Testers wanted for new Tikka T3 accessory

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i hope they are better than the stock mag #crap

without a shadow of doubt. i have gone through 3x 6 shot mags as the lips wear out and then the bolt slides over the cartridge. with the Black Mag there is now way it can happen anytime soon.

few are saying why is it so expensive. put aside all the machining costs and material costs. a T3 plastic mag is not available as a standard 10 shot. but, if it was how much would it be, bare in mind the 6 shot is £60. how long would it last with the style of shooting that the 10 shot mags are designed for. im in for £180 for the three that i have just binned. 4 years old. yes, they saw a lot of rounds but for the money, they have not outlasted the barrel on the rifle.

Still expensive?

ok, lets bring in the manufacturing of both mags.

one is machined from two pieces of solid aluminium billet and one piece of polymer. then case hardened plus cetakote. then spring added and the follower, then bolted together. £125

other one is injection moulded, a base, top and follower. the sprue is snapped off. spring dropped in bottom half and follower sitting on top. the top half is snap shut onto the bottom half. £60

so, expensive, really? get what you pay for in this instance i think.

i was lucky enough to have one of the early ones to run around the range with, i found that the ones that did question the cost were all the guys the had to have work done on their tikkas to accept an AI mag. a few couldn't remember how much they paid for the work to be done. once you key in the factor of not having to have a new bottom plate, plus the machining to the stock for new bottom metal, and then the cost of the mag. it really is a no-brainer. i was given the option of paying for the mag or sending it back, i was trying to pay for it within 48 hours.it is that good.

i hope they are better than the stock mag #crap

Could you please explain to me why the "stock mag" of a plastic Tikka T3 is "crap"? Granted, the feel isn't great. But having used them on and off for 10 years, I've never had a single fault (In .223/.243 anyhow). I have 3 and all work fine? I've even bought a standard "converted" mag from the previous owner. It cycles rounds at normal length perfectly. To the max I've used with 75 A-Max, which is 63.2mm or 2.56" (Give or take a thou or mil) total length. No probs at all.

Just to add, I'm not try to stir up 5hite, it's a genuine question.

Cheers.

Chaz.

It's a shame I couldn't have tried my converted mag against the new mags being made. It would have been a good comparison. My own doing, should have opened my gob a bit sooner :lol: ....

Just to add, that the price of the new mags, obviously reflects the time and effort in R&D.... And even though I've never handled one, they look, and no doubt feel the dogs dangles! And you have to take on board that it's British/English R&D that's gone into making such quality items, not China.....

Cheers

Chaz.

The lack of response says enough...

I know the question wasn't aimed at me, but I'll add my thoughts on why exmarksman9870 may have said that if I may?

Although the polymer T3 mags are light and allow for beautifully smooth feeding when new, the feed lips are soft and wear rather quickly. This wear occurs at the front of the feed lips allowing the first round to point upwards in the magazine and prevents the bolt from picking it up properly. The standard T3 mag, in .223 at least, also has an unnecessarily large back spacer, preventing you from loading anywhere near the lands, or from using heavier 77gr or 80gr projectiles adequately.

This isn't something you'd probably notice if just used for stalking / foxing, but with regular range use I've worn out a polymer T3 mag in 6 months. A friend of mine wore his out in just 3 months and all 3 of our club T3s have the same issue. I will continue to use a polymer mag for foxing (quieter/lighter/smoother), but for range and competition use I'll be exclusively using the new Black Rifle 10 round mag.

I know the question wasn't aimed at me, but I'll add my thoughts on why exmarksman9870 may have said that if I may?

Although the polymer T3 mags are light and allow for beautifully smooth feeding when new, the feed lips are soft and wear rather quickly. This wear occurs at the front of the feed lips allowing the first round to point upwards in the magazine and prevents the bolt from picking it up properly. The standard T3 mag, in .223 at least, also has an unnecessarily large back spacer, preventing you from loading anywhere near the lands, or from using heavier 77gr or 80gr projectiles adequately.

This isn't something you'd probably notice if just used for stalking / foxing, but with regular range use I've worn out a polymer T3 mag in 6 months. A friend of mine wore his out in just 3 months and all 3 of our club T3s have the same issue. I will continue to use a polymer mag for foxing (quieter/lighter/smoother), but for range and competition use I'll be exclusively using the new Black Rifle 10 round mag.

Now I see. I don't fire that many rounds hence no problems so far..... Thanks for replying SpinDrift. As I say I'm not knocking them at all. They look very nice indeed! And you get what you pay for. And in this case, you get top quality kit made in this country. Which can only be a good thing!

Cheers.

Chaz.

I cant wait for the .243/.308 10 round mags to be out!

Well the design is due to finish on these in the next two weeks with manufacturing of the first prototypes at the beginning of August. I'm guessing that they'll be in production around the end of September.

So we've been investigating some new coating options as we had lots of feedback from customers about the finish of our magazines. There seemed to be a 50/50 split between those liking the machining and natural hard anodised colour and those wanting a plain black mag. This new finish combines a bead blasting, a black dye stage and PTFE impregnation to give a smooth internal finish and a traditional "military" anodised look. Also shown is the choice of black or stainless fixings.

We'll continue to do the natural look as well, but this new finish is likely to be available in greater numbers albeit at a slightly higher price point.

IMG_0194_zpstiuebbqm.jpg

Hi These look nice. Just purchased t3 laminate in .223. Only thing that disappoints is the plastic mag,I had a tikka 595 22-50 before although the mag was plastic it was more sturdy.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

We're a little bit behind on the manufacturing, but not long to wait until this next batch of .223 magazines hit the shops.

Our .308 design is complete now and we'll be producing the prototypes this month. As before we'll be looking for testers, so if you have a .243/.308 T3 or T3x with factory bottom metal drop me a line if you'd like to be considered.

IMG_0397_zpsmqv22gkz.jpg

We're a little bit behind on the manufacturing, but not long to wait until this next batch of .223 magazines hit the shops.

Our .308 design is complete now and we'll be producing the prototypes this month. As before we'll be looking for testers, so if you have a .243/.308 T3 or T3x with factory bottom metal drop me a line if you'd like to be considered.

IMG_0397_zpsmqv22gkz.jpg

Your mail box is full!

Would be happy to test a 243 size mag.

IMG_0397_zpsmqv22gkz.jpg

+ 1 for testing a .243 magazine!

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am considering buying one as my standard plastic .223 mag does not function

all the time.

At some occasions the bolt does not feed a new round in the chamber which can

be quite annoying.

if you need a tester on the other side of the channel ( i live in holland ) i am

happy to apply.

I use the tikka on the range and for hunting

Archived