Wood grouse with rifle

I think this form of hunting doesn't exist in UK so might be interesting to watch.

Also the concept of shooting birds UP in a tree with a centerfire rifle will raise the hairs on people living in more densely populated areas.

This hunt was filmed in a true wilderness area in northern Sweden. The dog finds birds on the ground, they are treed and the dog will bark at the tree the bird hides in. The hunters then crawl in.

This is a difficult hunt to film, but hope you get the idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZFGtHQ63Pg

Excellent video.

We used to have a lot of Capercaillie around here until they were almost wiped out by the Forestry Commission in the eighties.

First thing I ever shot was a female Capercaillie taken in a tree with a .22 Rimfire in 1966 when I was eight yars old.

"Capers" are pretty rare nowadays, I haven't seen one in the wild for around 20 years.

Yes Thomas - Capers were very plentiful in the 50s - 60s - 70s until change of habitat plus deliberate heavy culling by the Forestry Commission devastated the population.

The Capercaillie became extinct in the early c.19th and was reintroduced then - it could happen again.

On another note, I can't believe you eat them - I've tried it a couple of times, terrible! What do you do to make them edible?

Yes Thomas - Capers were very plentiful in the 50s - 60s - 70s until change of habitat plus deliberate heavy culling by the Forestry Commission devastated the population.

The Capercaillie became extinct in the early c.19th and was reintroduced then - it could happen again.

On another note, I can't believe you eat them - I've tried it a couple of times, terrible! What do you do to make them edible?

Just out of interest why would the FC deliberately want cull a game bird?

The FC protect them today, but it was not always so. I remember when they used to organise shotgun drives for deer, we're only talking 40 years ago - how things change.

I was told some years ago that you put the caper in a big pan of salted water with an old boot.

You boil for 48hours, then throw the caper away and eat the boot.

Another one was dig a hole and bury the Caper then forget where you buried it.

On a more serious note I have heard of soaking the caper in milk. Another tip I've heard is to remove the crop from the bird immediately after shooting.

I'd be interested to hear the Scandinavian perspective as I'm sure they eat them regularly there.

Not sure how you guys cook them...

Hang and cure the bird. Take out breast fillet. Give a quick fry in pan. Heat in oven until pink core. Serve with mushrooms, potatoes etc.

It can easily be overcooked and become very dry.

Good taste, not as good as ptarmigan (grouse) though.

Not sure how you guys cook them...

Hang and cure the bird. Take out breast fillet. Give a quick fry in pan. Heat in oven until pink core. Serve with mushrooms, potatoes etc.

It can easily be overcooked and become very dry.

Good taste, not as good as ptarmigan (grouse) though.

I haven't eaten Capercaillie (Tetrao urogallus) since the 1960s, but as far as I remember my Grandmother rosted it in the oven.

I've never eaten Black Grouse (Tetrao tetrix), but Scottish Red Grouse (Lagopus lagopus scottica) which of course is effectively the same bird as your woodland Ptarmigan (Lagopus lagopus) which I quite like. I've never even seen a Scottish Ptarmigan (Lagopus muta) but I believe they are eaten here.

• 3 months later...

Archived