Remington 700 LTR magazine conversion

simgre

I have a Remington 700 LTR in 6.8SPC. I was planning a detachable magazine conversion and spoke with a gunsmith who convinced me not to go ahead with it as on the lighter HS LTR stock, the conversion is a pig to do and copious amounts of bedding compound have to be used to fill out the stock, behind the trigger guard. Said he'd done one before and wouldn't do a conversion on a LTR stock again...

Because of this I shelved the idea and even traded the .223 AI mags I'd been collecting for when the job was done, but....

I have the idea again! A search on t'web shows plenty of images of said conversion and plenty of forum threads asking "which is the best bottom metal for conversion of an LTR", but there's scant info on those already done!

So quick questions. Has anyone ever had one done? Anyone ever done one? Is it as problematic as I've been led to believe? Do I need to start gathering magazines again?

Any help would be appreciated.

I have a Remington 700 LTR in 6.8SPC. I was planning a detachable magazine conversion and spoke with a gunsmith who convinced me not to go ahead with it as on the lighter HS LTR stock, the conversion is a pig to do and copious amounts of bedding compound have to be used to fill out the stock, behind the trigger guard. Said he'd done one before and wouldn't do a conversion on a LTR stock again...

Because of this I shelved the idea and even traded the .223 AI mags I'd been collecting for when the job was done, but....

I have the idea again! A search on t'web shows plenty of images of said conversion and plenty of forum threads asking "which is the best bottom metal for conversion of an LTR", but there's scant info on those already done!

So quick questions. Has anyone ever had one done? Anyone ever done one? Is it as problematic as I've been led to believe? Do I need to start gathering magazines again?

If you have a hinged floorplate, have you considered a floorplate extender ? For £27 you can use a no gunsmithing solution to increase capacity by a few rounds.

Talk to a gunsmith who is willing to do it. I,ve done literally hundreds. The job is the same regardless of what stock its to be fitted to. Not difficult with the correct machinery.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived