How far with a T3 Varmint .223

pengo

Good evening all.

I have a Tikka T3 .223 with a 1:8 twist, 20" varmint barrel.

I am using SMK 69g with Ramshot TAC - 23.1gn.

Can anybody give me an idea of whether or not I can expect this set up to be accurate for 600yd target shooting, please?

Many thanks in advance. Paul

The rifle should be capable but I think you'd need to change the load but more experienced long range shooters can confirm if I'm right on that.

I use 80gn Berger VLD with 24.5gn of N140 (slightly compressed) in my 1:8 T3.

I don't shoot competitions as the nearest 600yd range to my club is a very expensive to book MoD range but on the few occasions we do go there, I get sub MOA groups if I do my part.

The rifle should be capable but I think you'd need to change the load but more experienced long range shooters can confirm if I'm right on that.

I use 80gn Berger VLD with 24.5gn of N140 (slightly compressed) in my 1:8 T3.

I don't shoot competitions as the nearest 600yd range to my club is a very expensive to book MoD range but on the few occasions we do go there, I get sub MOA groups if I do my part.

Thank you for that.

I have got some N140 and also some 77gn SMK and 80gn Noslers, so I can at least feel comfortable knowing I can achieve similar results as you, if I do my bit.

Much appreciated.

Paul

You'll hit a 500/600 yard standard NRA target no problems if your zeroing is OK. The bullets will be blown around more than from many other cartridges - around 40% greater windage needed than a 308 from an equivalent length barrel with a decent 155gn load. On reasonable days, I used to shoot in the high 90s with 69s on NRA targets many years ago. (The smaller F-Class target is harder and you'd drop a lot more points in any normal conditions, but you'd still find the 'black'.)

The CSR guys happilly 'kill' Fig 11s with ballistically equivalent ammo (62gn M855 pattern GGG and similar) at this distance.

When I first got a 223 getting on for 20 years ago, I regularly used it, (a Remington 700VS and its 26-inch 1 in 12" twist barrel), out to this distance with the 52gn AMAX at what I now know must have been mild loads. I'd get regularly blown from the two-ring at 3 o'clock to the same place at 9 o'clock and vice versa, but rarely got a 'miss'.

Depending on how the Tikka is throated, you may be able to use 80s, or may not. The various 77s are designed to be used at or close to the 223's nominal 2.26" COAL, but the 75gn AMAX and the various 80s are designed to be loaded to longer COALs at 2.4" and above and the chamber throat has to be such to accomodate this.

Have fun!

Archived