UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
brown dog

Most reliable £100 Side by Side?

Thinking of getting myself a cheap side by side 'beater'.

Might sound like a mad question, but there are a ton of side by sides being sold at around the £100 (or less) mark. My mind leaps towards things like AYA Yeomans and Baikals. Any thoughts on the most reliable (and most avoidable) brands?

(In particular, I visualise Baikals as the rough-and-ready Russian tractor of a shotgun - are they, or were they actually just cheaply/poorly made?)

I had my first Baikel SB'S when I was 11. 32 years later and it still looks pretty much the same as it did then. Still tight on the action and still gets used as knock about/dog training/truck/quad gun.

Just use the "chicken defender"

I had an AYA number 4 for a number of years for taking out with the dogs. It was a lovely light weight gun, I believe the yoaman is similar without ejectors. Spanish finesse over russian tractor.

Have you got a grouse day coming up BD? £100 crikey but give me 24 hours i may know of a lamber coming up for that sort of money - any particular calibre?

Yeoman or Baikal are long service shotguns.There is choice.

Most iimportant issues are a reasonable fit-the right s/s just feels right.

And the appropriate choking-personal,but IC and 1/4 was my preference-avoid 3/4 to Full ,usually.

Nearly 50 years ago,the Baikal was the only 26" !C /Quarter choked ejector around-what I wanted,have two now,hardly call them a pair-and it was a lot cheaper than a Churchill XXV...£99 posted,I recall !!

gbal

Yeoman or Baikals are good options at your price range.Baikals however come with very short stocks although there are some around with better wood from Italy I believe.Richard

BSA keeper or deluxe mate. I have a keeper gun nowt fancy but it's 60odd yr old and still works!!!

A few years ago I bought a 100 year old double trigger side by side from a game fair for £99.

I used it for a year, shot loads of pigeons with it and also won the local monthly side by side clay tournament with it 10 months on the trot.

A friend decided he wanted to buy it so I sold it to him for the £99 that I had paid for it.

2 months later it broke.

Moral of the story is.........it cost £99, what do you expect??

Aya yeomen non ejector money, you'll get quite a good one for that. I got one for a bottle of Vodka which sits in the cabinet for a German mate who comes over to shoot as its what he has, tried it myself and it's fair to say that afterwards I thought I couldn't hit a cow in the arse with a banjo. Try and get one that fits ;)!!

I have my old trusty rusty SBS "Spanish Astra" 32" barrel Full and 3/4 chokes..Had it 18yrs and cost my Dad £80 back in the day. It's been run over, dropped in several ditches including one river,seen daily use in the worst of conditions and spent most of its life caked in mud and wheat. Never and I mean Never has it jammed, not ejected or had to be looked at by a gunsmith. Its accounted for more game and vermin than I care to remember and still to this day from a choice of several others higher value (AYA No2,W&S and BSA) shotguns in my cabinet wins hands down every time. Couldn't speak more highly of this true bargin basement work horse. I have looked after it with regular cleans but if you seen it, it's obvious it's had a hard life ha ha. A true keepers gun..

See them pop up in my local gun shop every now and again and there still under a ton and I'd imagine dismissed.