410 Hush on pigeons

Nice couple of hours yesterday with a good friend. Both using 410, single shot hushpower shotguns. only one shooting at a time. wind and down pours made for a muddy day with very tricky birds for a 12g with 2 shots but a 410 single shot, well, let's just say my friend is a better shot that i.

45 birds down but not all picked up as lost in hedges.

Cheers Gunner for the company and giggles, as always, a pleasure to shoot with and well worth the soaking and mud

IMG_20160220_154339_zpsxmtdod09.jpg

All the best

PHIL

No the pleasure was all mine :D , it was a joy to use the 410s , as you said it wet at times but so much fun . We had some fantastic sporting shot on the woodies out to around 25 maybe 30 yard . Some of the misses were at really close range , birds jinking etc . Thats what makes it challenging , and getting used to these little shotguns . I was actually having difficulty swinging thru the birds due to lack of weight in the gun . We used 3" magnums 18 gram load of # 7shot . They produced nice clean kills , altho i wouldnt go past 30 yard the patterns too sparse . These shells wearnt even subsonic and to my ears were about half the bang of a 12 gauge . Ill be using them again . We did have company in the hide from phils spaniel picking up very well . We also had a lone pigeon 'winged' walk straight from the pattern straight up to the hide , phil lifted the net up he strolled straight in for phil to grab and quickly dispatch only for us both burst into laughter - iv never had that , but hhave had them fall in to the hide after being shot . So all this fun i must say again thanks phil - couldn't of done this a couple of months ago due to a pretty bad lower back injury , which is almost back to normal ! Cant wait for more sporting pigeon soon ....

Ps- forgot to mention we had a rotary out and 2x flappers , on a 9 acre field which hadn't been shot at all , houses were about 300 yard away , however no one realized we were there i dont think , if we used 12 gauge , i bet we would of had complaints - phils had them before here . And i bet the small flocks would of been in the next country had we used 12 gauge - atb ....

Looks like excellent results for a couple of hours work. I do like the .410 however you do need to be very precise with your shot or have them coming in nice and close (Or both if it is me shooting!)

Archived