British take on Hog Saddle

DaveT

Having attended the RBL precursor match and the RRC & MQC... I feel the need for something like the Hog Saddle rather than simple cross-sticks or (going to the other extreme!) a Workmate which I saw being lugged onto the range.

I have been talking to David at Shooting Shed about the potential for him to make something similar to the Hog Saddle and he is up for it IF a minimum of 12 orders were to arise.

Anyone that has bought his various products will know that they are top-notch and I have also had a custom cheek piece made for my XLR stock which is a great improvement over the original which 'rocks' in its mounting!

Would anyone be interested in a British-made saddle?

Not gone into price yet but it would obviously have to be less that a US import plus associated costs....that will be up to David to determine if there is sufficient interest.

Let me know.

Many thanks Bradders and your commission is in the post :) It all came about after seeing one of the participants of 2014 RBL charity match using a hog saddle to great effect in 'sitting supported' practice. After seeing the price of these things I decided to go ahead and manufacture my own and went on to use it in the 2015 RBL match…it secured me a win in the .223 class.

Since then I have had quite a bit of interest from fellow shooters and club members and we now have a manufacturer on board making the clamp on a 5 axis cnc. The clamp is made from 6082 T6 Aluminium, finished in cerakote and weighs in at around 550grams. The base is has both 1/4 & 3/8 BSW tappings so will fit onto a conventional tripod or ball head as seen in the photo. Let me know via pm if would like any further details

post-11040-0-74789700-1445353297_thumb.jpg

post-11040-0-94472500-1445353315_thumb.jpg

post-11040-0-02272700-1445355242_thumb.jpg

I'd buy one, have been looking at the hog saddle previously. Cad Monkey yours looks good, seems as if the bearing surface is longer and larger than the hog saddle.

yes well spotted, the surface area of the clamp is approx 65% greater than that of the original and helps to disperse of the load, maintain stability and keep a firm hold on the rifle stock. pm sent.

Guys, please note that I did not mean to hijack this topic and turn it into a sales thread, I was just demonstrating an alternative option to those who are keen at DIY and who wish to find a solution to a problem without spending a small fortune. However, for those who are not so keen at DIY then please feel free to contact me via pm for further details on how I can assist

How does this type of clamp compare to something like this http://www.bushwear.co.uk/primos-2-point-gun-rest.html ?

I don't think the clamp would work so well if used on a wood stock which does not have slab sides, and if the stock was natural wood I'd think it could easily damage it.

If I wanted to use a tripod with a tacticool style rifle I think I may just put a section of picatinny rail on the bottom of the stock and make a tripod to QD mount adapter. Wouldn't this be even more secure, and easier to dismount? As well as being much easier to DIY make from cheap components. What do people think of that idea? Are they available already?

I made myself something like the Primos thing, in wood, and I think it works pretty well, though it's a lot bulkier to carry around than a hog saddle.

How does this type of clamp compare to something like this http://www.bushwear.co.uk/primos-2-point-gun-rest.html ?

I don't think the clamp would work so well if used on a wood stock which does not have slab sides, and if the stock was natural wood I'd think it could easily damage it.

If I wanted to use a tripod with a tacticool style rifle I think I may just put a section of picatinny rail on the bottom of the stock and make a tripod to QD mount adapter. Wouldn't this be even more secure, and easier to dismount? As well as being much easier to DIY make from cheap components. What do people think of that idea? Are they available already?

I made myself something like the Primos thing, in wood, and I think it works pretty well, though it's a lot bulkier to carry around than a hog saddle.

I did try to use that type of support at the 2014 RBL comp but found that it just was stable enough to maintain a fixed point of aim on a 1/2moa target @ 300 yards, the clamp did. With regards to fixing the clamp to varoius stock profiles/materials, I can confirm that I have used the clamp on a multitude of fore ends ranging from a No.4, Sauer 202, ACIS, Tikka T3 and varoius AR15's fitted with circular handguards and I'm happy to report that it worked on them all. I'll post a few pics showing a few examples when it eventually stops raining I get an opportunity to take them.

I'm quite sure that a section of picatinny rail used in conjunction with an adapter would work and offer a certain degree of support, just not in the same way and would certainly not achieve the same results.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Handled one of these beauties at the show. What a quality piece of kit it really is.

The Engineering is superb....no backlash in the thread or movement when traversing whatsoever.

Absolutely top notch....I will be having one.