Do Remington make a decent rifle ?

My 1980's BDL Varmint Special will shoot 1/2MOA all day every day, and sometimes better, even in its original woodwork.

Cost me 70 quid....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So its not an out of the box Remy ? modded trigger and a new stock.

For some people a Sako might suit better as it has the better image and is really a lovely rifle.

saying that, the plastic stock is only a tiny bit better than the remmy plastic stock but still cr#p

Wooden stock would need bedding just the same as a remmy wooden stock.

In the end they will shoot similar.

When it comes to the point where one would like to improve the rifle with things like a different mag system, stocks, triggers or safety the

T3 and Remmy would be a much better choice.

edi

My first centrefire rifle was a Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308. Box stock except that the trigger was fettled by Baldie when he still worked at "another place", and that it now lives in a Hogue overmoulded stock.

It still resides in my gun cabinet, and with a thrown-together handload that I've never bothered to fiddle with, it'll group ½ to ¾ MOA off the bench all day.

There is nothing, repeat nothing, wrong with Remington 700s.

maximus otter

Except their triggers.....obviously?

700 owner VLS .223; now restocked & re-triggered after Remington messed with it after the recall, but shot .2moa in the factory stock with a Timney CE.

I own a remmi pss in .223 ...i love it for its rugged build and accuracy straight out of the box...i put 60 grain black hills ammo through it for charlie control etc...its never missed a beat and if needed i wouldnt have any quelms about having another one...Hugh.

Do the bolt handles still fall off ?

Only one I've ever seen fail was aftermarket modified.....and it failed where it'd been turned down to accept an enlarged handle. I've never seen nor heard of a Remington bolt handle 'falling' off.

I guess you don't like Remingtons? Your thread, and on going replies come across as very petty.

Only one I've ever seen fail was aftermarket modified.....and it failed where it'd been turned down to accept an enlarged handle. I've never seen nor heard of a Remington bolt handle 'falling' off.

I guess you don't like Remingtons? Your thread, and on going replies come across as very petty.

My views on them are/were neutral , I've heard a few people slag and belittle Remington's on our local range , just wanted to see what people here think.

Oh ,Re bolts http://lmgtfy.com/?q=remington+700+broken+bolt+handle

Interesting.....

Sadly googling a specific problem doesn't really give an idea of how common a problem it is. It just tells you that for some people, it has happened.

And oddly, in the images section....searching for broken Remington bolts.....there's as many non remingtons and modified ones there.

Maybe its just a bolt action thing?

For being neutral, you're being very negative about them. Go buy one, own it for a period of time and see whether or not it's crap. Mine cost me 70 quid and shoots very, very well for me. No bits have fallen off, and the factory trigger has been satisfactory(its an older model...). Is it as good as other people's AI, or custom actioned specials? Not at all.....but why would you ever expect it to be at the differing price points? I'd suggest the people telling you that they are crap have either had a total lemon, which will happen with any mass produced item, or have spent much more on something different, or in their view better.

Mine shoots so well, my next rifle will be built on another Remington action.

Interesting.....

Sadly googling a specific problem doesn't really give an idea of how common a problem it is. It just tells you that for some people, it has happened.

And oddly, in the images section....searching for broken Remington bolts.....there's as many non remingtons and modified ones there.

Maybe its just a bolt action thing?

For being neutral, you're being very negative about them. Go buy one, own it for a period of time and see whether or not it's crap. Mine cost me 70 quid and shoots very, very well for me. No bits have fallen off, and the factory trigger has been satisfactory(its an older model...). Is it as good as other people's AI, or custom actioned specials? Not at all.....but why would you ever expect it to be at the differing price points? I'd suggest the people telling you that they are crap have either had a total lemon, which will happen with any mass produced item, or have spent much more on something different, or in their view better.

Mine shoots so well, my next rifle will be built on another Remington action.

Did you really say " my next rifle will be built on another Remington action" ? so not an out the box .2moa :) ? , as Ive said before I`m not questioning the design , just the build quality.

Yes I did say it.

Would you like to know why?

Because Remington, from the factory, don't offer the calibre I'm looking to have it chambered in. So the easy option is to pick up a cheap 700 SA for it's action/bolt, and have it re barrelled locally.

If you for a minute think that any mass produced out of the box rifle should shoot .2MOA, or expect it to....you're mental. And the folk telling you they are crap because they don't, are also mental.

Yes I did say it.

Would you like to know why?

Because Remington, from the factory, don't offer the calibre I'm looking to have it chambered in. So the easy option is to pick up a cheap 700 SA for it's action/bolt, and have it re barrelled locally.

If you for a minute think that any mass produced out of the box rifle should shoot .2MOA, or expect it to....you're mental. And the folk telling you they are crap because they don't, are also mental.

Oh dear.

Oh dear.

Constructive stuff.

Given your Remington hating agenda.....

What do you expect of a 'decent' out of the box rifle?

And what 'decent' out of the box rifle do you use?

*quickly edited for fat fingers

So by that standard, most of the posters, if not all in this thread have a Remington that is decent.....out of the box?

Question answered I guess?

Or do you have any other 'Remington 700 problems' you've googled up to throw in? ;)

So by that standard, most of the posters, if not all in this thread have a Remington that is decent.....out of the box?

Question answered I guess?

Or do you have any other 'Remington 700 problems' you've googled up to throw in? ;)

I dont have the time to post them all :)

You've wasted plenty of time so far, why not carry on?

Don't be disheartened that not many people are sharing your views.....

As said in post 31in this thread I own a PSS in .223...I have an open slot for a .243 for deer and range use etc...I intend to get a SPS varmint and change the stock to a hogue precision stock the same as the one on the PSS...the stock on the SPS is known to be suspect in some peoples eyes etc...the action and barrel however are the same as the one in the PSS etc..I hope in the end to have two matching rifles but with different calibres...I intend to match the mod and bipod as well but not the scopes as the rifles will be used in different ways....apart from the danger of taking the wrong ammo out with the rifle I intend to use I will have two rifles that im happy with...I'd love 2 AI AXs but I can't afford it so I'll use my remmies with pride and if people don't like it or think I'm mad you're are entitled to your opinion but its my nut behind the butt...Hugh

As said in post 31in this thread I own a PSS in .223...I have an open slot for a .243 for deer and range use etc...I intend to get a SPS varmint and change the stock to a hogue precision stock the same as the one on the PSS...the stock on the SPS is known to be suspect in some peoples eyes etc...the action and barrel however are the same as the one in the PSS etc..I hope in the end to have two matching rifles but with different calibres...I intend to match the mod and bipod as well but not the scopes as the rifles will be used in different ways....apart from the danger of taking the wrong ammo out with the rifle I intend to use I will have two rifles that im happy with...I'd love 2 AI AXs but I can't afford it so I'll use my remmies with pride and if people don't like it or think I'm mad you're are entitled to your opinion but its my nut behind the butt...Hugh

Your PSS might have been restocked (you don't say), but the standard PSS stock was an HS Precision with an aluminium bedding block and a heavy beaver tail fore end. A cracking stock so much so that I liked my .223 PSS (straight out the box) so much I acquired a 2nd hand stock for my 80's 700 bdl varmint special. Not because there was anything wrong with the walnut stock, but because I wanted an all weather maintenance free stock for out in the field.

Your PSS might have been restocked (you don't say), but the standard PSS stock was an HS Precision with an aluminium bedding block and a heavy beaver tail fore end. A cracking stock so much so that I liked my .223 PSS (straight out the box) so much I acquired a 2nd hand stock for my 80's 700 bdl varmint special. Not because there was anything wrong with the walnut stock, but because I wanted an all weather maintenance free stock for out in the field.

The stock is an original stock as you described mike..A great stock that doubles up as a fence post its that tough and strong..Hugh...

I own mostly remingtons, a .220 swift vssf , a .243 pss and a .308 pss , all are good rifles, shoot very well. Im a fan of the pss models, good hs stocks as stated, not to be compared with sps stocks or crap hogue overmold rubbish they use on some of the cheaper models, each to there own, but i have yet to be let down by my remmys! Cheers.

i have owned three rem 700 .my first was 223 pss great rifle couldn't fault it at all and still own the action which is now in 243

then had a 17 fire ball which went back after two days due to a poorly machined chamber its replacement wouldn't group for toffee, tried many loads bullets and powders even left it with riflesmith for a month and still no joy pulled barrel in the end and put a 204 barrel on which i still own .would i buy a out of the box remington now ,not bloody likely never touch one again

Archived