best reloading tip you've learnt

Swarovski1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Judge whether a reloading operation will actually deliver noticeable improvements in the kind of shooting you do-the top shooters within a discipline tend to agree...tend to ,note...and have different priorities to top shooters in other disciplines. And top shooters are not average shooters either,so their best proceedures might not apply equally to average shooters.

One guiding principle doesn't fit all equally

gbal

Muir on stalking directory re-tried my best reloading tip as a myth busters experiment and with his reloading dies etc proved a myth.spud you've been busted . I loaded up 50 rounds yesterday and still spun 180 degrees and pressed again.its not to say my my press and dies are as accurate as his so I will stick with your method until I get a lock n load concentricity tool to prove different.

A good shooter will always out-shoot a good reloader. Invest in better tuition not better reloading equipment.

Hmmmmm.....how about both?

The 'precision' of a rifle/ammo are what it is capable of under ideal conditions,and is largely an 'engineering' matter (included powder disperser etc etcnot just chambering etc ec).That sets a lower limit,which can be equaled but not improved on no matter how good the shooter.

'Accuracy' is hiiting the target-and that is what the shooter 'aims' to do,and shooting skill becomes important-no fliches/wobbles and excellent wind reading skills to apply an exact ballistic solution. Good rests/triggers/scopes help considerably-they are shooter aids-they do not increase intrinsic rig precision,but they enable the shooter to get close tothat precision,if skilled enough.

A very skilled shooter will not do too well with poor precision gear (David Tubb won't be shooting a Kalashnikov with militry ammo in any competition and winning!) A shooter who is less skilled (how much less?) may just edge a better shooter on the day if the poorer shooter's gear is sufficiently superior.,conditions don't ask much/anyting of the shooter and the poorer shooter has a lucky run.

How much 'better' or 'worse' means is simply not cacluable/measureable,but each component can vary and to some extentcompensate forthe other,but not indefinitely.

Best gear,best used-both components are variable...the first set (precision) are purchaseable,the shooter skill set are less so,haviong a human,not just 'engineering' component.

Justas a last thought too,even the best ballistic solution at firing can be lessened by wind changes in flight-as Vince observes,sometimes the wind blows them in,not out....so the poorer shoter might get lucky....and occasionally does on one off shots.

Sorry it's a bit long,and not a tip-except to get clear what can/cannot be done,and how-but the whole topic sometimes seems misunderstood,and overgeneralisations can be quite misleading.It may also vary a bit with differnt disciplines-a 1moa rig just won't win any 100Y Bench Rest comps,but might at 1000y.I'm not saying invest £500 to reduce groups .1 moa,notice-It might well be better spent on reducing shooting/wind errors 5% ,so long as the rig's precision is capable of showing such improvement-most are,but vary,of course.

WEZ analysis can put some of this into numbers-at least fairly 'accurately'-wind readin eg,but not 'steady grip'.

Good shooting in all the components.

gbal

Indeed,are not we all,on life's pathway.

"Grant me:

The serenity to accept what I cannot change,

The wherwithall to change what I can change,

And the wisdom to know the differerence"

"Serenity prayer" by Reinhold Neibur.

My (minor) adaptation of WW Bradleys 1962 adaptation in "The retreat to commitment" goes:

'For every problem with a gun,

There is a fix,or there is none.

If there be one ,try to find it,

If there be none,never mind it."

Both are reasonably consistent with "Precision and Accuracy" by Bryan Litz.

:-) gbal

Indeed,are not we all,on life's pathway.

"Grant me:

The serenity to accept what I cannot change,

The wherwithall to change what I can change,

And the wisdom to know the differerence"

"Serenity prayer" by Reinhold Neibur.

My (minor) adaptation of WW Bradleys 1962 adaptation in "The retreat to commitment" goes:

'For every problem with a gun,

There is a fix,or there is none.

If there be one ,try to find it,

If there be none,never mind it."

Both are reasonably consistent with "Precision and Accuracy" by Bryan Litz.

:-) gbal

hey George. .you've forgot more that Brian litz knows......

Ha ha-not even close-Bryan has a Ballistics-ology,and can shoot and write good too.

But just understanding his ' Accuracy' and 'Precision' terms alone,would reduce confusions, considerably.

g

Archived