cpc certificate.

moonfleet

does anyone here drive an lgv ,im looking to get a cpc certificate next year so I can hopefully change my job.i have a lgv licence but don't drive so I need to look into the cpc cert.what I would like to know is how much does it cost and what is envolved e.g. is there questions like first aid involved and how long is the training e.t.c..places that do training in south wales would be useful if available.

thanks all in advance.

The courses are run by private companies. The course is 35hrs. in a classroom for anything from £300 - £400. There is no 'test' at the end of the course, and no fail.

A complete and utter joke.

Continental drivers coming to our country do not have to comply.

I have held a Class1 licence for getting on forty years. When my licence, medical or digital tacho card is due for renewal, I get a reminder from DVLA.

I have had no official word about the CPC. I am expected to know about it by reading the press - but if I do not have one, I am breaking the law if driving 'for hire or reward'.

Disgusting.

When I did my cpc I had 3 of the 5 sessions on tachos apparently it doesn't have to be on 5 different things so long as you complete the required hours. 5 of the most boring days of my life, even they guy doing the training said it was a waste of time and if I was bored what about him!

it does sound like a waste of money and time but I have no option if I want to change jobs ill be looking into it in new year at some point ,it does grieve me though what a waste thanks for all the replies im dreading it already .

• 1 month later...

Hi. CPC lasts for five years. Once you have it, you have to do 35 hours in class room over 5 years. You could do same module 5 times. That's meant to be changing from this year. If you are doing any driving courses ask if will it go towards your cpc. There is no test you just have to do the hours. No company will hire you without one. If you don't carry it with you whilst driving it's a £1000 fine for you and employer. Money making exercise cost around £300/400 last year to do.

Jim

• 10 months later...

Like a lot of your replys i have held a class one opps we are now LGV drivers not HGV !!!!! it is a compulsory condition there are no grandfather rights you have to complete 35 hrs over a 5 yr period in a registered classroom/instructor each module can be taken as many times as you like i personally gained no new knowledge from the coarse that is not a complacent remark i think 9 others may agree) that a novice/new driver would gain valuable information from the coarse & as such i personally feel that it should be administered as part of your training for your initial driving test

an interesting point if you dont carry your CPC & you are stopped by the traffic wombles of the man from the ministry not only do you get a fine but they also impound the vehicle untill you produce a valid cpc the reason is that they need to scan the bar code on the card which as it happens is the same as the one on your driving licence but that is not acceptable ???

so to sum up it is NOT a money making scheme for the govenment !!!!!

I am giving up driving my truck due to the cpc being introduced .

I have nothing against the cpc as such but the course should not need to be repeated every 5 years once you have completed it , you get a course certificate and your done. Next they will be asking professional drivers to do a refresh driving lesson every 5 years.

It's like saying my dsc1 certificate only lasts 5 years before I need to do it again.

Purely a money making scheme in my eyes.

• 10 months later...

I am giving up driving my truck due to the cpc being introduced .

I have nothing against the cpc as such but the course should not need to be repeated every 5 years once you have completed it , you get a course certificate and your done. Next they will be asking professional drivers to do a refresh driving lesson every 5 years.

It's like saying my dsc1 certificate only lasts 5 years before I need to do it again.

Purely a money making scheme in my eyes.

Giving up you business just for the sake of doing a 4-5 day course ?

Not an impossibility, if not within 5 years. Over the years there was the Woodland Stalkers course, if I'm not mistaken that was replaced with the Stalker's Competence Certificate ( which I did in 1994), then when I was abroad between 2003 and 2008 I missed the opportunity to convert that under grandfather's rights free of charge to DSC1 and had to pay again, plus do the DSC2.

I am the world's biggest sceptic and would not rule out the whole thing changing agin within 10 to 15 years.

• 6 months later...

Initial driver CPC is different to the ongoing 35 hours training for legacy or already qualified drivers.

The initial CPC is an extra theory test (module 2) at a DVSA theory testing centre, and a practical test on strapping etc. (Module 4) at a DVSA driving test centre. 

• 2 weeks later...

Whats the criteria for someone who's held HGV 1 for the last 30 years, but hasnt driven the last 20.... in terms of CPC training...?

Archived