Plastic Fouling in Barrel

Hi

Hoping someone can help me!?

I'm new to shotgun shooting and I'm getting pretty hacked off with trying to get plastic stripes out of my barrel - even after a mere 50 birds!

I've looked online and RGS cleaner seems to be good but cant find anywhere in the uk to get it!?

Anyone got any ideas?? Either to stop the fouling or get rid of it once it's there??

Cheers

Chris

I use to get anal about plastic fowling, I don't bother now to be honest, maybe after a thousand round which takes me a couple of weeks.

Then all I do is spay a bit of gun oil down the barrel, brush and rod attached to my drill and let rip, it takes 10 seconds and job done looking like new.

Steve

I use to get anal about plastic fowling, I don't bother now to be honest, maybe after a thousand round which takes me a couple of weeks.

Then all I do is spay a bit of gun oil down the barrel, brush and rod attached to my drill and let rip, it takes 10 seconds and job done looking like new.

Steve

Fibre wads will avoid the issue altogether.

Many places insist on fibre on 'environmental' and stock welfare grounds too (if eaten,plastic is bad news).

You may find your patterns are better-probably a little more open-but in reality it makes no differnce to most shooters.

gbal

Simple fix to plastic fouling is not scrubbing nor fancy products.

Just remove the barrel(s), stand them muzzle down in a rubbish bin and squirt them liberally with CRC/WD40/.. and leave them to stand overnight. A simple wipe out with a cloth will have it all out without effort

Plastic shot cup shells produce better and more consistent long range patterns.

Steve,I don't disagree-you'll be familiar with the debates about choke,etc etc.

For wildfowling,thee isa good case for heavy loads,tight choke.

Often for 'ordinary shoters',40 yards is on the limit of shooting ability-and opportunity.

For such shots,tight patterns are probably more of a handicap.

The reallly good shots in Edwardian times seldom missed 40 yard high pheasant-1oz and cylinder barrels(and no plastic at all).

There is a choice-too many are self handicapped by thinking full choke olympic trap loads are suitable-well,they are for trap!

The fibre wads are definitely friendlier all round,though.

Fast, light, even spread-worked superbly then,still does,as said,an option where appropriate.

g

Simple fix to plastic fouling is not scrubbing nor fancy products.

Just remove the barrel(s), stand them muzzle down in a rubbish bin and squirt them liberally with CRC/WD40/.. and leave them to stand overnight. A simple wipe out with a cloth will have it all out without effort

Steve NZ - that sounds like a great little "cheat" i will definately try that!!

Chris,

WD will work (but do not get it into anything you want to keep 'working' :) )

If you are feeling experimental make up some 'Ed's red' which is great for plastic fouling. If you do make some up don't put it into a plastic storage bottle like some have in the past! LOL

T

Archived