Looking Good for GB at Camp Perry (Palma Shield)

Laurie

Looking at the names of the US team and the ones I recognise are High Power shooters.

I would bet money that at any of their regular matches they would all be shooting prone rifles in a calibre that begins with a 6!

Having "Try Outs" on a few weekends to see who's good enough to make the cut isn't the same as regular 3,5,600 & 8,9,1000 yd matches and practise, such as happens regularly at Bisley.

Mark, I think you're seriously underestimating the effort and commitment that the Americans put into the Palma competition.

That country, its target shooting community, and its NRA big wheels want to win with a hunger that is difficult to imagine. I know for a fact that the country's failure to take the shield in (I think) five out the last six occasions has caused deep angst and much internal discussion and debate as to how to recover the shield.

The US sees the Palma shield as theirs, and to fail to regain it is bad enough, but when the matches were held on their sacred home turf of Camp Perry really rubs salt into what are undoubtedly very deep and painful wounds. There will be ashes in many mouths, clothing rent asunder and serious gnashing of teeth to mix some biblical and other metaphors. This is the American equivalent to Australia's losing the ashes, but much worse as they were beaten in almost every respect by large margins - no well, we were leading at the end of the first day, or we whupped their asses in the 800 yards matches consolation at all.

The irony is that there isn't the slightest interest in what is a fantastic result for a British team from the UK sports or general media, politicians or whoever. If the situation had been reversed and it'd been a whitewash in favour of the USA, that would have been national news over there.

The irony is that there isn't the slightest interest in what is a fantastic result for a British team from the UK sports or general media, politicians or whoever. If the situation had been reversed and it'd been a whitewash in favour of the USA, that would have been national news over there.

That's the big shame.

Mark, I think you're seriously underestimating the effort and commitment that the Americans put into the Palma competition.

That country, its target shooting community, and its NRA big wheels want to win with a hunger that is difficult to imagine. I know for a fact that the country's failure to take the shield in (I think) five out the last six occasions has caused deep angst and much internal discussion and debate as to how to recover the shield.

The US sees the Palma shield as theirs, and to fail to regain it is bad enough, but when the matches were held on their sacred home turf of Camp Perry really rubs salt into what are undoubtedly very deep and painful wounds. There will be ashes in many mouths, clothing rent asunder and serious gnashing of teeth to mix some biblical and other metaphors. This is the American equivalent to Australia's losing the ashes, but much worse as they were beaten in almost every respect by large margins - no well, we were leading at the end of the first day, or we whupped their asses in the 800 yards matches consolation at all.

They may think so, but when your shooting equipment and ammunition rules allow 'this months calibre of the week' to be used in regular competition, the advantage will always go to the man with one gun, errr I mean bullet, who knows exactly how it performs.

That way you have people performing purely on shooting ability, rather than trying to eek every little bit of an advantage with their newest wunder bullet, such as you have with F Class, a discipline, particularly in F/TR that has lost the plot.

Until they instigate wholesale change in their approach to Palma shooting, they won't pick up anything

Archived