If there are any forthcoming blank firing competitions can the venue and course of fire be given as I would like to take part in this new and exciting form of shooting.

Rather like F Class competitions where the wunderkind calibre is 7mm in its various forms, I would like to know the optimum blank calibre at say 600 yards to 1000 yards.

I am going to Diggle this weekend for the Flyshoot and would like to try out blanks against the more traditional type of ammunition. This could be the start of something big. So excited!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there are any forthcoming blank firing competitions can the venue and course of fire be given as I would like to take part in this new and exciting form of shooting.

I imagine they'd be called re-enactments.

The beauty of the blanks I fired were that they were very consistent, I'd recommend RG blanks, although the '06 RG blanks were better than the '93 blanks. Though the difference was negligible. They all missed in the same place...

:rolleyes:

The beauty of the blanks I fired were that they were very consistent, I'd recommend RG blanks, although the '06 RG blanks were better than the '93 blanks. Though the difference was negligible. They all missed in the same place...

Hmmmm, a chance to dress up in period costume as well as some serious competition. Sounds good to me. But I am worried that the scores will be rather tight so had better get some practice in then.

Just goes to show that once you've found a blank that suits your rifle stick to it.I was lucky and found a factory blank that was so good it even beat the fabled "one hole group" :)

Been sent this by a pal who's spent a lot of time looking for the best 7.62 blank for stalking use - both in terms of accuracy and terminal ballistics.

He settled on RG.

He's sent me a pic of a buck taken shortly after a nice stalk and high heart shot at 75m with RG 7.62 blank:

roe_zpsrgwf57e7.png

"Less buck for your bang" and has BAAMBI certification.

Nah, they're the stick on ones out of chewing gum packets....

Ha-ha-ha! ... ... ... I haven't seen those since I was a kid and that wasn't yesterday.

Been sent this by a pal who's spent a lot of time looking for the best 7.62 blank for stalking use - both in terms of accuracy and terminal ballistics.

He settled on RG.

He's sent me a pic of a buck taken shortly after a nice stalk and high heart shot at 75m with RG 7.62 blank:

roe_zpsrgwf57e7.png

Not too sure about the back stop for that shot??

T

• 2 weeks later...

25.2 grains of Hodgdon Vapour behind a 26" air slug.

Actually this load could be perfect for stalking point blank butterflys !

Actually this load could be perfect for stalking point blank butterflys !

Speaking of which, an unsuspecting Flutterby was just above a competitor's muzzle at the 600yd point at Cawdor during the Sunday morning phase of the recent Inverness-shire Open. The unobservant Flutterby was there just as the shooter pulled the trigger - the resulting aerobatics were quite spectacular and surprisingly the wings didn't come off.

None of that namby-pamby 5.56 minor calibre stuff - major calibre is the way to go!

2013-edinburgh-one-o-clock-gun.jpg

I 'know' that 'blank" blank!!

Several years ago I was working on the fireworks for Hogmanay and we had a row of 4' scaffold frames along from that fieldpiece! The frames had multiple 6, 8 and 10" mortar shell tubes wired to them and I was in the middle of one wiring up the shell ignitors to the firing box circuits.... I hadn't noticed the crowd gathering near to 1 o'clock and when the bloody gun went off I nearly poo'ed my pants!

Merde......thanks for that Tam (RIP).

The other memorable thing was the bladdered Scots Guard complete with kilt and a bottle of whisky dancing on a 50 shot 3" mortar cake at 5 to midnight! He got removed quite rapidly... before his bits got removed quite rapidly.

Fizz

:ph34r:

At last somebody on here bar me and bradders has a sense of humour, as for the result it looks like there blank .

Plenty of people with a wild sense of humour on here; fortunately most realise that -online- there's a very fine line between being 'internet witty' and simply coming across as an 'internet qunt' ;) - please excuse my French :)

I think we need to be careful of flippant talk about the backstops and wearing funny clothing alongside the dangers associated with the B Class competitions , especially if intending to consider holding any stages at Bisley as I'm sure Mr Mercer will have to ban it and write a letter about it in the magazine .

One question Would it still be a problem to the nra/NSRA if we considered downloading these for indoor and short range use for practice . Obviously at shorter ranges we wouldn't be needing the same mv I don't think ?

Thanks BD , Those seem perfect and would also mean we could do without moderators as well . It would seem another advantage would also be the reduced wear on the linatex splash curtains as I'm sure that even the wad cutter version would be less damaging to the curtains ! Could you suggest a good brand for the wad cutter bullet ? I wasn't sure if you had used them in your original trials or not , given the neat way the grouping had not torn the paper targets as can often happen with round nose bullets ? Thanks

• 5 years later...

Seriously??                                       I think your all missing the point- poi that is !  :lol:

5 minutes ago, gunner said:

Seriously??                                       I think your all missing the point- poi that is !  :lol:

Holy resurrection Batman !

Just over five years and still beating?