I'm not a WIS, but....Omega, Rolex, TAG etc

Been looking for a 'work' watch for a while. This thread is about to cost me £150! Before I push the button, any negatives to consider with the G shock?

Cheers

JD

Not really. G-Shocks are tough as old boots. The only real downside is that they are rather large and aesthetically - well they are a big lump of plastic.

Personally, I reckon that the best value 'tool watch' is the Timefactors PRS-18Q at £185 (although I picked mine up for £120). The quality is excellent, the lume bright and the bead blasted case looks the business. It's the one in the middle of the bottom row in the picture above.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really. G-Shocks are tough as old boots. The only real downside is that they are rather large and aesthetically - well they are a big lump of plastic.

Personally, I reckon that the best value 'tool watch' is the Timefactors PRS-18Q at £185 (although I picked mine up for £120). The quality is excellent, the lume bright and the bead blasted case looks the business. It's the one in the middle of the bottom row in the picture above.

thanks Shuggy, I have big farmer hands so it may distract from them! The alt/baro feature is swinging me towards the rangeman.

Thats something i have always wanted to know. How a watch is pressure tested.

I am familiar with presuure testing pipework, vessels, exchangers, tanks etc with both liquids or Air/gases. But how do you test a watch and if there is a failure what damage to the watch.

On the original thread I have a auto seamaster from 1997 worn everyday spent a few quid refurbishing and servicing two years back but worth every penny.

Bought a traser top end auto nice watch but rarely used. Sold my RW when I couldn't read the date without my glasses on.

As I understand it they are first pressure tested with air and if that is satisfactory they do a wet test. Once the pressurisation is complete in the wet test the watch is usually heated up and then a drop of cold water is dripped onto the crystal, if any condensation is observed the watch is said to have failed. Rolex use a computer to check for condensation rather than doing it by eyeball, guessing it's some sort of optical sensor. The servicing bloke at Rolex UK said that it takes them a day just to do pressure testing alone, apparently in order to build up the extremes of pressure takes them absolutely ages. I'd love to see the test rig they have, I was of the understanding that COMEX made the test kit and that it was only at the Swiss factory but this cannot be the case as I understood that servicing would take place in the UK.

Same here. Use a GShock rangeman 9400. Ace piece of kit gives me atmospherics and altitude for my shooting too. Always a bonus...originally G Shock were first on sale in 1983, and apparently in April 1983.... Oh that right I was born on the 9th April 1983.... Hahaha weird.

Nice collection really I think you need a new G Shock in there also.

All the best

CZV

Jeez I'm feeling old now! I bought one of the G shocks when they first came out - I was at secondary school then. Great watch, have looked at replacing it but quite fancy a Luminox

Jeez I'm feeling old now! I bought one of the G shocks when they first came out - I was at secondary school then. Great watch, have looked at replacing it but quite fancy a Luminox

I have a Luminox and for failing old eyes and poor light it is the best watch I have owned. It is a bit heavy as its built very solidly but compared to the servicing costs mentioned here its a steal. Service and new battery cost me £50. The low light performance is spot on and even in full dark its still easy to make out.

I have an Omega for daily use with that fluorescent glow idea which is ok for a while in the dark but its not a patch on the above after an hour or so out of light. For £25 though it is a good cheapo alternative.

A website that a few of you might be interested in is https://toolwatch.io/ . It's useful for checking the accuracy of your mechanical watches and ensuring they're still within COSC spec etc.

Just registered on https://toolwatch.io very nice site - got to wait 12hrs until my next data point....nerdishly excited!

Been looking for a 'work' watch for a while. This thread is about to cost me £150! Before I push the button, any negatives to consider with the G shock?

Cheers

JD

Did you get it mate?

Love mine. It is a little on the large side. But it soon disappears on you arm when you have worn it a bit. It's a great watch, and for the money I paid for it, I wanted the OD green but decided for everyday wear the black suited those needs.

I have a Luminox and for failing old eyes and poor light it is the best watch I have owned. It is a bit heavy as its built very solidly but compared to the servicing costs mentioned here its a steal. Service and new battery cost me £50. The low light performance is spot on and even in full dark its still easy to make out.

I have an Omega for daily use with that fluorescent glow idea which is ok for a while in the dark but its not a patch on the above after an hour or so out of light. For £25 though it is a good cheapo alternative.

I have found that my watch when you turn your wrist to look at the time in low light or dark out lamping, it auto displays the light comes on and turns off in two, three seconds. Lovely feature. I also like the fact it goes in to power save mode when it's dark and your asleep solar charge too.

CZV

:lol:

Might be.........says the geezer with a 26 year old GMT Master.

Although I've never wanted to change it or collect them.

Mick, heard this one today, 'neat':

If the 12 and 24 hour hands are both set to local time, when the 12 hour hand is pointed at the sun, the 24 hour hand points North.

Hi ! I'm Marc the Founder of Toolwatch.io, thanks for mentioning us here ! Let me know if you have any question :)

Have a great weekend

Marc,

1st question: Is there a way of storing the results to record & monitor performance measurement over time? (Apols, it's not obvious to me)

2nd question: I messed up my first 12hr measure, but my next two have given me +3.9 and then + 1.9 ; with that variance, I suspect the 12hr gap may not be large enough for my competence level, what is the maximum interval between measurements?

Thanks

You already appear to be within COSC spec, so I wouldn't worry too much!

If you ever treat your watch to a service from Duncan at Genesis Watchmaking, you will get a full timing report from his watch timing machine. What you discover is that you can tweak the accuracy of your watch by the way you orientate the watch on your bedside table overnight.

Welcome to the WIS madness of mechanical watches!

You already appear to be within COSC spec, so I wouldn't worry too much!

If you ever treat your watch to a service from Duncan at Genesis Watchmaking, you will get a full timing report from his watch timing machine. What you discover is that you can tweak the accuracy of your watch by the way you orientate the watch on your bedside table overnight.

Welcome to the WIS madness of mechanical watches!

I've never been one to accept COSC as 'good enough'! I first learnt about the shockingly massive COSC tolerance many years ago, when I had a GMT2 serviced, I rang Rolex to ask why it had come back with a gain of +2 sec per day - I was stunned by an answer that was along the lines of "2 seconds? Sir is lucky" ...and that's when I sold that watch (I was in a work role that caused me to be pretty anal about having precise and accurate time).

I've now mellowed (!!! well, with regard to COSC !), but would seek a 2 sec gain as max acceptable (I realise that it varies by day and activity, but as an average).

I imagine this watch may still be 'settling' after a period of disuse. I'm also wary of the relative magnitude of the experimental error I may be introducing with only a 12hr interval.

Just started my own experiment - I've set the watch dead-on with time.is and, almost simultaneously, started a measure on toolwatch.io It'll be interesting to compare the two measurements in 12hrs.

Watch position at night? Aware of that, but there lies madness. I wear my watch non-stop. I will get it regulated to my lifestyle - not the other way around :lol::)

Brown Dog, if you're not having much luck with Toolwatch also try "Watch Accuracy", it's an android app that is really neat, uses your camera and a few other bits. Easier to use than Tool watch and a bit more reliable.

Ref COSC spec Omega have just come out with their new specification, they are chinning off COSC for and using a new, more thorough grading system with tighter tolerences. I believe METAS is the name of the new certifying standard.

How serendipitous that you're also a shooter. I do have one query, it's a shame you cannot add multiple time entries and do an average instead of having to start a new measure every time.

Ref servicing, william rice and swiss-serv are supposed to be very good. Annoyingly all Sea-Dweller and Daytona models must be serviced by Rolex UK, this has been confirmed by Bill Rice's lot as they're the only people who can correctly pressure test. Not sure what special treatment the Daytona's need but guess it's something to do with the complications that are onboard.

Haha, I'm not also a shooter, though my passion for accuracy might transfer into precision shooting too ! I actually noticed we got a lot of visitors coming to Toolwatch.io through this website, this is how I discovered it !

Regarding your feedback, I get your point, we used to have "multiple time entries" but if one measure would have been inputed incorrectly by the user; it would mess up the whole average. We then chose to work with "couple" of measures and since we will display all measures done, it'll be easy to have the average of all "couple" of measures. Does that seem good to you ?

Thanks again for your valuable input :)

Archived