Help with an appropriate response..

I was sent the question below by pm (not sure why i was singled out), not sure what an appropriate response would be? Can anyone offer any advice?

My thoughts are if you have to ask, youre not really up to it.

Sent Today, 11:32 AM

Sorry to bother you mate but I'm looking for a bigger calibre for longer range roe my .223 does the job no problem to 250 yrd I have went to 300 but I'm pushing my luck I think .the new piece of ground I have has very little cover so long shots are the norm it'd more than likely be a tikka t3 I'd get because of cost ,in your experience what would you go for for long range roe ? I'm thinking .25/06 or6.5x55 it would also be used for fox I will reload for it .sorry for questions just don't think they'd like it on forum as they get twitchy with people shooting roe over 200 lol especially on the stalking directory ha

I'm not sure to be honest. I like my 260 Rems for shooting roe, but it's very rare for me to shoot at further than about 190 yds. Having spent some time shooting at gongs recently at 400 yds (6 inch) and 575 yds (8 inch), it's incredibly easy to miss the gongs even after practice and getting a sense of what the wind is doing.

I stalked a buck to within 190 yds the other evening and in attempting to get closer, crunched a dead branch and the buck departed. A key part of stalking is not succeeding every time. The roe will be there another day and a closer stalk may be possible the next time round.

Regards

JCS

As much as I like my longer range, it is called stalking for a reason, I'm also assuming this is for north of the border. My advice to him would be to concentrate on fieldcraft rather than equipment in this case.

PS, the use of "lol" in any shooting related question gets me twitchy :huh:

Didn't think you were allowed to take roe with .223 in England? Could be wrong.

As for long distant shots at a sentient creature

''The mother of a Spartan youngster said to her child who was complaining of a too short a sword - ''take a step closer son'.''

Works for me

on occasion when needs must i have taken Roe at 300 with a 243win. i have always had a complete pass through, so no need for me to go bigger i guess.conditions need to be ideal for me, it needs to be a day when your confidence is absolute, probably after some range time, but if you need too you need too,only you can decide, you have to live with it after all.both suggested calibers will do

its not always stalking though is it, so we need to adapt

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In answer to the original question a 243 Win firing any reasonably heavy bullet of appropriate construction at reasonable speed will do the job on Roe effectively and would be the minimum I would be happy with. My stalking partner uses the 85 grain gameking at around 3100 fps. Personally I use a 243 ackley with 105 grain bullet at 3080fps, it is extremely effective at 'extended' range.

I must admit to finding the '300 yards is a long way to shoot a deer' comments extremely tiresome. Given the right conditions, the right rifle/ammo and the right shooter it is a perfectly acceptable distance at which to shoot deer. Indeed on some of my ground it is necessary given the number of Roe that need to be culled and the time frame in which we have to do it.

As for 'drop them on the spot' very few deer drop on the spot with a classic heart and lung strike particularly if they have an inkling that something is up.

Cheers

Richard

As for 'drop them on the spot' very few deer drop on the spot with a classic heart and lung strike particularly if they have an inkling that something is up.

Cheers

Richard

Why would a deer have an "inkling" that something is up? Surely you have shot them before they realise theyre being sniped..

Russ, .243 blaser is 1:10 and wont stabilise Amax, 70gn ballistic tip works well out to 468m

Why would a deer have an "inkling" that something is up? Surely you have shot them before they realise theyre being sniped..

Russ, .243 blaser is 1:10 and wont stabilise Amax, 70gn ballistic tip works well out to 468m

wow , I'm staggered that there is something blaser can't do !

Not all deer that I shoot are 'sniped' as you call it and very often a closer range deer may have an 'inkling' that something is up and be more wary particularly when I am taking clients out, that is merely the point I was trying to make. In those instances I would suggest that the majority of deer will not 'drop on the spot'.

I will of course bow to your undoubted superior knowledge on the subject as demonstrated by your helpful response and prowess on a key board.

Regards

Richard

wow , I'm staggered that there is something blaser can't do !

Its not a blaser issue Russ, its a calibre issue. .243 is borderline inadequate for body shots on deer and only fit for shooting cats and swedes. I like my deer to drop on the spot, and most of them do ( i use 123gn polycarbonate tipped bullets, mostly..)

good evening ,perhaps gary can take this person under his wing and show him the errors of his ways :mad: deer deserve more respect I have seen far to many with broken jaws, shot out wind pipes etc etc if you can kill it cleanly distance shooting is fine .if you can not leave it alone

I'm not sure to be honest. I like my 260 Rems for shooting roe, but it's very rare for me to shoot at further than about 190 yds. Having spent some time shooting at gongs recently at 400 yds (6 inch) and 575 yds (8 inch), it's incredibly easy to miss the gongs even after practice and getting a sense of what the wind is doing.

I stalked a buck to within 190 yds the other evening and in attempting to get closer, crunched a dead branch and the buck departed. A key part of stalking is not succeeding every time. The roe will be there another day and a closer stalk may be possible the next time round.

Think JCS's post sums it up well.

Best now that this thread is locked.

Archived