Rail Guns?

Guest Stacka

Nope - just another form of competition - the wind-reading skills of the shooter will still be the most important factor - as in most rifle shooting competitions.

+1. We all benefit from these guys. The rail guns remove many variables and allow folk to focus in on what is really important. Here's an interesting take on verifying scopes.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/10/hail-the-rail-unrivaled-precision-for-accuracy-junkies/

Regards

JCS

How can you knoick something youve not tried i for one would love to try with a rail gun if we only had more like minded shooters in the UK

I'm not knocking it, if people like it that's fine. People love stamp collecting too but I wouldn't want to do that either as it doesn't interest me on any level.

I'm sure it takes knowledge and skill but it just seems like one of those dull, overly scrutinised pastimes that requires adenoids to me.

How can you knoick something youve not tried i for one would love to try with a rail gun if we only had more like minded shooters in the UK

I saw the results from the last round of the UK Benchrest league, what was it, 18 shooters?

It's more about who's built the best machine and can operate it efficiently, kind of like Bonneville Motorcycle Speed Trials but for guns. There are skills involved but you don't need to be Valentino Rossi to do it. I understand why people get obsessed with this but it's almost like enjoying your own results vicariously.

I saw the results from the last round of the UK Benchrest league, what was it, 18 shooters?

Very true 18 it was, if you come it will be 19.

Why dont we stop knocking each other's chosen disciplines and maybe give them a go first?

8 or so years ago I gave benchrest a go and now I have been all over the world with it. I have friends all over the world through it, it has enhanced my shooting an reloading because of it also.

Also it's not just about having the best kit, it's about knowing how to use it.

We start our winter league on Saturday 14th Novemeber, who wants to come and prove its so easy?

We had a slightly lower turn out than normal due to the close proximity of the World Championships in the USA next week - nine will be going and have send their equipment in advance. But with our 8 bench range, 24 is an ideal number.

The following day we had 36 for the 1000 yd BR shoot - which is about as many as we can comfortably handle without reducing the round-count.

We had 70 shooters for the Fly Shoot - but we wouldn't if we ran one every month.

As mole-e says - shoot benchrest and travel the world - I've shot for Team GB in New Zealand, USA, Italy, Sweden, Austria, Spain, France - in what other UK shooting discipline could you do that? We regularly get over 20 countries in our Benchrest Worlds - not just half a dozen as in many disciplines.

But, each to his own - I shoot benchrest every month but I also shoot F Class every couple of weeks - plus McQueen, Tactical, Classic Military etc. I'd love to do more, but there's a limit on how many disciplines you can realistically compete in.

I even did the Practical Rifle circuit in the 'old days' - when it was 'recovering' from the semi-auto ban.

Enjoy what you shoot but don't let's condemn another's shooting discipline - there are plenty of 'antis' happy to do that!

We had a slightly lower turn out than normal due to the close proximity of the World Championships in the USA next week - nine will be going and have send their equipment in advance. But with our 8 bench range, 24 is an ideal number.

The following day we had 36 for the 1000 yd BR shoot - which is about as many as we can comfortably handle without reducing the round-count.

We had 70 shooters for the Fly Shoot - but we wouldn't if we ran one every month.

As mole-e says - shoot benchrest and travel the world - I've shot for Team GB in New Zealand, USA, Italy, Sweden, Austria, Spain, France - in what other UK shooting discipline could you do that? We regularly get over 20 countries in our Benchrest Worlds - not just half a dozen as in many disciplines.

But, each to his own - I shoot benchrest every month but I also shoot F Class every couple of weeks - plus McQueen, Tactical, Classic Military etc. I'd love to do more, but there's a limit on how many disciplines you can realistically compete in.

I even did the Practical Rifle circuit in the 'old days' - when it was 'recovering' from the semi-auto ban.

Enjoy what you shoot but don't let's condemn another's shooting discipline - there are plenty of 'antis' happy to do that!

100% there are enough people who are gun haters already

Actually I was more intrigued than anything, as I always had the impression BR was bigger than it actually is (must be the good PR).

That said, with the numbers being what they are, I wouldn't see the mileage in sub-dividing that with more classes (if that's the case) and introducing what look to be unfeasibly expensive mechanisms and apparatus to please what must be an extreme minority.

I could be entirely wrong though, but personally I believe that shooting should be simple and attainable for all.

Stuff like those rigs isn't going to do much in the way of bringing new blood into the sport

The monthly Benchrest comp is on at Bisley this Sunday.

With 9 top UK Benchrest shooters away in the USA this week that leaves a few spaces free for any of you guys who claim that their rifles 'shoots 1/4 moa all day long' to come along and pick up the honours.

See you there.......and we'll all look forward to the '1/4 moa all day long' demonstration :)

Even in the States, rail guns are a niche sport - outside of America, I doubt they exist in sufficient quantity to run a comp.

Short-range BR is tiny in the UK but it's shot in about 30 countries - making it probably the most popular centrefire disciplne.

In the UK, there are perhaps a dozen who take it seriously and our monthly comps - in addition to being good fun - are really how we keep in shape for the European and World Championships which are held alternate years.

For the beginner, we have have classes for standard rifles and modestly price guns like the Savage 6BR are a cheap way into benchrest - this gun is competitive at 100, 600 and 1000 yards.

Strangely, there is more discussion on shooting small 'groups' on this forum than almost anything else - and that's all we do - but we do it together and call it benchrest.

This year we are starting a new winter 100 yard Benchrest league.

The first 2 dates are Saturday 14th November and Saturday 5th December, they marry up with the 600 yard series shoots on the Sunday so you can make a weekend out of it.

We would like to use this league also as a taster series for those that might want to come and experience a benchrest shoot and have a go.

Please feel free to come and shoot in Sporter Class with whatever you have be it off a bipod or a rest, an AR15, a stalking rifle or a F-Class rifle.

Hey the first time I came to a shoot a kind man called Vince aka The Gun Pimp had a quiet word with me and let me shoot a group from his custom bench gun, he didn't know me from Adam but we are a kind lot honest.

In the last couple of years we have invested heavily in the sport as an association and individuals who lend out gear, so that we can both improve and make it easier for new shooters to come and have a go without having to invest any money.

It has paid dividends, we are getting new shooters coming and having a go, like any discipline some will stay and some will go. We are also increasing our presence on the European and World stages, our performance at last year's European championships in France was largely due to healthy competition within our ranks that drives us forward and also help from within, with advice and skills on the likes of reloading, wind reading and gunsmithing.

Finally, running and putting together these shoots takes a lot of time and effort and it does hurt those that put in this time and effort to see people who have never even come and give it a go to slag it off in an open forum.....

So as above, lets see a load of new faces on Saturday 14th November to have a go, I promise you that I personally and all the other regulars will make you very welcome and we will try to send you away after a fun day shooting small groups.

Cheers

Bruce

Even in the States, rail guns are a niche sport - outside of America, I doubt they exist in sufficient quantity to run a comp.

Short-range BR is tiny in the UK but it's shot in about 30 countries - making it probably the most popular centrefire disciplne.

In the UK, there are perhaps a dozen who take it seriously and our monthly comps - in addition to being good fun - are really how we keep in shape for the European and World Championships which are held alternate years.

For the beginner, we have have classes for standard rifles and modestly price guns like the Savage 6BR are a cheap way into benchrest - this gun is competitive at 100, 600 and 1000 yards.

Strangely, there is more discussion on shooting small 'groups' on this forum than almost anything else - and that's all we do - but we do it together and call it benchrest.

That last bit made me laugh, nice one Vince.

• 3 months later...

Now you can't argue with that!

I fancy a go myself

Archived