Foreend hold

6.5 shooter

I am puzzled by this article.My understanding has always been that the more a person touches(interacts) with a rifle. the more variation is likely to be introduced. If resting is not possible, then the classic prone positions with a single point sling are likely to produce the best results. Witness the Olympic disciplines. If you can rest, then you should rest, front and back if possible, as long as you are consistent in how you interact with the rifle. The idea of a firm forward hand hold, with a front rest, bipod or whatever strikes me as not sensible. The recoil action depends on the trigger hand hold(if any) and the shoulder pressure(if any). If the latter two are consistent , then the fall of shot will not be affected by the person. Adding a firm grip to the fore end just adds another variable?

I am puzzled by this article.My understanding has always been that the more a person touches(interacts) with a rifle. the more variation is likely to be introduced. If resting is not possible, then the classic prone positions with a single point sling are likely to produce the best results. Witness the Olympic disciplines. If you can rest, then you should rest, front and back if possible, as long as you are consistent in how you interact with the rifle. The idea of a firm forward hand hold, with a front rest, bipod or whatever strikes me as not sensible. The recoil action depends on the trigger hand hold(if any) and the shoulder pressure(if any). If the latter two are consistent , then the fall of shot will not be affected by the person. Adding a firm grip to the fore end just adds another variable?

I think this depends on your rifle and what you plan to do with it.

My experience is quite limited, and my target-shooting skills are indifferent - but here goes...

1. I think long- or heavy-barrelled rifles might lend themselves better to the 'look Mum - no forend grip!' method than sporting rifles - perhaps particularly if you've got the stock gripped between cheek, shoulder and rear-bag.

2. If you're practising for sporting purposes, then my feeling is that your zero should work from all possible positions - prone off a bipod or off elbows, standing freehand or off sticks, or rested against a tree, sitting, whatever. As far as I can see, the only way to do that is to offer your rifle as nearly as you can the same amout of control in all those positions.

That doesn't mean not taking enough support off sticks/bipod/tree-branch or whatever, but it does mean neither hauling the rifle down onto the bipod by the forend, nor allowing the front of the rifle to bounce free on recoil. Rather, the rifle should get the same amount of grip in as nearly the same way as possible whatever your position and whatever your rest (if any).

The link in the OP is interesting in many ways, but particularly for the suggestion that the no-forend-grip method does not necessarily lead to better shooting, but is easier to teach/learn.

Archived