I'm not a WIS, but....Omega, Rolex, TAG etc

I've been struck by a few 'chats' with UKVers that an enthusiasm for precision rifles often seems to correlate with an enthusiasm for top-end watches.

I'll put my hand up to having bought my first Rolex waaaaay back when I was an officer cadet at Sandhurst....never collected Rolexes, or become obsessed about my interest in them, but always seen them as something between 'a tool' and 'backup currency on my wrist' - whilst also being fascinated by the intricate mechanical excellence.

Is the interest widespread amongst us?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might be.........says the geezer with a 26 year old GMT Master.

Although I've never wanted to change it or collect them.

Mick, I clocked your GMT around 18 years ago, when we first met ! :)

Well, you know it is here! Currently 11 watches and counting.

But.. you don't have to go top end to be a proper WIS. CWC, Timefactors, Seiko...there are many affordable options which can be just as satisfying. I currently have a Getat sterile Radiomir homage on my wrist that was custom built to my specs. The Seagull hand-wound movement is freakishly accurate. Cost...only about £100.

I have a TAG now destined for work and every day and anothe rarriving soon for hidays and holidays. Plus another planned for 50 th birthday pressy in a couple of years.

15 year old seamaster chronometer, bought in geneva airport whilst intoxicated. Got an automatic for the price of a battery one in the drunken confusion!

I've been struck by a few 'chats' with UKVers that an enthusiasm for precision rifles often seems to correlate with an enthusiasm for top-end watches.

I'll put my hand up to having bought my first Rolex waaaaay back when I was an officer cadet at Sandhurst....never collected Rolexes, or become obsessed about my interest in them, but always seen them as something between 'a tool' and 'backup currency on my wrist' - whilst also being fascinated by the intricate mechanical excellence.

Is the interest widespread amongst us?

Interesting you mention "back up currency" that's kind of how see mine as well as appreciating precision engineering , its Rolex and worth about £6k , had it circa 20 years.

I have a tag. It was a joint 21st / Xmas present.

I'm coming up 43 and it's never missed a beat (other than service / battery). Its seen some work and seen some dirt but the screen / face still looks new.

Many people call tag's but it's fine by moi!!!!!!

Why? Because it's a real watch, many be better ones, but I'm happy.

Always had a "thing" for Omega and Breitling, though never quite got to owning one,,yet

Actually , I brought a expensive for me watch 20 yrs or more ago , and the reason was , it was a analog type I had not seen , it had a 24 hr face , I thought it was neat , its a quarts movement , so reasonably accurate , BUT no where near what a cheap casio will do .

For me , 2 saving graces , 1 ) I could set the watch bang , and easily when doing snys , and 2 ) I loved the different 24 hr face .

Always thought the 24hr face disserved more wide spead use , obviously not .

Its a Glycline GMT 2000

Actually , I brought a expensive for me watch 20 yrs or more ago , and the reason was , it was a analog type I had not seen , it had a 24 hr face , I thought it was neat , its a quarts movement , so reasonably accurate , BUT no where near what a cheap casio will do .

For me , 2 saving graces , 1 ) I could set the watch bang , and easily when doing snys , and 2 ) I loved the different 24 hr face .

Always thought the 24hr face disserved more wide spead use , obviously not .

Its a Glycline GMT 2000

They are a great watch for the jet lagged traveller and the Serviceman.

Tag for me, bought as a gift by my good lady wife many years ago. It's my only watch. I do have a real deep seated lust for a Breitling Navitimer 01 though. Beautiful thing. Maybe one day...

Watches can be stylish fashion objects; ostentatious displays of wealth and status, collectors items, investments, intricate machines, a 'modders' hobby, or even just tools. All are valid reasons in their own way. Pretty much like guns really!

Don't get me started on fountain pens!

Archived