Brexit? A quick poll

brown dog

Brexit - Yes or No?  

230 members have voted

1. 1. Should UK leave the EU?

• Yes - Leave
    • No - Stay in

Children under 5 treated for the effects of tear gas deployed at the UK border fence.

Very rarely am I ashamed to be British,and European.

Umm. Greek fence?

Tear gas just makes people a bit uncomfy and gets them to sod off. Dry your eyes. (Pun!)

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Children under 5 treated for the effects of tear gas deployed at the UK border fence.

Why would that make you ashamed to be British? Presumably the children were in the presence of their parents. If the parents chose to put their children in a position where they were likely to be affected by tear gas, it's the parents problem. Being British - or otherwise - has nothing to do with it.

Why would that make you ashamed to be British? Presumably the children were in the presence of their parents. If the parents chose to put their children in a position where they were likely to be affected by tear gas, it's the parents problem. Being British - or otherwise - has nothing to do with it.

Amen.

Also why would the immigrants try to reach Europe/Britain when there are plenty of rich Arab states in the Middle East? Because we are seen to be a country of just/decent/democratic people which is something to be proud of, however those freedoms will be undermined if we allow mass uncontrolled immigration.

I don't blame Macedonia for protecting its borders, how on earth do they know who they are letting in?

Macedonia-Greece border too,Matt.

I was refering to the use of tear gas at Calais/the Jungle,widely reported with video on TVnews and the press.

That is essentially a UK fence,so the UK has responsibility,as does my other favourite European democracy,France.

It is precisely because the UK does well on decency, that this lapse affected me.

There are unaccompanied children there who probably have a legal right to join family inthe UK.

Jude Law visited the camp,before this flare up,and his video makes the case for the children.He was affected too,but his meassage is very clear.

To date some 100,000 British citizens have petitioned the UK Government on behalf of the children.

That is quite without prejudice as to the long term UK solution-make Syria (etc) safe so that the refugees do not wish to migrate. The humanitarian request is to minimise suffering meanwhile,especialy in children.

That is more like the best of british in action.

Jude Law visited the camp,before this flare up...

Ah, actors: is there nothing that they don't know?

I think, however, that you mean "Before the residents of the jungle assaulted and robbed Jude Law's security team".

Why our all-knowing friend decided that he needed a "security team" in order to visit people for whom he was making a plea, there's the question...

maximus otter

Not by the unaccompanied,or indeed any ,children. That was the focus,and still is.Celebrities have no especially insight-but they can get in,and more effectively raise awareness. I doubt that we'll ge any 'gas the kids' promotions though. Need any more be said?

The plight of the unaccompanied minors is without doubt a good headline and grabs attention. But filter out those who only claim to be under 18 and those that patently could not have managed such a journey "unaccompanied" and the remaining number is I would expect small. The french have repeatedly offered to process asylum claims in france which is refused.

I live in east kent, the burden and social impact locally due to migration both legal and otherwise is huge, there are schools that are shunned by english parents and areas polish migrants regard as too dangerous and undesirable as a result of migration.

The burden placed on the county council dealing with unaccompanied minors is huge and no doubt in time there will be claims from family members wishing to join their kin here.

I drive to Bisley about once a fortnight and I'll expect to see a small group of migrants walking on the hard shoulder of the M2/M20/M26/M25 or being held by the authorities awaiting pick up one journey in 4, it really is that common. large numbers are entering the UK illegally.

Until such time as there is a truly honest debate as to the cost to the UK both financially ( in full) and socially then I support the current stance. Immigration will not be discussed by the authorities. My local council has imposed " selective licensing" ( controls on landlords) of the grounds they could do so the only 1 ignored in the consultation was immigration. I would invite the 100,000 petitioners to come and live in the area, I would suspect its not the multicultural wonderland of their dreams neither I would again suspect would many be willing to pauper themselves to give support beyond an online click.

Change is to be embraced but the rate of change needs to be manageable.

I think, however, that you mean "Before the residents of the jungle assaulted and robbed Jude Law's security team".

Why our all-knowing friend decided that he needed a "security team" in order to visit people for whom he was making a plea, there's the question...

Ha! (Laughing through the tears!). The naive and un -worldy determination to pretend these people have the same value sets as us just makes me want to weep.

Macedonia-Greece border too,Matt.

I was refering to the use of tear gas at Calais/the Jungle,widely reported with video on TVnews and the press.

That is essentially a UK fence,so the UK has responsibility,as does my other favourite European democracy,France.

It is precisely because the UK does well on decency, that this lapse affected me.

There are unaccompanied children there who probably have a legal right to join family inthe UK.

Jude Law visited the camp,before this flare up,and his video makes the case for the children.He was affected too,but his meassage is very clear.

To date some 100,000 British citizens have petitioned the UK Government on behalf of the children.

That is quite without prejudice as to the long term UK solution-make Syria (etc) safe so that the refugees do not wish to migrate. The humanitarian request is to minimise suffering meanwhile,especialy in children.

That is more like the best of british in action.

Would the French or any other EU country not look after these children if they presented themselves to the authorities ? I think they would then be obliged to , a lot of the families the kids are trying to reach in the UK are here illegally so I don't believe the kids have a right to join then , if their families were legally in the UK and genuinely concerned they would be on a ferry to Calais to collect/join them .

They are economic migrants who want our money, End of.

2/3 rds of them are illiterate even in their own languages, and have been sold the myth of a UK with its streets paved with gold. That's why they pass through EU country after EU country in order to get to us.

Because of educational and "cultural" issues a large proportion of them will never get legal jobs here in the UK. They will be forced into debt bondage, crime and the black economy in order to survive.

Our taxes will rocket to support them and mitigate their ill effects, such as classrooms where 30 languages are spoken, the high proportion of congenital health problems due to centuries of cousin/cousin inbreeding, etc.

We need to control our own borders, and the only way to do that is to leave the EUSSR.

maximus otter

They are economic migrants who want our money, End of.

2/3 rds of them are illiterate even in their own languages, and have been sold the myth of a UK with its streets paved with gold. That's why they pass through EU country after EU country in order to get to us.

Because of educational and "cultural" issues a large proportion of them will never get legal jobs here in the UK. They will be forced into debt bondage, crime and the black economy in order to survive.

Our taxes will rocket to support them and mitigate their ill effects, such as classrooms where 30 languages are spoken, the high proportion of congenital health problems due to centuries of cousin/cousin inbreeding, etc.

We need to control our own borders, and the only way to do that is to leave the EUSSR.

maximus otter

Why do we as a nation continue down this road ? Surely helping them to secure a better future in their own country would be more of a sound option than the way it is getting dealt with now.

We live on a small Island and were it a Guest house not only would all the rooms be taken but the corridors as well . So my advice to all these ' Limp wristed do gooders ' is WE ARE FULL !

They all hang around the French ports causing trouble and all claiming they want to escape death and persecution from their homeland which in most cases is utter tosh ..... Well Hello , Your in France now and your lives are no longer under threat unless you tie yourself to the underside of a lorry ! :angry:

OSOK

The issue of 'celebrities' or even Church leaders for that matter sticking their 'two pennies worth' in is always a difficult one.

They are entitled to their opinion like any one of us

However their voices have a reach and weight as a result of their celebrity status

The problem for me is that greater import is attached to their opinions as a result of fame in an utterly unrelated matter.

Media lap it up because they are in the business of sensation

I for one couldn't care a jot what Jude Law's opinion is on this - it is just not relevant or at least no more relevant than the bloke down the pub

If I understand the EU rules on immigration, they (the migrants) should be registered and only claim asylum in the first EU country that they enter. Retina scans, fingerprints etc are taken and recorded so if that if an immigrant is found in another country they can be recognised and deported back to that country of origin.

Many of our EU cousins don't bother with the procedure, knowing that when the migrants are stopped they cannot be traced back to the country which they initially entered and thus they become someone else's problem.

Mon 29 Feb

I woke up,smelled the coffee,had my last Swiss choc.

Soon,there was another smell.

Something is now rotten in our sovereign state.

Set aside the political complexities.

Tear gas used on children in the UK for years !! Oh but they are only Paddies so no worries !!

Calais seems less dramatic today,all round.

I don't mean to hijack this thread,but since I admitted disappointment in one aspect of UK policy, here is an insight into what is truly impressive in one Briton. I saw Harry Parker interviewed tonight-a young man we can be proud of.

Harry Parker: "Anatomy of a Soldier"

g

Here's an interesting thought on Brexit - not mine I hasten to add - hope you'll read and digest and that our Global Moderator will moderate!

www.scottishreview.net/RDKernohan25a.html

Cameron has achieved precisely nothing. Any 'agreement' that he thinks might have been reached will be worthless, because by the time anything is implemented, the goalposts will have moved again. It's time to get OUT, and take control of our country again. It won't make a scrap of difference to our trading partners - they need us a lot more than we need them.

Well said that man, spot on.

Well said that man, spot on.

I agree that the future might change-no one can predict with certainty-the city and CBI might have an edge-and it is not "out".

What exactly is the advantage of the Norway deal- 2/3 of the membership price just to deliver at the trades door, round the back-no favours.. and don't assume a next delivery-cancelled anytime.

Spot on.....spot off! I am not a conservative nor a Cameron man,but he has achieved a better deal than most antis can bring themselves to acknowledge.

Why does the EU need us more than we need them-non sense in economic terms,but I agree the EU is much the better if UK is in,and a stronger EU is

Now,just what is the case against-spell it out,in actual /factual detail, not "get out/well said that man' -that's not good enough.

The opposite is just as easy said,and deserves the same disregard.

gbal

What I object to is the pro european sound bites coming out of No 10 (which the UK taxpayer has funded) without the same considerations given to any other perspective which stinks of the big brother "we know whats best for you" attitude

I think the government is in for a rude awakeing as to how strong the exit vote will be despite the negative fear campaign run by Cameron

Archived