No cannelure

spartan7510

Seems to be a recurring issue ...to crimp or not........wasted effort (my view ) .....unless you are convinced it works for you of course as confidence in your ammo is vital!

It measurably works for me using the Lee die. Don't crimp gives wider groups, do crimp gives tighter groups.

If like me, you just use standard FL dies and don't neck turn or use special tools for consistent neck tension then the Lee factory crimp offers a quick and effective way of standardising neck tension.

• 5 months later...

I have run test after test, with 10 and 20 round strings, with many different chamberings, getting smaller extreme spread and standard deviation with crimping. I crimp everything and if Lee doesn't make an FCD for the cartridge I'm working on I contact them and have one made. ONLY use the Lee Factory Crimp Die and make sure your cases are trimmed to the same length.

Crimping is not a controversial practice. Most major ammunition makers use some kind of crimp; either mechanical or chemical. (lacquer) It is the handloader who doesn't crimp and frankly, the number of handloaders who don't is shrinking daily. There was a good reason that crimping fell out of style: The built in "crimping feature" on common seater dies is worthless. With the advent of the Factory Crimp Die the handloader has the opportunity to duplicate the uniform crimp provided by ammunition makers. I have found that most people who find it "unnecessary" or "can't see the point" in crimping have never tried it. People who give it a serious test usually stay with it. It is not always necessary, but it is almost never harmful and most often, beneficial.~Andrew

A cannelure is really only necessary for military ammunition, which may be subject to rough handling. The cannelure can also provide a recess for a neck sealant, to help make the ammunition resistant to water ingress.

Archived