Right bolt left port for F class

Dr.T.

RBLP (and dual port) actions seem to be more popular in benchrest rifles than F-class, and I expect this has something to do with faster reloading.

Is there any reason why you would NOT want to shoot RBLP for F class (besides personal preference)? Some forum threads have suggested that RBLP disturbs your position more when shooting prone, and that there's an increased risk of a face full of gas if something goes wrong (presumably favoring the face of your shooting partner).

I'd be really interested to hear people's thoughts - preferably from those who actually use a RBLP action!

Many thanks.

I shoot both layouts in BR and F-Class / FTR. RBLP is definitely an advantage in BR speeding up the reload-shoot cycle. In F, it's purely a matter of familiarity and preference. I marginally prefer left port as it keeps the ammo box out of the way of the Weather Writer and the plot plus partner's scorecard making it a little easier to write on them.

Thank you both for your fast replies - your thoughts are much appreciated!

Does this mean that the "port next to your face" issue isn't much of a *real world* safety concern after all?

Does this mean that the "port next to your face" issue isn't much of a *real world* safety concern after all?

Only if you're considering an SA80 or other bullpup layout BR / F-Class set-up. :)

Any action that has a bolt body smaller in diameter than the lug area will let gas and brass fragments back along the action in the event of a blown primer/head seperation. Full diameter bolts avoid this as the path is effectively blocked by the bolt body. Compare a Barnard (3 lug full bolt) with a Stolle or Bat 2 lug, when the bolt is locked the 2 lug has the lugs at 12 and 6 o'clock with a bloody great slot each side that will channel gas and dirt backwards. On the Barnard gas will go rearward past the lugs but gets stopped at the front of the bolt body and following the path of least resistance then goes out the gas escape hole in the side of the action. Some 2 lug actions also have a hole just rearwards of the barrel but it's a lot smaller than the slots so it's likely most of the gas will continue to travel rearwards to an ejection port ( next to your face)

I have a RBLP on my Barnard and much prefer it to my Tikka RBRP , as per Laurie , I can keep the ammo box on left and weather writer on the right, when I shoot with the Tikka everything is to the right , can get cluttered ,

Hi Craig

How are you doing ?

I have both in my Barnard P f class rifles. The second was left port more by luck as this was the only option available when building the rifle. I agree with Laurie that I find it much better not cluttering all my gear on my right side when shooting. You can hold your set up more easily. It seems to give me more time between shots and therefore more comfortable and better to hold concentration. Works for me !

Cheers

Tony

Archived