Wide Footprint Bipod

Hally

We have been trying some wider Footprint Bipods. And they have been working well. We use Dolphin Bipods on our heavy Stocks. And with our lighter stocks we have been slowly working our way up the scale with the Bipod width. And to date they work well. At 700mm they track well and don't suffer from Torque jump. Now we have worked up to 900mm and still keeping under 8.25 KG . Just wondering if anyone has tried the wider Bipods. post-11774-0-80618800-1447755202_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately, wide bi-pods ain't always so wide when you are shooting uphill a little - to raise the height means narrowing the footprint.

The alternative is something like the Canadian Mystic Precision - as you raise the rifle, the footprint gets wider.

Personally, I prefer the SEB or Regina (from Italy) where the feet stay the same distance apart irrespective of the inclination of the rifle. Both these bi-pods are only around a pound in weight.

Another way to skin the cat. Cradle type bipod on my dta. Wide, stable and foldable.]http://s111.photobucket.com/user/davids-s1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0180_zpsh1kgmw2n.jpg.html]DSC_0180_zpsh1kgmw2n.jpg

Could you please supply more details of this bipod - make, supplier, links etc.

Thanks.

The Seb Bipods are Fantastic and I have owned one. I found with me tho it jumped but this might be my shooting style good things tho. The Bipod is 1.4 KG so not very light . We have Dolphins for our heavy stocks. But we had weight up our sleeve so not for everyone. With this bipod we can still run a 3KG Barrel or run the 700mm wide Bipods and run 3.2kg Barrels .As for uneven Ground we have some very Shoking Mounds around here. And at times we use a inch of solid Industrial Heavy duty Belt under the Bipods. This gives a very smooth platform. With the feet comming in as you ajust this is true. But we use 700mm Wide Bipods ATM and I have not come across a mound that when you ajust for elevation that the footprint still is more than most. One advantage with a wider Bipod is Torque Jump / Skip you a almost don't get it at all. It just slides back as it can't skip to the side. But the weight issue of the Bipod is not an issue for us but could be for some. We had weight to make up so for fun started to play with the footprint. This is our 700mm Bipod and sorry I can't seem to get it the right way around.

post-11774-0-87041600-1447786046_thumb.jpg

Another way to skin the cat. Cradle type bipod on my dta. Wide, stable and foldable.

http://s111.photobucket.com/user/davids-s1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0180_zpsh1kgmw2n.jpg.html]DSC_0180_zpsh1kgmw2n.jpg

That would be fantastic if available as a suspended model - mounted above - sure you know how I'm thinking David...

Correction Hally the Seb Joy-pod weighs 18.6 ounces = 0.54kg not 1.4kg has you state so very light must be one of the lightest if not the lightest wide footprints around

Hi gunnery sorry it was probably the way l wrote it. As i said we very much liked our Seb fantastic bit of Kit. Unfortunately my shooting style or something makes it jump for me but they are the Bizz no argument from me there I wish l wasn't so hamfisted and I could work it better..When I said the Bipod is 1.4 KG and not very light I meant It's My Bipod that weights 1.4 KG not the Seb. There is nothing light about mine or all that fancy actually it's just an up sized Bipod.But it is as solid as they come no flex spot on.I know and shoot with the guy who makes them. So not having to worry about weight too much he can make it Quite beefy and just mill out a bit to get the desired 1.4 KG we needed.I was just wondering if others have used a wide footprint bipod and there thoughts. I think Dave from the Shooting shed has a wide footprint Bipod 650mm ?? Somewhere around there. We needed to make up some weight to get back up to 8.25KG as our new stocks are lighter than our old ones. so I thought try a bigger Bipod and experiment a bit. And I was surprised at how it made the Rifle behave under recoil it was very Noticeable and for the better. We have done this a couple of times and now we have stepped it up a bit more. With a 700mm 1.2 KG Bipod when shooting the 208 Amax or 210 Bergers there is very little ( Almost none) Torque Jump and it stays on target very well. But the new one at 1.4 KG and 900mm wide it's not going to suite most FTR shooters and when we use our heavy stocks it wouldn't suite us.

Just thought there might be someone else out there who has tried going down this path and what they thought.

As there is always someone that has done it before. Nothing new under the Sun as they say.

Thanks

Good luck with the project it looks really solid but over here we are tend to put most of the weight limit into the barrel in FTR and go for a light bi-pod and scope but it is a constant battle when building a FTR RIFLE to keep inside the weight limits

Yes you are right it is a constant Battle that's for shore. With Barrels getting heavier I don't know weather a bigger heavier Barrel will shoot better than a light one you guys would probably know better if this is what you usually do.. I like the heavier barrels but I have seen some light barrels shoot fantastic. If I was to use the Dolphin I can go up to 3.857 KG ( 8.3 Pounds ) for FTR but we don't tend to go to heavy with the Barrels maybe we should try it

But it's all fun..

Rob and Vince,

Czech made, I am bringing about 30 of them over to the BSS there are a couple of versions. If you are at the show come and have a look.

Weight 35oz, just under 1kg.

Which show?

I take it using these wide pods is way steadier than a harris type pod

Hi yes Swarovski absolutely no comparison but then the Harris is more of a Hunting type Bypod. We have used our Harris on the range and they work ok . But with a wide footprint ( any FTR Bipod ) they don't bounce or skip anything like a Harris. But if I was going to walk through the Bush the Harris is perfect..

post-11774-0-82721000-1447871767_thumb.jpg

This is a 700mm Bipod Swarovski and with the feet wider apart than say a Harris it doesn't suffer from the skip that say a Harris would. Just like a Seb or any of the other Bipods that are designed for range shooting. We do take these Varmint Shooting when we are just laying in the one place nice and steady.

Thanks

Hally,

Mate, up here in the Northern Hemisphere I'm having to stand on my head to check out your last two photos. Could you spin your camera 180?

Cheers cobba.

Richard.

Hi Richard sorry the first Pic I knew was upside down but the second one looks right this end sorry again.Our club spends most of its time doing Research. we Almost never have club shoots against each other. Just try different things. Load development different stocks Bipods and the like. And then go to prize Meetings and try them out. So Swarovski 1 I don't have to worry about Having the Piss Taken out of me for trying something different well not to much Piss anyway??.I have placed a link Below hope it works and is the right way up???.When we were trying out the 700mm Bipod we took a vid .We are at 1000y and using 210 Bergers its a Stout load. we were still trying to find a sweet spot on the stock for the Bipod. This setup shoots well. The shooter is 14 yo.

Copy this link to see the video

Archived