack that extra for LR. A barrel seems to last 1,5 -2 seasons.

As always Thomas ,

Really enjoyed the video and thanks for sharing!!!

Regarding A-max - just proves what we know ;) , shame Hornady did market some of the A-max with " A-max Hunting " on the box then it would save us alot of head aches when its being discussed and used - just like the Berger VLD hunting has done!! ;)

All the best ,

Ray.

Just use the new ELD X. Amax branded as a hunting bullet or refer to the Hornady Reloading Manual/ The Complete Hornady Bullet Guide which classes the Amax 6mm and above as suitable hunting bullet for varmint and medium game whereas the SST is medium and large game.

The base configuration is called a boat tail. A-MAX bullets are generally for match shooters, with our new AMP jackets drawn to less than 0,0001" concentricity. This bullet is also excellent for hunting thin-skinned game.

Hornady also documents and publishes it's reliable expansion

I suspect the British AMAX issues are largely a manouver to dodge the wording in the Firearms Act which makes it an offense for target shooters to be in possesion of expanding bullets or "any ammunition which incorporates a missile designed or adapted to expand on impact;" and further "references to a missile’s expanding on impact include references to its deforming in any predictable manner on or immediately after impact."

But the killing of deer is found under the deer act? If I'm not mistaken Schedule 2 of the Deer Act 1991 prohibits the use of any ammunition, other than expanding, for the killing of deer and the authority on your firearms certificate should say so? The wording is

Any bullet for use in a rifle other than a soft-nosed or hollow-nosed bullet
The Deer Act 1996 (Scotland) adds
Any person who fails to comply with an order under subsection (1) above shall be guilty of an offence
Subsection one being: equipment which may lawfully be used in connection with killing or taking deer, and the circumstances in which any class of firearms, ammunition, sights or other equipment may be so used.
And finally, I believe the legal requirements to a bullet for roe in Scotland is: Expanding + =>50 grains weigt +V0 2450fps +1750 ft lbs muzzle energy.
So Expanding + 123gr + V0 2560 + 1770 ft lbs should be compliant?
I might be wrong, I'm not that familiar with British legislation.

Thomas, I have been using 103g GS Custom HV bullets exclusively in my 6.5x47 for the last few years. These bullets are very, very good in this calibre with 8.5 twist barrel (I mention it as the Gredal, 260 Rem and "47" are ballistically very similar), if you get the opportunity, id suggest trying some of these excellent (if expensive) bullets.

I get very small consistent grouping and excellent terminal ballistics at any distance on UK deer.

Thank you Thomas for your insight and reply!! ;)

Thank you too Ronin ;)

Ray.

Thomas, I have been using 103g GS Custom HV bullets exclusively in my 6.5x47 for the last few years. These bullets are very, very good in this calibre with 8.5 twist barrel (I mention it as the Gredal, 260 Rem and "47" are ballistically very similar), if you get the opportunity, id suggest trying some of these excellent (if expensive) bullets.

I get very small consistent grouping and excellent terminal ballistics at any distance on UK deer.

I have actually been looking at those bullets! There is also a local guy here who makes a similar bullets with a plastic tip. I've seen film of him shooting giant reds on NZ with his 6,5mm 85gr (?) bullet and they droppednlike a sack of potatoes.

In the interest of being a lawful shooter, the Grendel is now being sold. I didn't read the swedish legislation carefully enough and didn't catch the exemption for bird hunting in the mountains (one of three intended uses for my Grendel). So I am currently building a 221 Fireball as swedish legislation names this the largest cartridge I can use for the mountain birds and still use a scooter for transport. For deer I will return to my 6,5x284

Are you importing them from South Africa? If in the Uk or Europe how is supply etc?

Archived