FAC Shotgun Wordage -

Practical shotgun competitions & vermin control should cover all , PS should allow you to get solid slugs where as vermin may not., you may get asked what species of vermin you intend to shoot.

Practical shotgun competitions & vermin control should cover all , PS should allow you to get solid slugs where as vermin may not., you may get asked what species of vermin you intend to shoot.

Do the rules / wording distinguish between 'tube mag' and detachable box mags? -

Do the rules / wording distinguish between 'tube mag' and detachable box mags? -

Dont know about how it is now or how your Policedo it , I have had a sect 1 shotgun and magazines were not mentioned.

Specify a multi shot shotgun for shooting pest species under general licence, standby however for a request of extra letters of authority if it's anything like Scotland........ As for targets/practical I cannot advise.

It's also worth remembering that it isn't legal to shoot wildfowl/game with a multi shot even if you only load two squibs into it.

We are both in Wiltshire and this is what mine says (I also have separate conditions for target and clays for the 12 bore). I have paraphrased as they have included a .22RF and moderator in the same condition:

'The 12 bore Section 1 Shot Gun and ammunition may also be used for VERMIN CONTROL and any other lawful quarry on land over which the holder has lawful authority to shoot.'

Multi shot/game/wildfowl/even with two squibs loaded...?

Has the law changed,or is it different in Scotland?

BASC "The shotgun safety code of practice" : "It is an offence to shoot wildfowl or game with a self loading shotgun having a magazine capacity of more than two cartridges."

Any auto may not be welcome or allowed,on many game shoots,of course,and can cause offense,but is this sanctioned by the law,as a "legal offence"? I most certainly would not want to take my browning double auto,even though it seems BASC 'legal',having a mag capacity of only one (with a cartridge also chambered).

Multi shot/game/wildfowl/even with two squibs loaded...?

Has the law changed,or is it different in Scotland?

BASC "The shotgun safety code of practice" : "It is an offence to shoot wildfowl or game with a self loading shotgun having a magazine capacity of more than two cartridges."

Any auto may not be welcome or allowed,on many game shoots,of course,and can cause offense,but is this sanctioned by the law,as a "legal offence"? I most certainly would not want to take my browning double auto,even though it seems BASC 'legal',having a mag capacity of only one (with a cartridge also chambered).

My understanding is that as it's on a section 1 certificate you are bound by the wording in said certificate ie vermin/pests under general licence which doesn't make sense as you could go down the line of only loading one or two into the magazine for game, I'll happily stand corrected if I'm wrong.

There is no problem with the standard auto on a shotgun certificate for shooting game as far as I'm aware.

Mick-sorry,it may be my fault- I took 'multi shot' to be 'more than 2 shots',whereas you may well be meaning by 'multi shot' a Section 1 shotgun,with a magazine capacity of more than 2 cartridges (and therefore capable of firing more than three shots (ie multi) without reloading.

g

LIMIT THE WAY YOU DESCRIBE IT OTHER WISE THE POLICE CAN BE AS SPECIFIC AS YOU .

MULTI SHOT SHOTGUN FOR PEST AND VERMIN CONTROL , CLAY PIGEON SHOOTING ( THEY CANT STOP THIS IF YOU HAVE THE FIRST REASON ) AND ( IF YOU HAVE MEMBERSHIP , 0 PRACTICLE SHOTGUN .

AS BRIEF AS POSS , ARGUE YOU NEEDS WHEN ASKED DONT LIMIT YOUR OPTIONS but you only need good reason , pigeon shootings enough .

I'd recommend putting target shotgun instead of practical shotgun for two reasons.

Firstly, some forces frown on practical shotgun for no good reason. Secondly you don't need to be a UKPSA member for target shotgun, not that you technically need to anyway but some forces do ask if you state practical shotgun.

One of my clubs is a destination for UKPSA events and runs the safety course from time to time but they also have a steel plate target shotgun range for people who for whatever reason don't want to do the whole practical thing but still want to blat a bunch of steel with a ten shot Mossberg.

Mick-sorry,it may be my fault- I took 'multi shot' to be 'more than 2 shots',whereas you may well be meaning by 'multi shot' a Section 1 shotgun,with a magazine capacity of more than 2 cartridges (and therefore capable of firing more than three shots (ie multi) without reloading.

g

No dramas, think we're singing off the same hymn sheet now ;)

I'd recommend putting target shotgun instead of practical shotgun for two reasons.

Firstly, some forces frown on practical shotgun for no good reason. Secondly you don't need to be a UKPSA member for target shotgun, not that you technically need to anyway but some forces do ask if you state practical shotgun.

One of my clubs is a destination for UKPSA events and runs the safety course from time to time but they also have a steel plate target shotgun range for people who for whatever reason don't want to do the whole practical thing but still want to blat a bunch of steel with a ten shot Mossberg.

Apols, I know I asked a similar question a long while back.

FAC shotguns - what wordage required for non target (ie vermin) use?

Anything different required for a detachable mag shotgun?

MrCetirizine where is the relivence to the OP?

when applying for an FAC you will have to stipulate good reason. It will not be issued just in case.

An example of such maybe feral pigeons causing a health hazard at x location other means to deter are not proportionate, realistic or achievable to neutralise the threat to public health.

MrCetirizine where is the relivence to the OP?

I was suggesting that if the OP was using target shooting as part of his good reason in addition to the vermin conditions he asked about then wording it as "target shotgun" rather than "practical shotgun" has benefits.

He never stated that he wouldn't be also including some kind of target requirement. So I thought I'd offer the only advice I have on the subject. If I'd suggested he don't buy a blue car then I could understand if you thought that was irrelevant.

Do you have to specify the number of cartridges you want your shotgun to hold or do you put in for multi shot and argue it out with the FEO as to how many you need? How is it then worded on the FAC, do they use a maximum number ie a shotgun containing not more than 7?? or do they specify an actual number??

Do you have to specify the number of cartridges you want your shotgun to hold or do you put in for multi shot and argue it out with the FEO as to how many you need? How is it then worded on the FAC, do they use a maximum number ie a shotgun containing not more than 7?? or do they specify an actual number??

See my post above. They just put '12 bore Section 1 Shot Gun'. The capacity is irrelevant. You only need to specify ammunition if you want slug (or to be technically accurate, ammunition with fewer than 9 shot). You will also require a shotgun certficate to purchase Section 2 ammunition, for which the amounts of ammunition is not required.

You don't need a SGC. My friend only has a FAC and can buy and hold non S1 cartridges for his S1 shotty. Actually unless the law has changed, you don't need any certificate for S2 cartridges.

I just checked the Home Office guide to firearms licensing law and you are absolutely right:

'A shotgun certificate is not required to possess or acquire shotgun cartridges containing five or more shot, none of which exceeds .36 inch in diameter. All ordinary shot cartridges are covered by this description. However, a shotgun certificate (or firearm certificate authorising possession of a section 1 shotgun) is normally required to purchase shotgun cartridges. All single bulleted ammunition, for example solid slug, spherical ball or projectiles for birdscaring equipment, is subject to the requirement for a firearm certificate.'

I just checked the Home Office guide to firearms licensing law and you are absolutely right:

'A shotgun certificate is not required to possess or acquire shotgun cartridges containing five or more shot, none of which exceeds .36 inch in diameter. All ordinary shot cartridges are covered by this description. However, a shotgun certificate (or firearm certificate authorising possession of a section 1 shotgun) is normally required to purchase shotgun cartridges. All single bulleted ammunition, for example solid slug, spherical ball or projectiles for birdscaring equipment, is subject to the requirement for a firearm certificate.'

Yes you can buy a slab and run down the street handing it out like Sweeties to anybody leave rest on the back seat of your car till you need it no offence will be committed

Airgun pellets oooh careful now if under 18 has unsupervised access to em

• 4 weeks later...

Archived