Couple Of Articles Regarding Mil, Millirad and Mil-Dots

TattooedGun

On 7/18/2021 at 3:02 PM, Mattnall said:

This is because Mils is not short for milliradians. There are 2π radians in a circle or roughly 6283 milliradians.

Mils were a military approximation to the milliradians and from what I've heard the west/allies? went with 6400 because it is easily divisible for standard compass points but the Russians and some others went with 6000 as a more rounded figure.

It gets confusing when people keep calling them milliradians or worse still, mil-rads.

They'll be calling 'bullets', 'heads' soon and if enough people doeventually it'll become right.😉

Why get confused?  The mil is just a rounded milliradian, approx 2% difference.  It's not confusing.  The principle of ranging is based on milliradian subtension.  I'd rather explain what a milliradian is and how derived than just simplistic 1cm at 100m etc.  I'm fed up of hearing "it's metric".  It's dimensionless but just happens to be easy to do the maths with powers of 10.  One mil or milliradian is 1yd at a 1000 yds (approx) or 1 ft at 1000ft.....

I will have to admit to agreeing re "heads" - but it does help reduce confusion with lay-persons who equate bullet with a round of ammunition.