guys more than ever do i need some advice

reloaderdan

hi to you all i have a big problem my .222rem suffered a breach explosion last week i had been using up the last of my ammo before getting a new batch of 55 grn vmax heads this saturday well the last round i fired bang blow back past the bolt it was in new brass full lengh sized and trimed running at about 2980fps over 22.0gr of 4895 so its a real light load.

checked the case and the rim had a hair line crack in it any how looked over the rifle and bolt all are tight and how the were before apart from the small problem that the rifle will not except any rounds now at all the cartrage will chamber about 3/4 of the way down the chamber and then get stuck its that tight you cant operate the bolt to the closed postion this is for home loads and factory loads new brass or old brass

i have checked the barrel and throat with a bore snake camera and it all seams clear and now twisting or obstruction and the bolt and bolt face are all ok this has me stumped big time and its my best foxing round and they are all over the farm at the moment any help really appreciated guys

the gunsmiths local to me do not open till tuesday so if you have any ideas please or she will have to go to the doctors on tuesday :D

sorry should have put that its a (zavodi crevena zastava) its a yugoslavan rifle that i can find very little info on apart from they were used as "sniper" rifles in the bosnian war according to google hope this helps

Dan,

Had it been a more common make i was going to suggest a stuck in the "out" position ejector plunger???

i can only presume that your rifle is some kind of modified mauser system with a claw type extractor and fixed blade ejector??

Any chance of a pic of your bolt? i think there could be a problem there which should be eliminated before looking at a possible chamber problem.

Ian.

i may be stating the obvious but it didnt leave any of the neck behind in the throat maby, and its carboned up and looks like it should be there, probability unlikely!

If you checked all the bolts are tight, are the scope bases threaded into the reciver? the bolt lug may be touching one if tighened up the screw head may just be extruding into the action, stopping the bolt from moving any futher, sounds to simple to be true however i did it on my T3 and it has me stumped for a good while!

You may have checked these things however i really cant thing of any other possibilities!!

Regards

Shrek

thanks for the replys guys shrek there is no sign of any case left in the throat and the bolt looks ok here are some pics hope this helps a bit more as im well and truley stumped

bolt001.jpg

bolt002.jpg

bolt003.jpg

bolt004.jpg

bolt005.jpg

bolt006.jpg

will the bolt close ok with no bullet? have you checked the dimentions of the lugs with a vernier caliper? just in the photo the lug with the ejector slot seems to be flared out wider than the other solid lug?

However if the bolt works ok without a bullet then thats not the problem... Hmmm its a strange one mate!!

Two questions: Can we see the brass casing? And is there a chance there is matter in the locking lug recess? Will a factory round drop into the chamber without the bolt being in place? Usually if the blow is in the "moderate" level, the extractor and ejector take the brunt of it because the gasses are looking for the easiest route and these parts are relatively light.

If you had a bad leak VS a case letting go ala head separation, it is odd to think that it would have crashed the action too severely. The load you are talking about is at 35K pressure (+/-) and is one of my favorites with cast bullets in the Deuce because of that low pressure. Anyhow, how about a pic of the brass??~Andrew

Guest dasherman

I've got a Yugo made Interarms Mini Mauser that looks identical to this. If you want to compare the bolts etc to see if your is damaged pm me.

thanks for the replys guys the rifle will not chamber factory rounds and the bolt operates fine with out any ammo being chambered the size of the lugs are as follows left lug by the extractor is 0.3070 tight and the right lug is 0.3115 tight do you think this may be the problem and is it a fix at home job or of to the docs ?

i cant drop a round in the chamber when the bolt is removed and looking with the snake eye i can not see any fouling of the throat or lands when i chamber a round 3/4 of the way its a real fight to eject the round and i would say i need about 25-30 lbs of back preasure to move the bolt to the rear

keep the ideas coming guys and thanks for all your help if i cant fix it today ill send her away to be fixed and let you know what the problem was

The tolerances for the lugs are OK. You've got something in your chamber. If you hadn't saif that factory rounds won't chamber I'd be asking if you owned a 6mm! (A good friend of mine accidentally loaded 6mm bullets into his .223 once and couldn't get them chambered!)

So... What do you think caused the split case? Is it longitudinal in nature? I'd still like to see the case first hand.~Andrew

Take an empty case and paint it black with a marker, shove it into the chamber (by hand not with the bolt)

until it sits, then knock it back out with the cleaning rod. You should see some marks on the case.

That might lead to you problem.

edi

thanks for all the advice and ideas

andrew sorry mate i tossed the case as soon as it went duff but the crack/split was about 2mm up the case away from the primer and ran around the case for about 10mm in a wavey sort of line the crack its self was no wider than a fag paper is thick may be 0.5mm wide going to have another look into this ill keep you posted guys and thanks againto you all

right i have the problem solved thank you all for all your help some top blokes on here

i took the barrel to work to day and placed it in our large hydrosonic bath durning tea break and then looked in the waste catcher and found a speck of brass where it had come from i will never know i looked everywhere in that bloody barrel and throat with the camera and could not find a thing but there it was the smallest bit of brass knowen to man had had me stumped for days.

put the rifel back together after a reall good dry and bugger me she cycles rounds like the first day she came out of the box so off for a quick zero tonight and then try and knock over a few of thease charlies we have here

once again thanks to all of you and this forum for all your help :ph34r::):rolleyes:

hi there andrew it was in the twice fired box of brass i have but to be on the safe side i have scrapped the lot and now have brand new brass for the .222 all unfired and just waiting to be trimed sized and reloaded i have made some up this afternoon using my fav load of 22.0gr h4895 cci400 primers 55gr vmax seated at sammi giving a muzzle velocity 2906 ft/sec nice low preassured round but accurate as hell.

thanks again for the help and advice andrew happy hunting to you all

Dont say what cases your using, I have Federal and Remington cases for mine , I am still on the fedral yet but have tried half a dozen rem cases and there was no change to velocity or accuracy using them with the same load ( 25grs BLC2 + 50gr nosler Btip ), so I dont expect any problems when the feds are all done.

Glad you got a solution to your problem, fairly warms up the grey matter sometimes :ph34r:

Redfox

Archived